Insanity Plea!

Insanity Plea!

A Poem by Gerald Ray
"

True story about the Laker's when they were in the playoffs o TV

"

It must have been against the law, surely that must have been true!

If not it was truly deserving to be because it was certainly a dastardly thing to do!

Who would do such an evil deed the likes of which are beyond compare?!

Who could be that cold hearted and most likely deserve the electric chair?!

Who could have invented such a diabolical plot?!

Were they the clowns with the exploding cigars and whoopee cushions most likely as not?

Who had finally graduated to bigger and to them better things so illicit?

No matter the consternation and down right aggravation their “super trick” may solicit!

Had they been hiding somewhere out of sight snickering in the dark

Planning the next cruel bit of tomfoolery they would propagate just for the lark?!

Were they the kind that justifiable homicide laws were meant to deal with specifically?!

I know if I could have captured one of them at that desperate moment no other defense, for me, would there be!

You see it was basketball at its finest; a game seven elimination battle was at hand!

The superstars were out in force; it was the battle of the titans the very best in all the land!

I was for neither team. I watched only for the sport.

One or the other combatant would win and meet my team on our home court

So it wasn’t really that important that I know which team had won

But Lord have mercy it was a showdown that would go down in history when all was said and done!!

It was nearing the end of the fourth quarter, there was a minute and fifteen seconds left to play!

The team that was behind was charging strong and with just six points to catch up, was determined to find a way

Their star shooter jumped in the air, the ball was on it way to the hoop

When they took charge of my TV, ruined my day and threw me for a loop!

I never got to see if that ball hit the rim and bounced away

Or swished through the net and gave the underdogs new life for the moment that day!

Because quick as wink the channel changed and a corpse lay on the autopsy table instead!

And I’ll tell you true before that night was through he wasn’t the only human I wished was dead!

“Bones” was on instead of my game and it took a moment for my mind to comprehend!

How in the world could this be happening; was I dreaming or had my mind finally gone around the bend!

What and who had decided to lock me out of the loop at that late stage?!

Immediately I felt my stomach tighten in anger and my mind fill with unreasoned rage!

I cursed at the TV and fought to control the urge to make it pay for my pain!

My feeling of betrayal was nearly complete and had brought me to a point close to insane!

I barely contained myself knowing a new TV was something right then I could not afford!

But damn it, it had been my friend right up until it decided to change channels of its own accord!

My grandson, who was present, brought order to the debacle before it escalated

For a moment there it felt like someone had aimed a well placed kick and I had been emasculated!

By the time I figured out how to restore the channel the game was no longer on!

The game was long since over, the court was empty and the teams had already gone!

And I was left to seethe and curse the TV and the network but most of all, the person responsible for setting that changer!

Had that culprit been at hand right then make no mistake, he or she may have been in some real grave danger!

No one in the family will take responsibility for the fiasco out of fear I would suppose

And that was probably a wise decision though I don’t think I would have harmed them but then again who knows

Changing channels on a man the way the channel was changed on me

May be reason for violent behavior, perhaps even grounds for an insanity plea!

© 2014 Gerald Ray


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
Added on May 12, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: basketball, TV, remote control, preprogrammed, channel changed, game

Author

Gerald Ray
Gerald Ray

Victorville, CA



About
I am an old Californian who likes to write poetry and am working on my third book. The first two were published. more..

Writing