Death at a Glance

Death at a Glance

A Story by RIO
"

Lexi is completely fed up with life, with being ignored at home and at school and one day decides to end it. Little does she know that her decision carries acute consequences...

"

Death at a Glance

 

Heartache. Sorrow. Gut-wrenching pain.

This is how I’ve felt all my life. I look in the mirror. I know what I look like; long, curly, unkempt hair. Pale and pasty with eyes that are far apart. Anorexic.

 

But it is not my reflection that looks back at me. It’s Lissy; my only friend.

 

“It ends today,” I tell her. “I’m ending all of it today.”

“What? Wait!” I hear her say but I’m not listening. I walk to my bed and reach underneath my pillow. I pull it out. Lissy gasps.

“Lexi…Lexi, don’t do this.” Her voice is shaky. “Please don’t do this,” she repeats, about to cry. I look at her, really look at her. She looks like me, only pretty and well groomed. She’s olive skinned and skinny too. I’ve always wanted to be like her. I notice that her mascara is smudged; she’s crying.

 

I look away and stare at the object in my hand. It’s been lying underneath my pillow for two days now. Just lying. Lying in wait. Waiting for the day when I’m brave enough to do it.

 

Now the wait is over.

 

“Why are you doing this, Lexi?” Lissy asks. Her words suddenly ignite a fury deep within me. I’m fuming. How can she, of all people, ask such a question?

“Why am I doing this?” I burst out. “Lissy, all my life I’ve been ignored. Invisible to the world, including Mum and Dad. I’m sick of walking past the hallway in school to the sound of sniggers from virtually everyone. I’m sick of that stupid psychiatrist telling me that I’m crazy. I’m sick, sick, sick. Sick of the world! I slide down to the floor, sitting against the wall. My shoulders shake uncontrollably and my breathing becomes harder. I’m very close to having a full-on panic attack.

 

“Lexi, you don’t have to feel this way”, Lissy’s voice is full of emotion. “If you actually made an effort with your parents you’d see that they both love you and your little sister equally! You’re not invisible. Come on, no one even sees me. And that silly shrink doesn’t know what he’s talking about- he’s the mad one. As for school, you can always transfer to a new one and start all over again. But please, I beg you, don’t kill yourself”. She takes a deep breath. “If you die, I die. We’re one and the same, remember?”

 

Downstairs I hear Dad give a shout of laughter and Mum’s probably tending to Mimi- as always. Everyone seems so happy without me. I look at the knife. It looks…oddly inviting. In an instant, I make my decision.

“Lexi!” Lissy warns. “Don’t do this. You’re never going to escape pain. You’re going to have to learn to fight it!”

“Bye bye world,” I mutter. I feel exhilarated. Excited. Joyous. I raise the knife above my head.

And bring it down to my stomach with overwhelming force. The cold feel of the knife pierces my skin. I gasp. A shrill sound escapes through my lips; I’m screaming. Oh, but it hurts! I’ve never felt such excruciating pain in my life. The pain seeps into my very soul and threatens to rip my heart into pieces. Why am I not dying? It was meant to be quick. Here one second, gone the next. Death isn’t meant to hurt…it’s supposed to be bliss. A means to an end. Satisfying. Peaceful.

 

I look up at Lissy. Her face is frozen in shock. I blink in tears. What is happening to her? Slowly and surely, she’s disintegrating; crumbling before my very eyes! No, it can’t be! Two hot tears escape from my eyes. I’m crying. Why am I crying?

 

“Lexi?” Mum calls, running up the stairs. She must have heard my desperate screams. My door suddenly bursts open. “Alexia!” Mum screams. “Roger!” Mum calls to Dad, “Call an ambulance! Oh, Lexi, what have you done?” she runs to where I lie on the floor and gently holds me in her arms, the tears pouring down her face and dripping unto mine.

Dad comes into the room, staring in shock and hurt. He’s carrying Mimi- my baby sister. She, too, is crying but I know she’s oblivious to what’s going on. Lucky her.

 

I look away from mum, I can’t bear it anymore. Suddenly, I make out something hidden underneath my pile of clothes. It’s a picture frame- cracked and forgotten. I see myself, mum, dad and Mimi in the photo. We’re all smiling, well, all of us except Mimi- she’s crying again. I look…happy.

 

Oh…what have I done?

 

 Heartache. Sorrow. Gut-wrenching pain.

These feelings have haunted me all my life. Must I feel them at death too?

I can’t breathe. Mum’s getting blurry. So is dad. Mimi’s wails are fading.

