Brown Cousin

Brown Cousin

A Poem by Joby Bottoms
"

From the garden that Karu built in Pasyala, Sri Lanka

"

Why do you fall on me brown cousin

with your skin so dry and lifeless?

It's not that I didn't appreciate you

in the days when we were attached,

but now you've fallen

and I don't need to be reminded of you anymore.

 

I'm still vibrant, living, breathing, dancing.

And you no longer appeal to my vitality.

 

It's not your colour, odour or lack of movement that bothers me.

What annoys me is the reminder of what I have to come.

 

It's a short life.

 

I'm in the now.

 

You belong then.

 

So stop falling on me with your pathetic misery.

I'm still green and have some time left.

 

I want to enjoy the present

while I still can.

 

 

© 2013 Joby Bottoms


Author's Note

Joby Bottoms
I wrote this while helping my staff to attend the garden. They are constantly sweeping the dead leaves from the grounds and I wondered how it must feel to be the leaf that is still alive, watching members of their family fall around them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A interesting poem. I like the way you used nature and thoughts to create good vision and reaction. Live things have no concern for dead things. In time will be forgotten. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joby Bottoms

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing.



Reviews

This was very profound. Using nature as a theme to convey human nature is a favorite with me. Everything you've written is so true. You have perfectly portrayed the way the youth look at the old and the general thoughts that occur to them.

Just like the green leaf, we are unwilling to accept the grim realities around us. Especially that of old age. Its funny how people go about their daily lives without even bothering to think of what would happen when old age creeps upon them.

The last two lines of your poem also convey a very deep message. 'I want to enjoy the present while I still can' Many of us need to do this. While there are those who are nonchalant about old age, there are others who constantly worry about the future.
They should definitely read this poem.

Overall, very good writing. Makes one stop and think. Thank you for sharing this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joby Bottoms

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your constructive review.
A interesting poem. I like the way you used nature and thoughts to create good vision and reaction. Live things have no concern for dead things. In time will be forgotten. Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joby Bottoms

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2013
Last Updated on May 15, 2013
Tags: Sri Lanka, nature, comedy, ethnicity, Pasyala

Author

Joby Bottoms
Joby Bottoms

Sri Lanka



About
What about you? You're the most important person so only ask me after you've asked about yourself. If you're satisfied with your answers about yourself and if you are still genuinely interested in me,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..