Phoenix from the flames.......

Phoenix from the flames.......

A Poem by John Phoenix Hutchinson.
"

A poem about my own personal struggle after I turned my world upside when I broke the heart of the girl I loved/love ,my family , friends by being dishonest. The lesson is being learned.

"

My first poem to be published.



I am a phoenix from the flames.
I'll use my angst, forget the blame.
I'll work so hard to turn it round.
To walk once more on solid ground.
The dark i'll turn into the light.
The pain i'll fight with all my might.
With lesson learned.
The Past i'll burn.
And prove my worth to you.

The love ive lost is teaching me.
To be honest openly.
The heartbreak i will slowly mend.
And one day I'll turn the bend.
I know am not a man so bad.
My heart is right I just went mad.
And lost my way a bit.

To face the judgement I must now.
To those on high I must bow.
Forgiveness now is what I seek.
I will be strong but also meek.
Then one day not far away.
I will live again.....
I will laugh again.....
I will love again......


MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected





© 2012 John Phoenix Hutchinson.


Author's Note

John Phoenix Hutchinson.
***News Update on this poem.**
This poem is set to be published OCT2012 in the Miracle E zine and Magazine I also will have a short bio and interview along with it.Its my first piece of writing to be published.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear John

Thank you for your recent review of one of my pieces.

Not just by way of return, but also by looking at your profile and then at the title of this poem, I noted the sense of regret at how at one point your life went wrong. As I identify with that so strongly, I wanted to review this poem.

First off many congratulations on your writing successes and in getting published. Having read this it surprises me little.

I have a tendency to review long, looking at the nuts and bolts of the writing but I always giver the writer at least from the perspective of one of their reviewers a notion of the impact the poem has had on me.

My review.

1) Structure, rhyme and rhythm: Three stanzas, the first of nine lines, the second of seven and the last of eight.

As for rhyme, you mostly do rhyming couplets, but at times you break the pattern if only because the stanzas have odd numbers rather than even. I like the way you rhyme here. It is very effective in my personal opinion and it adds eloquence to the writing.

In the rhythm of the poem, there is a an endearing melodic beat.

2) Punctuation: I personally like consistency here. Either fully punctuate or don't at all. You do the former, so it works for me.

3) Use of English / mode of self expression: You keep it simple. I feel it suits the meaning of the piece and your elegant structure.

4) Imagery / allusion / metaphor: There is only one that is key here, which is of course even the title of the poem 'Phoenix from the flames'.

It is a good marker to support the words in the poem.

I have a similar poem on here, which actually addresses the same notion even to the point of using an image at the top of the piece much like your own.

5) Meaning: The meaning at least generically is not difficult to find in the title and the words. The addition of the quote at the top of the poem makes the reader aware what its specific meaning is to you. I need not repeat your own words here.

6) Impact and favourite lines: This poem has had a huge impact on me - that in its generic rather than specific.

A poem or any piece of writing is actually an intimate conversation between the writer and one reader at a time, the one holding the book in their hands or viewing it on screen.

Whilst we may believe we have an audience, and of course we do in a way, but it is really down in the end to the life experience of the writer compared to the single reader that determines the extent of the impact.

I can only believe that in its generic, most readers will have a similar reaction to mine, but perhaps weaker or stronger depending on what they have lived in terms of mistakes made from which we all desire to recover.

In the specifics of my case, I was relatively successful in life until the age of 45 when I had a nervous breakdown.

But even beforehand I had challenges, which I had to live through, not the least my first divorce where it took me a year to 'rise above' though I am still marked by it to this.

Following the nervous breakdown, I was diagnosed as bipolar and lost so many things none of us could really ever imagine.

I wish to rise from the ashes every day, but still life holds me back, through continuing illness. Yet the appetite for healing change remains to this day.

Favourite lines. I have a major problem here when the poem I am addressing is as accomplished as yours, which is that if I am not careful I will simply quote back to the writer the whole poem.

Let me limit myself to two lifts that affect me most.

I'll work so hard to turn it round.
To walk once more on solid ground.
The dark i'll turn into the light.
The pain i'll fight with all my might.

The perfect recognition of the fault and the demand to get over it. The fighter. No victim. A survivor. The rhyming couplets emphasise your point.

The heartbreak i will slowly mend.
And one day I'll turn the bend.
I know am not a man so bad.
My heart is right I just went mad.

Again the demand to turn it round. More there is a sense of self-forgiveness, which I have yet to find. It is a win win for you in the end if you get there. My personal position is much harder for me to determine. But I know I need to get there in the end as do you.

7) Overview: An accomplished and moving poem. Bravo!

I hope you find this review helpful. It is the job of the reviewer to help and not hinder the writer.

With my warmest regards


James Hanna-Magill

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

congratulations on publishing!! lovely expressive and personal poem

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Well back Stanley and thanks. Its a very personal poem indeed...and one I must adhere to.....so I ca.. read more
Congrats first of all! Second, this is an amazing poem. The last three lines are sublime... keep penning...

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

I will :) Writing has helped me form into the Phoenix and am emerging from the flames. Thanks.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
I always tell people that they are stronger than they think. Things happen in life that brings us to stand still and we have to take a deep breath and keep moving. Strength is in the moving, even if we never catch up. The fact that we moved to begin with is a testimony of how strong we are and yes one day hopefully soon you will live, laugh and love again. This is a beautiful poem John; it is what poetry should be (in my personal opinion). A wide window into the writers life and soul. I saw what you felt for that moment in time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mia

11 Years Ago

PS. Congratulations, they were clear to publish this poem!
John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Mia you have such a beautiful depth of understanding. Thanks :)
Mia

11 Years Ago

Such a wonderful thing to say, thank you John.
You're welcome!
What I like about this is the redeeming aspect...we live, we learn, yes but at a cost, the reel of realisation is strong here...
Congrats on the publishing too
xox

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

It was very real Poppy and am still in the flames and only slowly emerging ........but one day....I .. read more
A beautiful write! I saw the magazine, it seems a really nice one. Congrats!

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Yes its a good magazine full of art and poetry. Thanks :) ((J.P.H.))
congrats on the publishing!!!! :) :) :) :) really love the poem.... ;) Specially the Line.... "I am a phoenix from the flames.
I'll use my angst, forget the blame."
Good mix of German Words (Angst=fear) .... :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Cheers :)
Congratulations, John! That first published piece of writing, winning recognition for hard work... is the sweetest. You should be proud of your accomplishment, in writing, and your life.
Many blessings!

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

QSS thank you so much:) This poem really has been a driving force for me and will continue to be!
Really great job!! Congrats!!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


John Phoenix Hutchinson.

11 Years Ago

Thank you K :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5618 Views
88 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on August 25, 2012
Last Updated on October 26, 2012
Tags: phoenix from the flames rebirth

Author

John Phoenix Hutchinson.
John Phoenix Hutchinson.

Boot Eskdale, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
Welcome to my profile. I first came to Writers Cafe when starting out... Now am a published author.... So an acorn was sown here first and then grew... This is my website.... http://www.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..