“I love you, mum.” I try to say but all that comes out of my mouth is blood. “Dad, I’m really sorry.” I wanted to say more but I knew my time was quickly running out. “When Mimi grows up, tell her…tell her that I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for her. To guide her through life. Tell her…not to make the same mistakes I did. To enjoy life.”

“Alexia!” Mum screams in despair. “Don’t you dare die on me right now. Please!”

 

 

“Please, I don’t want to go,” I say to no one in particular but I know someone is listening.

 

I sigh. The pain is finally fading.

 

“Bye bye world.” It’s funny how mere minutes ago I muttered those words with elation. Now I say them with utter regret.

I laugh forcefully. Lissy was right after all. I’d still feel pain, even at death. I look for her but she’s nowhere to be found.

 

I feel weak. I’m…cold.

My eyes flutter shut. I take one last painful breath. I feel light-headed and strange.

Darkness.        

I pass out.

 

 

Yet my heart still beats.

 

© 2010 RIO


Author's Note

RIO
Just a one-shot, not going to add anymore to it. I really hope that you enjoyed it and soory if it made anyone...uncomfortable.
Um, I wasn't sure what genre it was exactly so I just classed it as mystery...
Anywho, thanks for reading and honest comments please!
=D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well. I literally moved in my seat with uncomfortable disbelief that I was reading this. As the mother of 5 young women daughters I was moved to tears.. fear of the worst kind that any of them would not have the self esteem they need to survive the cruel years. In my curiosity.. I wonder if the best friend Lissy... is an imaginary friend.. and if she is then I think the name is fitting. If she is supposed to be a live girl friend.. then I think you should think about changing her name to help clearify the girls. Just a thought. If she is only in Lexi's mind.. then I think you should definately keep her, so he division is less clear. How very sad, and what a terrible nightmare for the family of a girl who was going through a state of confusion of self.. I am left quite sad and wish it wasn't my last review of the day.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, very very well written. I enjoyed this and i honestly couldn't stop reading. The ending was unexpected and sent a powerful message. Thank you for sending this for me to review and thank you for sharing. Keep writing :) your an amazing author.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow this was amazing. This actually made me tear up! your descriptions and use of words blew my mind. This is good! Really good. I expect to read one of your books someday! Only one thing, I'm confused, did she really die?! haha.
very good(:

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow i love this it is verry good but you do need to work on your grammer, but over all it was amazing really loooking foreword to reading more of your work.. ;) keep writing.
~sunkiss2018

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting write. I like the initial complexity of the character that resolves itself before the......end? Inner struggle, dreams revealed in the mirror, self doubt and on. Real physical pain, realizing the pain caused to another bring your character back into focus. Again an overall interesting write.
Maybe build your descriptions a bit, add color or texture to your story just to liven it up. You did with the description of Lissy and lexi keep it up.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A little sticky in some places but overall very good. Description is wonderful but grammar could use some work. Its rawness and heartwrenching moments pierce me right in the heart. Emotion just floods from this piece.



----EverEmma----

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed the story. What I mean to say is that I was able to ride the emotional roller-coaster with Lexi very easily. It was thrilling and emotional, and sometimes making the reader uncomfortable can be a good thing because it means that you where able to struck a cord. Everything was clear and concise. I loved it. Great Job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


you are a very talented writer! you had me on the edge of my sit during this whole story! can't wait for you to post more! please do post more! this story could even be turned into a whole book if you wanted to. with the mystery of her friend that dissapeared, and the photo in the frame, her life before she killed herself. great plot! wonderful writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful writting, no one see's the pain until it's to late sometimes, stories like this encourage us to try harder, very powerful emotion, I love it

Posted 13 Years Ago


THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE EVER READ- EVER- LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU MAKE MORE!!!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!!!!!!! READ MINE- IT ISNT NEAR YOURS- I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


it shows the battle that the main charter is fighting with i really like it. good detail maybe put it under teen and young adult, for the genre.. lots of teens deal with that

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

857 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 13, 2010
Last Updated on October 13, 2010
Tags: Death at a glance lexi pain agon

Author

RIO
RIO

Abuja, FCT, Nigeria



About
I like to read and write. Now try saying that to someone when they ask what you do for 'fun' :p more..

Writing
Unfound Doors Unfound Doors

A Poem by RIO


The Eye The Eye

A Story by RIO


Night of the Lamia Night of the Lamia

A Story by RIO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Happiness Happiness

A Story by Chris Barker


Lethal Attraction Lethal Attraction

A Story by RIO