I. Glory In A Stone

I. Glory In A Stone

A Chapter by J.C. Rabanes

In the beginning there is chaos, blood spilled in the face of the earth, the smoke from a burning houses bows down from the heavens and all lives were given time to decide when to die. The world turns itself into a grave by the grievousness and insolent heart of every people. Killing brothers over power and wealth is common in them, killing inoscents to attain their greed, this is a place roamed by the beast that live in every heart of the people. A beast they called 'ambitions'.

Behold in a fine view on the edge of the hill, two young man sitted, enjoying the scent of the fresh air that damp on their rough skin as they talk about their recent endeavor against the army of the Traus.

"It's been a nice weather isn't it?" Sean remarked. "It's been a while right?" He added, stared at the sky. "The fighting ceased, no lives were lost lately."

"Indeed!" Revionne said, smiling. "I love the scent of the air!" He added with a pleasured laugh. The two shared the best memories that they could have tell to their children when time comes.

After a moment one of their superior came to them and mocked them both. "What are you doing?!" He said with anger. "Can't you see what your brothers are doing?" "Move!" He shouted.

"Moving! Sir!" Sean said while grabbing his younger brother's shoulder for him to quickly rose. And both of them leave their position and return to their given task.

The two quickly rises as a man, blood thirsty warriors, as the look on their face portrays a battle between men.  Its been a month since they were last attacked by a conquering group of bandits whose motives are to dominate the entire land of Phillean and to impose power over ordinary citizens. This bandits are barbaric and all they know is killing and drink all day.

"Bring the prisoners in the cabin." A superior commanded. The two stopped to see what is happening and they see the horror in the eyes of the bandits.

"Why do they keep on fighting us?" Revionne said, wondering. "This whole fighting thing is a s**t!"

"Yet they keep on preying on us." Sean remarked. And they both stared in each other wondering.

"Maybe this is how the world works." Revionne remarked. "The strong and hungry preys on the weak."

"But we weren't weak right?" Riveonne asked. "We were fighting hard and we successfully defended it from them."

"Yeah, we were strong." Sean remarked.

The two young warriors headed into a small town, their birthplace, they remember the days of their childhood; wearing laughs as they play in the fields as their father harvest the yielded crops. They lived in peace with their gods and their lives in their fate but not until the bandits, the trausian warriors, came to slaughter and steal their lands. Their lives then changed and all farmers like their father became warriors who held their sword and cultivate it in the flesh of a trausian hordes. They fight for their lands and for the future of their children. They fight not for glory but for the honor for their children.

"Days gone so fast." Sean whispered. "Back then, we were playing in the mud." He added, laughing. "Now we were playing with sword."

"Its our way of treasuring our memories." Revionne said. "It may passed, we may gone, but those memories will be our treasure."

Sean looked at his brother sensing something's not right in him. "Don't say such things, none of us will die!" he said. "We will fight together and live together!".

This two young boys are the son of a former soldier named Ofor who died during a stand off against the trausians. As a young children with no parents to watch for them as they grow up, since their mother died in their young age, they were turned over to the military to be trained and destined to be a soldier just like their father. During their training days the two boys always there for each other; fighting when one is on trouble, caring when one is I'll and fight alongside the other. Sean was dubbed by their superiors as the metal hands of the men on his squad. It was said that during the attack of the trausians he singlehandedly slaughter a horde of trausians which he take credit for the victory.

An hours later as the young Sean walking towards the camp, he saw his brother in a mess. Revionne on the other hand was on a fight with another soldier named Gohlt who is the most cocky mouth in the group.

"Hey young wimp!" Gholt shouted. "How do you managed to stay alive?" he added, laughing. "You should have died just like your father."

"My father..." "My father..." "My father is not weak!" Revionne muttered, running towards Gholt. He punched the b*****d Gholt in the face but Gholt was not faltered and he just smiled and mocked the young man.

"You're weak!" mocked the young revionne.

It was in this time that Sean intercepted between the two as he cannot stand to see his younger brother got a hard beatings.

"Get this piss!" Gholt said and pissed Revionne.

"Hey, stop it you b*****d!" He shouted to Gholt, mad. "Stop it or I'll beat you on where you were standing right now."

"Oh? really?" he muled. "Two wimps trying hard to be strong? how amusing."

"Then try me!" Sean challenged Gholt.

Sean took the first hit, spouting Gholt's guts in the ground.

"You f*****g b*****d!"
Gholt said.

Gholt keep on standing after he was beaten several times. His face is now partially covered in blood and sand.

"You're a real deal." Gholt said. "Were done for today. But our fight isn't finished yet so prepare yourself, well continue this later." He remarked as he reach for his breathe.

Gholt runs towards the blooming trees screaming and stretch his arms in the air pretending to be a victim of wild hyaena, in the record he always do this whenever he got into trouble since it is against their policy to have a fight with their brother in arms. That's left Sean the victor in their first encounter while revionne was left sitting in the sideline, intemperate.

