Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
THE GREY HIGH RISE

THE GREY HIGH RISE

A Chapter by Jocelyn_wonders
"

Micro article about housing for seniors

"

THE GREY HIGH RISE

by Jocelyn Wonders

 

The grey building towers in the sky above the one-storey homes and trees on Garnet Street. Who lives in this sharp-angled box? The residents must feel as depressed as the dismal grey concrete looks. Black-framed windows do nothing to improve their mood.

 

An old man, wearing a charcoal grey jacket and black pants, struggles out the front door pushing his walker. He shuffles slowly down the grey cobbled ramp to the street as if using the last of his life's energy. Is the grey high rise an early mausoleum prior to his final grave six feet below ground?

 

Low-cost housing like this is the temporary home - or prison - for the elderly who lived, loved, contributed to the world and family, and who now are ill and alone. It is unnecessary to expend taxpayer dollars to make it colorful for its temporary dwellers. Their lives are finished, so they don't need balconies or fresh air. They don't need white or yellow window frames to give them the illusion of sunshine. They likely don't see much when they look out their windows; it isn't easy to see sunshine when their eyes are filled with tears.

 

What do those people do in their little white boxes in the sky? Perhaps they watch television mindlessly. Perhaps they read mindfully. Maybe they work at hobbies. Do they feel the walls close in on them every day? Maybe they pace, like hamsters on an exercise wheel do.

 

 



© 2013 Jocelyn_wonders


Author's Note

Jocelyn_wonders
What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is wonderfully visual. I could "see" what you were describing. I love how you ask questions throughout. It is a very poignant to me, these days, as my mother is aging.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well, you have a good way with words. It is disturbing the plight of way too many seniors.
You know, here in Mexico, the parents mostly live out their time with the kids, and yep, I approve!

Thank you very much for reading my stories, be careful, they are addictive.... :]

Posted 11 Years Ago


A sad view - I have visited a number of places through the years and they weren't that evil or depressing... I guess a lot depends on the people that work there or the volunteers that come by.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The senior complex where my father lived before going into a nursing home and dying wasn't as bleak as the one you depict. He enjoyed his time there, met several ladies who were very attentive. He took trips to the casino, played cards and bingo. Yes, he watched some TV and even played on the old computer my brother gave him. He enjoyed his life, until his health took a downward turn. But it wasn't until we moved him to the nursing home, that he really gave up on life - he was there less than two months and rarely left his room.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
4 Reviews
Added on April 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 16, 2013
Tags: low-cost housing, residents, elderly


Author

Jocelyn_wonders
Jocelyn_wonders

Canada



About
I've returned to keep a blog on this site. I will blog about books that have excited me - books I've liked and books that fascinated me. I published articles and short stories in magazines. One sho.. more..

Writing