Invisiblility

Invisiblility

A Story by JesseLKellogg
"

A man gets the opportunity to be invisible.

"

Invisibility

                I was briskly walking down 2nd Avenue in New York City trying to avoid trouble. Downtown Bronx wasn’t known for being a friendly place.  It was a cloudy afternoon, but there was an odd calm about it. Fresh air rushed down the colossal concrete jungle as I strode down the peaceful sidewalk. The cold air gave me goose bumps and heightened my senses.  Without warning a man promptly tugged me into a gloomy alley. My first thoughts were, “Is he going to kill me, rob me, or beat me up?”

To my surprise he said, “Sorry to startle you. I’m a traveling salesman; would you be interested in buying a 24 hour invisibility potion?” At first I thought he was joking, but I quickly realized he was completely serious by his stoic facial expression.

I asked, “How did you get it?”

He calmly answered with a chuckle, “I found it in my grandfather’s attic.” Now thoroughly interested, I asked him if I could see the bottle.

“Here it is!” The unusual man said. The bottle was made of crystal with a beautiful flower design and shadow figure on the front and back. Although skeptical, I was still fascinated by the possibility of being invisible.

“How much does it cost?” I asked with high hopes.

“1000 dollars in cash would do.” He answered with a smile. At the time I only had a part time job, so money was on the minimal side.  I came up with a grand plan to make money off this potion. If I was able to get a job helping the police, I could easily make back my money or even more. After telling the man to wait where he was, I quickly ran to the nearest ATM and took out the 1000 dollars. Returning within five minutes, I reluctantly gave the stranger the money in exchange for the potion. I hastily ran to the street and called a taxi.

“To the main police station please.”

After arriving I strode up to the reception desk and asked to speak with the chief.  I explained its importance and she hesitantly showed me the way to his office. There I sat face to face with the police chief of New York City; it was humbling.

“Sir I have a potion that will turn me and anything touching me invisible for a 24 hour period.”

“I’m sorry young man, but that’s nearly impossible to believe.”

“Well if I drink it and turn invisible, could you give me a job to bust a gang’s plan?”

“Only if it works, but I don’t want to get anyone hurt so you’ll have to be very careful. Plus, we’ll have to thoroughly check out your past and do a few drug tests.”

“Alright sounds great! I have nothing to hide.”

The chief took me to another room and sat me down. He took my finger print, a sample of my spit and a urine sample. After looking up all I had done the chief was satisfied I was no criminal.

“There’s a nearby gang called the Bangers. An undercover agent gave his life to get this information so don’t mess this up. They are planning a large heist to rob a bank. This afternoon they will gather together and talk about the specifics. We don’t know the details, but with this potion we could get them.”

“Alright, how much would you pay if I got the information you needed to bust them?”

“The police would pay you ten grand on the spot.”

“Then it’s a deal! I’ll get started right away.”

“Okay but first let’s test and see if it works.”

“Alright sounds good.” I proceeded to chug down the potion.  I felt an unusual tingling sensation run over my body. Goose bumps sprung up all over my skin, then I blacked out.

I was quickly hurried to the nearest hospital. On the way, I began to turn invisible. When we arrived I was completely unseen. At first the doctor was very skeptical, but once he touched my invisible flesh he believed the chief. Even though he felt my invisible skin, the doctor was still boggled by the phenomenon.  After blindly analyzing my condition, the doctor realized the potion, was so strong it poisoned me. There was a small amount of arsenic within the potion. The doctor gave me a counteractive antidote to reverse the poisonous fluids. When I came to, I hastily got out of bed and spoke with the chief. At first he looked right through me.

“Are you okay chief?”

“Sorry I still can’t see you, the potion worked!”

“Amazing! I thought the man who sold it to me was lying. The police chief said the gang was going to meet in two hours so we had to hurry to their hideout. Wasting no time, we left the hospital in the chief’s cruiser. After an hour we arrived at the building. We scoped out the building the gang was supposed to be meeting in. The chief gave me the equipment I needed: A recording device, a video recorder, a walkie-talkie and a silent camera.

“There are two entrances with bouncers on each side. They are always alert so you can’t make a sound. You’ll have to enter right behind someone else entering.”

“Sounds risky, but I’ll try it.”

                In an hour I got out of the car and proceeded to the building. A tall man approached the door and I right behind him. Without a pause we went through the doors into the gangsters bar. There were two rooms; the one to the right was their meeting hall. I carefully crept to the edge of the doorway and peeped in. Two dark looking characters were sitting down and looking at a map of the bank. I quietly took out my camera and took pictures of the men and map. Thirty minutes later three other men came in and sat down. The room smelled of cigars and alcohol. To my surprise a bouncer came and closed the door behind him. I was locked in a room with five deadly criminals and only one and a half hours until becoming visible again. The first thirty minutes they talked about how they were going to get in the bank without alarming security. I recorded their whole conversation with anticipation.

 Without warning one of the gang members asked if anyone was afraid of continuing the heist.  One man stood up and approached the door, but the other man shot him straight through the heart. My body was straight in line with the man who was shot. The bullet traveled through the other’s heart and straight into my arm, shattering my shoulder bone. For a moment I assumed I would scream, but, lucky for me, I was in such shock I couldn’t even whisper.

 I looked down and there was a puddle of blood pooling on the ground. It was becoming visible when it hit the ground. I panicked and let out a small cry.  The room became silent and the man with the gun carefully scanned the room. One of the bouncers walked slowly around the room. When he came near me he spotted the blood and told the others. I tried to stay away from him but he kept coming closer. My head started spinning and I thought I was going to black out. When I saw clearly again the bouncer was staring me in my invisible face. Thankfully he stopped within inches of me and unwillingly turned back towards the door when his master called him.

When the bouncer took a few paces away, I radioed the chief. The invisibility started to wear off and I started sweating profusely. Without warning the SWAT team busted through the windows and door.  I was then rushed back to the same hospital to bandage my arm.  The damage was so severe that I lost my arm. On the bright side, the chief congratulated me and gave me the 10 thousand dollars he promised. Although I lost my arm, I became 9000 dollars richer and had a great story to tell for life. 

© 2015 JesseLKellogg


Author's Note

JesseLKellogg
I'd be happy to hear anything I could improve on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, great job! Definitely a great story, very interesting and great twists in the plot! I didn't notice anything that really seemed out of place or anything. Keep it up!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

JesseLKellogg

8 Years Ago

Thanks Jeremy. Apparently I received the highest score I could get for this paper. Thus, I hope ther.. read more
Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

You're welcome! Yeah I really enjoyed it! Keep it up man!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 3, 2015
Last Updated on November 3, 2015
Tags: Invisibility, invisible, gangs, Bangers, thugs, bouncers, guns, gun, blood, heist, hospital, SWAT, police, police chief

Author

JesseLKellogg
JesseLKellogg

Lecanto, FL



About
I'm a simpleminded sinner saved by the grace of God. I love to making others smile and laugh; it's my part-time job. Give'em Heaven! more..

Writing
Impact Impact

A Story by JesseLKellogg