The Forbidden Mushroom of Misfortune (fourth)

The Forbidden Mushroom of Misfortune (fourth)

A Story by Jenig
"

This is the last section of this story

"

THE END RESULT

 

 

That morning, the two mushroom-eaters found themselves in the town square in front of a judge: the Mayor.  Neither Philip nor Penelope knew what to expect, but didn't look forward to whatever it would be.  Maybe the dungeon for a few years, banishment to Wadsupia, having all of their toes bitten off, no one knew what a punishment for eating the Forbidden Mushroom would be.  No one had eaten of it for such a long time.

            "Hear yea, Hear yea!" The mayor began, sitting on a chair in the balcony of the Town Hall so that all could see and hear, a solemn look on his face as he gazed out at the entire town.  Everyone had come to see what would happen.

            "We are gathered here to discuss the punishment for those who have eaten of the Forbidden Mushroom of Misfortune!"  A gasp went up from the townspeople, and the condemned sat below, tied up on a wheeled platform and glancing hatefully at each other.  Then the Mayor went on.

 

"The punishment for this crime is traditionally the worst thing that could happen to the culprit, or in this case, culprits.  And I'm afraid we all know what that would be in this case."

            The couple cringed, waiting for the blow.  Would they have to work in the fertilizer fields wearing rough wool robes?  Would they be left in the middle of the Farthest Woods to find their way out alone, or maybe never? 

            The Mayor continued.  "We all know these two to be respectable, loving, wonderful role-models to our children and are what we would like our children to turn out to be.  We have all seen how they've changed from their hateful ways to the purest love of any we have seen! It is obvious how much they love each other, and it’s the best thing that could ever happen to two people.   

Therefore this is harder for me to say than any sentence I have ever pronounced.  Their punishment will be..."   

            Penelope wept while Phillip bent his head in waiting.  They could get a sentence worse than death!   

            "...They shall be separated for all eternity," the mayor sobbed dramatically. "Phillip and Penelope shall nevermore see each other's faces!  They are condemned to lonelihood from each other and will be sent to different parts of the land."

            A tremendous cry rose from the gathered crowd, the mayor had to retreat, sobbing, from the balcony, Penelope's mother fainted, and general mass distraught ensued.  No one could believe the mayor could pass such a sentence! 

 

            Especially the accused.

            Having been ready for the worst, Penelope and Phillip were steeling against horror when they realized what had been said.  Never see each other again?  Sent far from each other?  Punishment?   

            The urge to laugh and leap for joy was just barely suppressed by both, and for the first time since they were betrothed, they smiled at each other.  Somehow this had suddenly turned into the greatest day of their lives!

            Hands suddenly reached for them, townspeople hugged and patted Phillip and Penelope reassuringly, tears were washed over them, and finally they came to their senses.  Doing their best to get as close to each other as they could, to hold each other, to look as though they needed one more touch when actually they were pushing each other away, they were led to their parents' respective houses and they were made ready for their journeys to opposite corners of the kingdom.

            Somehow the entire mess of murder and blame was cleared, and all without the public knowing what was truly going on.  In fact, the entire town of Luckawry lamented for the young couple more than they had for the Baker.   

 

            The Forbidden Mushroom laughed a hearty laugh.  It had caused a sense of calamity in an entire town!  Never had it accomplished such a deception!  It could rest easily again, its powers now satisfied thanks to the help of Temptrad the elf.   The town resumed a somewhat regular life again, Phillip and Penelope found the lives they'd always promised themselves far away from each other, the Mayor’s daughter was indeed married, the Great Mushroom slept, and consequently so did Temptrad.

 

 

 

© 2014 Jenig


Author's Note

Jenig
Thank you for coming this far in the story. I seriously don't know whether it's any good, or maybe too corny, or what. Reviews would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
Added on May 28, 2014
Last Updated on May 28, 2014
Tags: forbidden, mushroom, misfortune, fourth

Author

Jenig
Jenig

Portland, OR



About
I really love building written works, placing words like bricks to create a beautiful story-telling structure. Or sometimes just a practical one. Or a lifting, inspirational structure that turns a p.. more..

Writing
The Porpinaut The Porpinaut

A Story by Jenig