Lethal Attraction(cont'd)

Lethal Attraction(cont'd)

A Story by RIO

Lethal Attraction (cont’d)

 

A searing headache welcomed Lilith back to consciousness and, squinting to adjust to her dimly-lit surroundings, she found she was in a dingy cellar, with rodents for company. Every part of her ached; good thing she was very used to pain.

 

 “Ah, the sleeping beauty finally awakes,” a velvet voice spoke. Lilith was highly aware of a tight rope that bound her wrists. She struggled frantically to free herself, but to no avail.

 

Again, the voice spoke and Lilith thought she detected a hint of amusement in his voice. He was clearly enjoying himself. “You know, Lil, I think I liked you better when you were blonde.” A neatly polished shoe stepped into her line of sight. She watched as its owner crouched low so that his face was directly opposite hers. “For me, black is…trying too hard,” he continued, a smirk plastered on his face.

 

Lilith was immediately overcome with an urge to spit in his face. Those steely-blue eyes that openly mocked her, that seemed to dissect her every move even before she’d made them. She returned his smile, in spite of herself.

 

“Why are you here, Lilith?” His face suddenly took on a more serious look, as if he was truly concerned for the girl whom he held hostage.

“Let me go,” came her answer.

“Now why would I do that?”

 

It was Lilith’s turn to smirk. “You’re afraid. I can feel it. You know I’ll finish you off without hesitation. Just like old times, Daryl.” She added for effect.

Daryl arched an eyebrow, which was in danger of disappearing into his sea of jet-black hair. His full lips parted into a knowing smile and Lilith watched as he pulled out a sword and moved out of her line of sight. He was directly behind her- she could feel his breath on her neck.

A gentle tug at her wrists and a metallic clang at her feet. She almost laughed out in sheer relief. He was rising up to her bait. How very Daryl-like.

Lilith picked up her sword, letting her fingers settle into the familiar rhythm of swordplay. Her blazing dark eyes never left Daryl’s blue ones. He alone stood between her and the orb. And the sooner she wiped that smirk off his face, the better.

 

“You were wrong to come here, Lil. How the old man could’ve let you, I have no idea.”

“It’s Lilith,” she corrected. “And Master Shin doesn’t know of my whereabouts.”

She moved, covering the distance in quick, controlled paces. The sound of steel against steel filled the dank air of the cellar, catapulting Lilith to the days when she would be paired against a much younger, inexperienced Daryl. She’d watch his tanned muscles ripple as he wielded his sword, striking effortlessly. Even then, she knew he was something special.

 

Now, as their swords clashed continuously, her weary arms protested, seeking rest. She had to end it. Quick. Her feet caught on an unknown object and she found herself free-falling through thin air, hitting the wooden ground with a loud thud. She felt the tip of Daryl’s sword at her neck; if he was feeling victorious, he didn’t show it- his chiselled jaw remained hardened as he stared down at her, breathing intensely.

 

Lilith erupted into a sudden fit of giggles, her chest heaving.

“What’s so funny?!” His voice dripped with bewilderment mingled with impatience.

“It’s…it’s just…how did you get so good?”

Daryl’s brow rose even further. “Is that meant to be funny?”

“No, really,” Lilith’s voice took on a more serious tone. “It…seems like only yesterday when you were learning how to hold a sword.” Ignoring the sword at her throat, she pulled herself up so that she was sitting upright. “We had so much fun, remember? I can’t imagine what…possessed you to leave.”

“What’s the matter, did you miss me?” he teased, iris-blue eyes sparkling. “Ah, ever so serious, I see,” he added when it was clear that his joke didn’t have its intended effect. He visibly relaxed, removing sword from her neck and sitting down beside her. “I was fed up with all that training and, well, I got a better offer.”

“But Master Shin-“

“Oh, there you go again! Master Shin this, Master Shin that.” His sudden outburst made Lilith jump uncharacteristically. “There are things I could tell you about your beloved master that would shock you to the very core. I suppose you’re here for the orb?”

“Yes,” Lilith answered solemnly. She didn’t bother to ask what he knew about his old master.

“And may I ask who told you about such a device?”

“Master Shin…” her voice trailed into thin air. Snorting, Daryl got up from his perch, his forgotten sword on the ground.

“The Orb of Dreams is very dangerous, Lilith. It contains the power to wipe this world out if in the wrong hands. I am its assigned protector now.”

Lilith watched him walk to the middle of the room where most of the moonlight shone. She watched as strong hands effortlessly opened an ancient looking wooden box and caressed an object that lay within.

