These Goodbyes

These Goodbyes

A Poem by jenbem

 

I’m alone. While you’re speeding
down the interstate.
How far could you go, can you go,
before turning around and
letting me whisper again onto your bare,
sweat glistened skin.
 
Dread slides down my cheeks,
wet and hot and black,
mirroring the tread on your tires.
I know these goodbyes.
 
I know the two hour drive
away from the boy
who caressed my jutty hips and
clung to my thighs, begging me not to
leave.
 
I know the fifteen hour flight
away from the man
who sang me sweet lullabies,
played my body like a harp,
and swore I was his muse
 
And I know your six hour race
towards North Carolina.
Towards your own life
of calloused hands, leathery skin
and simple pleasures.
 
Away from this woman
who promised you
a permanent love,
who had never before been
on the receiving end
of goodbye.

© 2008 jenbem


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thats so sad but beautiful like our life Yos

Posted 15 Years Ago


amazing doesn't begin to cover it. this was...wonderful.
i definately understand the sentiment here. i'm usually the one to run (figuratively or literally), and the first time it happened to me was hard. i'm still not completely over it.

this really was a great poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I don't know if it's true or not, but I've always held on to the idea that everything that happens has it's purpose. And I think Rain said it best: 'they are also the goodbyes that lead me to my wife.' You've penned this incredibly well. Very Raw. It succeeds at bringing back a lot...

It's this that we share, that makes our pain meaningful.
Bringing a greater understanding and a higher ability to relate; to love.

Wonderful work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


What a great piece. The many, many goodbyes that still haunt. I wrote a piece called " To All Those Who Broke My Heart." These are loves I still recall, but they are also the goodbyes that lead me to my wife. Had any of those turned out different, I would never have met her. Lady Shade said something very interesting.." I love lost loves." Your piece, although sad, is also filled with poignant pages of your book. Memories of "what if's" and " If only's." What a hollow book it would be without the loves you speak of. Your piece has such great lines, and was written from the heart. I loved it. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How blessedly amazing and vivid... the imagery flows like this river of discontent, a swelling sadness that is profound yet so powerful and in control. I love the loss of lovers... the reality of those drifting into their other lives... the strength of never being willing to be left... the desire to always behold even what cannot be contained. I was mesmerized by so many lines, I can't toss them out without simply reposting the entire work of art. ...but... "begging me not to leave" "played my body like a harp" "I know these goodbyes"... so much of those words slide through me quicksilver... this serpent of truth that evokes far too much memory and far too many thoughts I don't wish to deal with tonight. Lovely poem with an edge that lights up my wit and gave me that Cheshire cat grin that I always get when I feel inspired... or insatiable... or both. My incredible reverence and a toast of my fantastic cocktail of words, dreams, and, well, what I usually add to my cocktail, to you tonight. And have a wonderful holiday.

Posted 16 Years Ago


The stanza that hit me the most was - "Dread slides down my cheeks, wet and hot and black, mirroring the tread on your tires. I know these goodbyes."

I think you are a very good writer. I've done the whole long distance relationship thing. Whether temporary or permanent, this piece really portrays the longing and loss of having to say those goodbyes that we don't want to say.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 7, 2008

Author

jenbem
jenbem

Baltimore, MD



About
I'm a senior English major at Towson University. I am also the managing editor of Towson's Columbia Scholatic Press silver circle winning literary magazine, Grub Street. I am the captain of the colorg.. more..

Writing
Too Hard Too Hard

A Poem by jenbem


Graduation Graduation

A Poem by jenbem



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Little Bones Little Bones

A Poem by Bubo


Ribbons Ribbons

A Story by jenbem