After Christ

After Christ

A Poem by John
"

A C

"

A CORPSE ADDRESSES THE QUESTION OF LIFE

TO AN INVISIBLE THOUGH NOT
NECESSARILY FANTASTICAL GODLike Jesus, I too have been slumming itIn the material world, and lookingFor the elixir to this sunken flesh.I have not found it in so many words.Listen no more to mind-altering words:At worst, they betray what is real; and at best,Merely deceive. Hear the truth unspoken.And turn your back on the form with meaning -The wood-turned urn is a vessel of ash.Reject the tense silence of the sentence.Let the words collapse, or disperse, or fallInto an unholy heap for a sparkTo ignite. Observe the frail smoke risingIn a desert sunk to a grain of sand.Let us admit we have amused ourselvesIn the pursuit of nothing as somethingFor the void can adopt disguises; rainbowsAre scarves that unwrap in an empty sky,And scattered stars, the ignis fatuus ofSo many lives. Let us, at least, acceptThat all of time we have been looking west.The armies of death are pitted againstOne another, death in the womb and deathIn the grave, death in the beginning andDeath in the end. The end, a forever.Let us say that we have stumbled uponA shuddering moment. The eyes open,Receiving the light, assembling the formIn silence, even as a raised fingerMakes a significant sign with the lips pursed.

© 2022 John


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

very well said John. insightful and inspiring without any sense of pontificating. I love the ending, the image of a stern looking deity kind of lost out in my mind to that of a rather peevish librarian shushing the gaggle of teens laughing in the back corner of the study room

Posted 1 Year Ago


John

1 Year Ago

Yes, Ken, a lot of shushing the back of the room with this one.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
1 Review
Added on June 26, 2022
Last Updated on July 26, 2022

Author

John
John

United Kingdom



Writing
Roundelay Roundelay

A Poem by John


A A

A Poem by John


And So And So

A Poem by John