“And what’s more,” Daryl continued, seemingly absent-mindedly. “For the Orb to work for its new owner there has to be bloodshed. Which means there you’d have to kill me. Somehow I don’t think…”

 

A sudden weight on his shoulder interrupted him, a sharp blade at his throat; warm, minty breath on his cheek.

 

“Hand it over.”

Daryl could kick himself. Why hadn’t he seen it coming? It had all been a trick! When had Lilith never had a trick up her sleeve? Or more appropriately, a dagger up her darn sleeve.

“Hand it over, Daryl!” The knife was pushed deeper into his skin; Lilith was quickly losing her patience.

“I’m sorry, Lil, but you’re gonna have to kill me first.”

“Unlike you, Daryl, I always take my chances. Believe me when I say I will not hesitate to kill you! But first, give me the Orb. It’ll be in good hands after today.”

 

She worked with quick precision. The dagger caught the bright light of the moon as she took a swipe at Daryl’s cheek. A chilling scream rang and an object closely resembling a crystal ball dropped from his hand.

With unnatural speed, Lilith caught the Orb before it could hit the floor and held her bloody weapon over the weightless ball so that it absorbed the drops of blood.

 

For a moment, time stood still. Lilith stood, chest heaving, waiting and anticipating and Daryl was crouched on the ground, clutching his blood-stained cheek and staring daggers at his attacker.

Then, a low rumble began; so low at first that Lilith thought she’d imagined it.

A blinding flash of light, followed by the most earth-shattering sound of thunder she’d ever had. The Orb began to turn into an array of colours; first a sickly green, finally ending with a rust-red- a colour that reminded Lilith of the morning sky, the first hue that invariably lined the sky; the enchanting light of dawn.

 

The Orb of Dreams had a new protector.

 

Taking a sharp intake of breath, Lilith whirled round, Orb in one hand and weapon in other. “I didn’t have to end your life to obtain a few drops of your blood,” she said to Daryl, who stared at her through narrow eyes, renewed hatred in his heart.

He watched her hurry to the oak door and raised his eyebrows as she turned round to face him.

“I did mean what I said earlier though. You were terribly missed.”

 

Her footsteps echoed down the hallway and Daryl made no move to pursue- he simply didn’t have anymore fight left in him. Lilith had gotten the better of him. A feat that happened continuously over the years.

 

He rubbed his left cheek, wincing at the pain it caused. Such a wound shouldn’t have rendered him useless to the point where he couldn’t fight back. No doubt she’d dipped her blade in one of those herbs Shin was always making. Figured.

 

He dreaded to think what his Master-who’d entrusted him with the Orb at the oath of death- would think when he found out. If he found out.

 

He clenched his fists as he assuredly came to a resolve. It wasn’t over. He would meet Lilith Chambers again and he would end it there and then.

 

He was sure of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2010 RIO


Author's Note

RIO
Sorry for the looonng wait, was busy with school work and stuff. Anyway, this is terribly rushed and yeah, feel free to point out any mistakes.
Hope you enjoy it!
x

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's not the end right?

Posted 11 Years Ago


RIO

11 Years Ago

Well...it was just a 'scene' that came to my head that I just wrote. Nothing more, I'm afraid...for .. read more
Junert

11 Years Ago

Awww, great all the same.
Please let there be another part!! I'm captivated in this story and want to read so much more and find out more about Master Shin and Daryl's master. I also want to find out more about Lilith. For something that you say was rushed, this came out really good and very detailed as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I wanna read mooooore! this is soo cool! you should totally make it into a book! It's like...Wow just please I need more! It got me well hooked! Bloody intresting :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the details...makes it all the more interesting. This story is hard to take your eyes off of... beautiful talent. Very capturing! I cannot wait for more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Vert inrtruiging and even rushed it seems to flow. I can't wait for more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow!! Really good job!
I loved how it was unpredictable
Please keep pursuing writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


i like it! its... what are the words im looking for? oh well, it will come to me sooner or later. :) please keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


yaaaay but seriously this should be a full story its really good and i want to know more :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hot! I bet they will be together I mean come on lol Yet again great job! Loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job


Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

726 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 22, 2010
Last Updated on November 22, 2010

Author

RIO
RIO

Abuja, FCT, Nigeria



About
I like to read and write. Now try saying that to someone when they ask what you do for 'fun' :p more..

Writing
Unfound Doors Unfound Doors

A Poem by RIO


The Eye The Eye

A Story by RIO


Night of the Lamia Night of the Lamia

A Story by RIO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Death at a Glance Death at a Glance

A Story by RIO


Lethal Attraction Lethal Attraction

A Story by RIO