The Crystal Ball

The Crystal Ball

A Story by Jesse Booker

I was at the market when the Wizard came to town. I was minding my business, surveying the goods, wanting to be left alone. Yet, here he came, crystal ball in hand, loudly proclaiming to the people, “Hear ye! Hear ye!” “Mary, mother of God…” I uttered in disgust.

What is with this man, that he must clamor for the attention and adoration of everyone around him? Will he wither and die if someone, anyone is minding anything but him? Must he constantly remind everyone of his existence?

“Behold!” He proclaims as he holds out his crystal ball, “Behold my crystal ball! For inside, it contains the answer! Yea, the answer to life itself! The key to happiness lies within! You will see what can be the difference between joy and sorrow; good and wicked; loyalty and loneliness; yea, even salvation and damnation!”

Some people clamor, some mutter, I keep to myself; but this man, and others like him, seem to possess some sort of extra sense, for they are drawn to those who seek to quietly avoid their attention. Alas, he approached me, and said, “Behold, young man, the key to your future.” I humored him, in hopes that he would be satisfied and leave me alone. I gazed into his crystal ball…and just as I thought, the man was a fraud…for all I saw within was my own reflection.

© 2016 Jesse Booker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved the beggining of this, had me intrigued staight away. I really got captivated by the wizards dialogue and could fee the charated coming over so strongly.I hope you follow ths up with something more - i would definately read more of this.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I loved the beggining of this, had me intrigued staight away. I really got captivated by the wizards dialogue and could fee the charated coming over so strongly.I hope you follow ths up with something more - i would definately read more of this.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmmm, was he a fraud or was the point that you are the key to your own future... :) I enjoyed this story and it definitely sparked the imagination as to what the world looks like around this man, who this wizard is, if there is something in this mans future, etc. The story could definitely be lengthened if you ever wanted to. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

403 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 29, 2016
Last Updated on August 29, 2016
Tags: The, Crystal, Ball, Short, Story, Jesse, Booker, fiction

Author

Jesse Booker
Jesse Booker

Morristown, TN



About
I'm just getting into writing poetry. I'm hoping to cultivate this into a new hobby. more..

Writing