Musical!

Musical!

A Story by Jacob Mahurien
"

A dream I had that I had that I wanted to write up. Might as well share it, no?

"

As most stories that take place in a small town in the 1950’s, this one begins with a panning shot over the small city. It was a scenic town: the tops of the houses covered by a verdant carpet. The day was perfect: blue skies dotted with white puffs of clouds, and the weather was balmy and warm, (as it always is small towns). And, like most stories set in small towns, this story begins at a high school. This high school, (like most high schools in small towns across the United States), is divided between two visually identifiable factions. In the veins of Grease and The Outsiders the factions consist of the surly, butch and all around scary Cowboys, and the more socially acceptable, polo shirt wearing pastel colored clothing Cities.

And, like most stories set in divided high schools, set in small towns covered almost entirely in trees (cue another pan shot), this story revolves around two unique characters who can see past the other person’s clothing into the person that the other really is. And, like the stories set in divided high schools, in small towns in the United States (pan shot), revolving around two unique people in their social spheres, the two unique people fall in love.

The first of these truly unique people is a rough, rugged man called Taylor. Taylor has dark hair and bright eyes and, naturally, a biting laconic humor that he uses to easily dismiss the opinions and verbal assaults of the usually dull-witted and easily offended Cities. Taylor is highly respected within the Cowboys, due to a combination of his laconic humor and his hard punches and, is therefore, seen as one of the Cowboy’s leaders. Secretly, however, he doesn’t want to fight. He wants to live his life peacefully and just go to school, like a normal kid his age. He’s in too deep with the Cowboys, however. If he were to leave the gang now chances are that he’d still get picked off by the Cities and/or the Cowboys themselves!

The second of these truly unique people is a girl, who, as chance would have it was also named Taylor. She had bright blue eyes, and bright blonde hair and a voice that could melt the ice off the green grass in the middle of winter. She was the head cheerleader in the cheer-leading squad, and the head soprano in the school’s concert and chamber choirs. Her brother, and her closest friends were part of the Cities: and she was considered to be of high influence in them as well. However, like the truly unique person she is, she didn’t like the fighting She didn’t like the division in their small town, wrought about in their small town high school. These two unique souls would come together and end the fighting in a truly romeo and juliet -esque way. The end of the movie is capped with an earworm of a song that’ll be sure to be stuck in your head for the next few weeks, “I got you…”

Taylor and Taylor, cue the credit roll.

Two forms snickered to themselves, basked in only the soft glowing light of a flat screen television, surrounded by slumped over forms: a few soft murmurs escaping their lips: indistinguishable from the silence around them. Their close, he leans in and whispers something in her ear and she giggles. The two forms pick out a path among the sleeping bodies and head to the door, a slow creak crescendos, slicing through the silence to a mezzo-piano, the two stop. None of the lying forms move, and the two sneak out into the night. Their once quiet whispers now conversational, their feet brushing against the dewy grass and then pit pattering against cement, now two forms illuminated by the soft orange glow of the street light. He puts his hand in her’s and spins her, she giggles. He laughs. He sings, “I got youuuuu,” and she giggles again and echoes his singing. The duet dances together, the asphalt staining their feet and the bottom of their pajamas, the crickets and the night their only audience.

© 2016 Jacob Mahurien


Author's Note

Jacob Mahurien
Only draft, woke up and wrote it. I expect there to be problems, sorry about that.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

to be honest, I have mixed feelings about this one. I like it and find it quite original but I'm left wanting. are you thinking of a sequel? unless I completely missed your point. still, I like it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jacob Mahurien

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, and sorry for the slow reply. I've been much to busy with work to do much .. read more
This feels like the literary equivalent of a sketch. Which can either lead to a larger piece or simply remain a few lines.

The key lines you did draw where vivid and tell a clear story.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 24, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016
Tags: Romance, Short Story, Story, Original, Dream

Author

Jacob Mahurien
Jacob Mahurien

About
I write short stories and poetry, usually dealing with the occult and the supernatural. Though I occasionally dabble into romance and things. Whatever suits my fancy at the moment. more..

Writing