The Night

The Night

A Story by New Identity
"

A frightful journey of one mans night.

"
The night

The sun sets and she rises. Her hounds are restless, ready for their nightly travels. She arises from the east and the howls pierce the silence that night has offered. Suddenly the leaves begin to rustle; a breeze slowly churns into a frightful storm. The night has begun! 

The un-rested rise from their tombs by the light of the pale moon; they began to dance to a melody that only they seem to hear. Around and around they circle with joined hands. Bone on bone they dance throughout the night celebrating the life they once lived and the lack thereof they suffer now. Why they rise and dance this and every night no soul knows nor dare they ask.

The hounds rejoice in her presence as they take ghostly flight into the air. The sights she sees from above are frightful too most, but these ancient eyes have seen it all. 

A shaking hand holds a single lit candle as shadows dance upon the chamber walls. Frightened eyes search the dark as they reach out for some understanding.  The shadows began to close in as the flame slowly dies. 

A swift swipe of her wings and the souls of the lost are gathered like scattered leaves. Again upon this night she sings a silent song calling the souls to arrive within her grasp. Try as they might there is little fight that can be given. 

I sit here trying as I might to keep my mind occupied with these words I write. Yet I oft hear my name being called from deep within the woods outside my chamber window. As of late I sometimes think I hear a song being played. Tonight an urge to dance becomes apparent as I began to slumber here upon my desk.

I awoke to the songs of the morning being played once again. The birds of my garden, my orchestra of morning has once again awakened me from a dreadful night. I arose and stretched as my weary bones creaked and cracked. I wondered a bit to peer through my chamber window where I saw the hound's horrid paws have trampled amongst my flowers. I turned quickly in a rush and there I was. Still and cold as the floor on which I lay.

© 2014 New Identity


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on February 4, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2014
Tags: Horror, Night tales, experimental, Hecate, death, souls, leaves, candle

Author

New Identity
New Identity

Pueblo, CO



About
I'm an artist by trade, but have been driven to explore writing. So here I am. I have been writing on and off for many years, some shared, some not. Just here to see were this path takes me, the o.. more..

Writing