A bite of truth

A bite of truth

A Chapter by Misty_Prophet
"

How can you actually believe someone, when even the Devil was once an Angel?

"
Her breath formed a white cloud. In evening hours it becomes so cold out on the streets. She and Kaden were standing in the shadows. If the guards caught them, they would be in the holding cell for seven days. It was a huge risk just being here.
- There he is!
Frankie's blood rushed. They saw an approaching shadow. He played with keys around his fingers, while humming a song. He looked so careless. As he unlocked the front door, Kaden stepped out from the shadows and grabbed him, placing a hand over his mouth. 
- Don't fight!
He probably recognized his voice, so there was no fighting back. Kaden lead him into the elevator, constantly looking over his shoulder, to check if anyone has seen them. No one did. There wasn't a camera inside the elevator, so Kaden relaxed. He released the guy, and put down his hood. Frankie stopped the elevator.
- Kaden? What are you doing? - He was confused.
- Shut up! I ask the questions here...
- Frankie, what...?
Frankie didn't say a word. She just stared at Gawent, unable to do anything. Not wanting to do anything. Kaden felt like he was on fire. All the anger, all the pain in him, collecting throughout the years, just started pouring out.
- I know all about the hospital... Or should I say the furnace? - Kaden emphasized the words hospital and furnace. - I know all about the games... I just want to know why?
- What games? What are you talking about? - Gawent looked at him, visibly scared by Kaden. He never saw him in this edition.
- I know the virus isn't real! - Kaden slammed his fist into the wall. - Then why do you still take people underground?
- Kaden, you need to calm down, and tell me what you saw...
- I saw those so called guards, take people underground, inject them with something, probably a poison, and then they burn them! Tell me why! I know your mother worked in the lab, and I know you know! Don't lie to me! - Kaden's face was just inches away from Gawent's. 
- You think they are killed for nothing? - Gawent smiled in disbelief. - You would actually think that?
- I saw it with my own eyes! Those people weren't sick...
- And how would you know?! 
- Stop f*****g with me, the virus isn't real!
- It's f*****g real! - Gawent yelled and pushed Kaden in the chest away from himself. - There is no cure! There's no way to save the infected ones, so they have to burn them, or the disease would spread! 
- Stop lying...
- I'm not... Frankie, you're a med... You know what the rabies are? Well, this is worse... It sends you to this stage where you don't know what are you doing, you have no self-awareness, no guilt, no conscience, nothing! You just start to destroy everything in your way... And there's no way to stop it. The person that they once were no longer exists... It's so f*****g real...
- You're lying... - Kaden's eyes, burned with anger.
- I'm not! Check your forearm... - Kaden didn't move. - Go on, check it... Isn't there a little bump, beneath your elbow? - Kaden slid his fingers across his forearm. There really was a little bump. His instinct told him to trust Gawent, and his eyes slowly returned focus on him. When he spoke, he spoke in a mild voice. - That is a chip. It tracks your bloodstream for signs of infection. That's how they know who is ill, even before the diseased ones do... 
- How is it transferred? Air? - Frankie stepped out the corner. She looked frightened, exhausted and fragile.
- There are several mutations of the virus, some are extremely virulent and transferred through air. The common one is transferred by animals. To be precise, over their bite.
- And no cure? - Frankie's voice sounded desperate.
- No... - Gawent's look fell onto the floor. There was a moment of silence, before Kaden spoke.
- I want to get out of this place...
- So do I... But to go where? It's just desert all around us...
- If we just keep on walking, we will eventually reach another city... 
- And you think they'll accept us? You think it's better in some other town?
- Anything is better than this! - The anger in Kaden's voice couldn't be ignored.
- You're mad! Thinking about leaving this, for something probably worse?
- Exactly... It's just probably worse... Is there a way to leave the city?
Gawent exhaled hopelessly. 
- There is a way... Through the storage unit. It exits somewhere near the only tree outside the walls. But it's impossible to do it!
- Everything is possible, if you wish it hard enough... - Filled with determination, Kaden turned to leave.
- Frankie, tell him not to do it... You'll both get killed! And little Kara, don't even think about taking her, too!
- We go together, as a family... - Now, knowing that there is a way to escape, he was prepared to do anything, and expect everything.
- You've completely lost your mind... - Gawent couldn't believe in what he was hearing.
- Maybe... I just don't want to live in a metal can any more...
Kaden turned around to leave, but Gawent's hand on his shoulder stopped him.
- Wait... You'll need plans of the underground units, the schedule of guard's patrols and weapons... You can't do it over one night...
- I'll manage. - Kaden unstopped the elevator and sliding doors opened.
- Wait! Let me help you... I couldn't live with myself knowing I sent you right into your deaths. Give me a couple of days to check things out, and I'll get back to you. Just lay low, and don't do anything foolish. And... - Gawent reached in his backpack for a small metal box. - Here... Lab created ampoules that could slow down the disease. There's no one to help you out there, once you're infected. You'll need it...
- Thanks. - Kaden raised his hood, and placed the box under his shirt.  He exited the elevator, but Frankie stood still, with her eyes fixed on Gawent. Suddenly she wrapped her hands around his neck and whispered: Thank you! Then she rushed out following her brother's footsteps. 


© 2012 Misty_Prophet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So, I've read the story from the beginning again, and the first thing I'd like to say is how over a few edits the flow of your story seems much cleaner and flows better. The characters are easily defined and their situation becomes apparent quite quickly. I must say, with these last two chapters I'm pretty hooked. I'll probably read the next three chapters instantly after this comment.

I have to honestly say that I can't find any faults thus far with your world - no inconsistencies spring to mind. Which generally leaves me to love the little detail touches such as Frankie's apparent crush on Gawent. And, I know you've already extended it and probably don't intend to extend it further - I'm just saying, it deffinitely could easily make an interesting and readable 20+ chapters.

But enough random praise... must read on.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So, I've read the story from the beginning again, and the first thing I'd like to say is how over a few edits the flow of your story seems much cleaner and flows better. The characters are easily defined and their situation becomes apparent quite quickly. I must say, with these last two chapters I'm pretty hooked. I'll probably read the next three chapters instantly after this comment.

I have to honestly say that I can't find any faults thus far with your world - no inconsistencies spring to mind. Which generally leaves me to love the little detail touches such as Frankie's apparent crush on Gawent. And, I know you've already extended it and probably don't intend to extend it further - I'm just saying, it deffinitely could easily make an interesting and readable 20+ chapters.

But enough random praise... must read on.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Added on April 25, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012


Author

Misty_Prophet
Misty_Prophet

Serbia



About
Hi, call me Jay :D I'm an uprising writer from Serbia and my favorite genre is thriller/horror. My favorite writer is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Please read something of his, his writing style is am.. more..

Writing