"Revionne?" Sean called his brother, worried. "Are you all right?" he asked.

Revionne does not respond to his older brother but later it shows signs of uneasyness.

"Revionne?" He called again but still his brother is not responding. As he touched his younger brother. Revionne shouted several times and give a damn punch on the ground.

"I hate being incompetent!" he said. "I know our father is just an incompetent soldier as I am!" "That's why he died!".

"Revionne, did he said that?" he said.

"No, after those days slaying the throats of our enemies. I realized that all incompetent naturally dies first." he responded. "I hate to admit it, but I am just like our father an incompetent soldier."

"Being strong doesn't mean to be physically strong." Sean remarked. "As long as you're living and keep on fighting, you are strong." he added.

After they came back to the camp, their superior, named Gerzebon, approached Sean and ordered him to be part of the group to find the remaining Trausians in their land.

"Revionne, I'll heading for a mission." he said. "Are you okay to be alone?"

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." he responded.

"Well I'll be back soon."

The group was composed of few men who are regarded as the most skilled warriors who could do the mission as smooth as possible. They were all excellent in handling their life saving swords to the extent that defeating them one by one seems impossible.

"Stay low!" Gerzebon ordered to his men. "Wait for my signal.".

In the distant, they saw Trausians marching in the forest. Their mission is to exterminate each one of the remaining enemy so it mean they should fight and kill all they have seen. Gerzebon and the other brave warriors removed their swords from its hatch and slowly moving to attain their mission.

"For Phillean!" Gerzebon shouted as they run and slit the throat of their enemies one by one.

The place turns into a corpse party as different body parts flying in every direction as loud screams of bravery and pain overshadowed the scene. The trausians are slowly retreating back to where they came.

"Sean! you dispatch the escaping b******s." Gerzebon ordered.

Sean unhesitatingly run on them and kill each remaining enemy until he encountered their enemy's superior.

"You were easy to be trapped." The Trausians said, amused.

Sean was about to swing his sword to the head of the b*****d when his superior came to them.

"Sean, leave him to me." he ordered.

Gerzebon pointed his sword in the throat of the enemy while he ordered his men to hold it down.

"Where is your camp? tell me so your life be spared." he asked. The trausian didn't respond instead he just laugh hard seeing Gerzebon as a joke.

"Ahh, you're not a type who speaks." he said, pointed the swords in the fingers of the barb. "Well this will be a warning!" he added as he chopped the fingers out of their place.

The man is screaming in pain swallowing his guts and talking nonsense in front of them. Gerzebon again ordered his men to hold his other arm in the ground.

"Again, where is your camp?!" he asked again.

The man only looked in his eyes and laughed hard as he stretched his severed arm up in the air. Gerzebon started getting annoyed and started losing his temper.

"Speak now!" he shouted, impatient. When he realized that the man is not cooperating with him, he chopped of the severed arm and at the same time chopped the other remaining finger of the man.

The place were shook by the scream of the man from the intensed pain he felt. The man looked at them humorously.

"You were easy to trapped." he said, laughing.

Gerzebon ended the life of the enemy by slitting off his head and thrown it in the river.

"Its pointless!" he remarked. "let's head back."

As they get nearer to the camp they see the horrible scene the enemy had said to them. Houses were burning in flames, dead people in its doors; children, women and men who are incompetent to fight were slain. There still some who keep on fighting at those moment, and one of them is Revionne.

Sean, as he sit his foot home, he quickly search the whole place for the whereabouts of his younger brother, Revionne. Not far away, he saw his brother; standing, lost his right arm but still holding the sword in his left. He shouted trying to save him, Revionne glared at him smiling. The enemy pierse the sword into the chest of the young soldier and it slowly drops in the ground bath in his own blood. Sean furiously killed the killer and exterminated the remaining. He held his brother in his arms sharing the blood that flows in his body.

"Man, I am strong." said by his dying brother as its eyes slowly closed. His brother died in his arms, he died with a smile in his face.

"Revionne!" he cried. "If only I was here!" he added.

He carried his brother to their home as the other men were so regretful of what had happened to their village. As he carry his brothers heavy body the blood is also coming after him. The blood his brother and him shared, a blood that spilled in the sand to glorify it with such a heroic battle.

"I promised, I'll end this fighting s**t you'd said." he said. "I will be uniting this whole land and I will name it after you."

He dug a grave inside their house deep enough for him, Revionne, be covered by the earth. He etched the name of his brother on the stone after he buried its body and placed it on the top of the grave bearing the name "Revion".



© 2016 J.C. Rabanes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on April 5, 2016
Last Updated on April 5, 2016


Author

J.C. Rabanes
J.C. Rabanes

Cagayan De Oro, Misamis Oriental, Philippines



About
I am a man with full of respect. I dream big and hope alot. I took up Engineering in our country. And the rest is a secret... :D more..

Writing