"Harvey's Gun"

"Harvey's Gun"

A Story by Jack Buckner

“Harvey’s Gun”

By John Smith

 

1.

            Harvey Belmont looked down at his blood-covered hands as he stood on the edge of the cliff. He reached into his back pocket and grabbed the murder weapon, a .38 revolver with a black barrel. Harvey looked down at the lake below and threw the gun down into the water. He knew he had gotten away with it.

            Harvey took off his blood stained Blazer and tossed it over the cliff as well and then turned his back to it. He looked up at the full moot that lit up the black sky before finally letting out a deep sigh and walking over to his blue Chevrolet pickup truck. Harvey started the engine before the “Overdrive” ringtone sounded from his phone. The screen read INCOMMING CALL: STACY. Stacy hired him just over a month ago to collect the debt from her clients. He swiped the screen and then clicked the green answer button.

            “Stacy. What do you want?” He asked annoyed.

            “Did you get the from Stevens?” She asked while she leaned back in her leather computer chair while looking at her plastic fake fingernails.

            “Yeah. I got the damn money from Stevens.” Harvey said with an aggravated tone as he lit up a cigarette and took a puff of it.

            “Aww, what’s the matter? Did he put up a fight?” Stacy said as she smiled and stuck out her bottom lip.

            “The crazy mother f****r pulled a goddamn gun on me!” He said. “I wrestled him to the ground and shot him.”

            “Is he…”? She began. Harvey took another puff from the cigarette and then answered.

            “Yeah. He’s dead. I made sure of that.” He said.

            “What did you do with the body?” Stacy asked him as she sat up in her computer chair.

            “I took care of it. They probably won’t find him.”

            “And the gun?”

            “I took care of it too.”

            “Good. Then come here and give me the money. I got another job for you!” Stacy told him.

            “No! I’m done with all of this bullshit! And done with you too! I only took the job to pay off the f*****g child support payments to my ex-wife. But I can get the money a better way.” He told her.

            “What are you saying?” Stacy asked him.

            “I’m not risking my life for a lowlife bookie like you. I quit Stacy! I’m done!” Harvey said as he hung up the phone, put the truck in drive, and drove away from the scene of the crime.

 

2.

            Harvey’s blue pickup truck pulled into the gravel driveway and then stopped. The headlights deemed and Harvey opened up the driver’s side door and leaped out of the truck. He stepped onto the long concrete front porch that lead to the front door and walked down it. The usual sounds the birds and crickets at night weren’t there. For the first time, everything was quiet…too quiet. Harvey paid not attention to it however. He finally reached the front door. He took the house keys from his front pocket, unlocked the door, and pushed it open.

            Harvey looked down at the welcome mat he was standing on and noticed something couldn’t have been there before. It was a .38 revolver sitting on top of a white piece of paper that was torn slightly and folded over. Harvey knelt down and picked up the revolver and the piece of paper. The gun was wet as if somebody had it soak in a sink full of water, but the note that it was on top of was dry.

            “It can’t be!” Harvey said to himself as he sat the gun down on the wooden chair beside him and opened the note. The note read: I KNOW in red ink. Harvey looked over at the revolver as it began to glow a radioactive green color. “What the f**k?” Harvey said as he reached over and grabbed the now dry weapon. Harvey looked around to see if anyone was watching and then went into the house. He shut the door behind him and locked it.

            Harvey reached over and turned on the lights to the living room and looked around for a moment. Then he took the gun into the kitchen and opened the trash shoot and slid it down.

            “Out of sight, out of mind!” He said as the trash soot door sprang shut.

 

3.

            Harvey opened up the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of beer and shut it. He walked back into the living room and sat down in his leather recliner. Harvey reached over and grabbed his Dish Network remote and turned on the TV to Chiller, Tales from the Darkside was on. He sat there and watched TV and drank his beer until the bottle was empty. When the beer bottle was empty, Harvey looked down and placed it on the floor beside the recliner. When he looked back up at the table that the TV was sitting on, he noticed that the gun he had once thrown down the trash shoot was sitting with the same radioactive green glow.

            Harvey slowly stood up and walked over to it. Once again there was a note sitting under it. He moved the revolver over and picked the note up and read it. The note read: YOU CAN’T GET RID OF ME THAT EASY! I WILL GET MY REVNGE! Harvey crumbled the note up into a paper ball and tossed it over his shoulder. Then he picked the revolver back and looked at it.

            “What the hell is going on here? Who the hell could be doing this?” He asked himself. Harvey thought for a moment, and then he realized who it had to be. “Stacy!” He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He went to contacts and clicked Stacy’s name. Harvey placed the phone up against his ear as it started to ring. It rang once or twice before going straight of voice mail. “The woman’s never missed a damn phone call in her entire life!” Harvey said. He walked over to the front door and tossed the phone out of it and closed the door behind him. He stepped away from the door when he heard a knock. Harvey turned around and faced the door. He slowly walked over and looked out of the small square window. Nobody was out there.

            Harvey reached down and turned the doorknob to open it. Stacy’s decapitated head sat there with a note hanging down from the ear. Harvey gasped at covered his mouth as he bent down and read the note. The note read: I’M HERE!

A man appeared with the same glow that the gun had. It was William, the man he shot on the cliff. He was wearing the same suit and had a bullet wound where his gut was. The man looked at him with disgust as a fountain of blood rushed from his mouth. Harvey backed up against the wall and looked down at the gun. William walked in the doorway and reached his arms out to grab Harvey. Harvey picked up the revolver and shot it at the man. The bullet pierced his forehead and blood leaked out of it. William continued to walk slowly towards Harvey.

            “What do you want from me? Get away or I’ll shoot!” Harvey shouted out.

            “You can shoot me, but you can’t kill me! You’ve already done that!” William said as he grew closer and closer to Harvey. Harvey pulled the trigger five more times before the chamber of the gun was finally empty. William slowly reached out for him. Harvey threw the gun at William but it disappeared in mid air and William reached out to Harvey as he let out a loud scream of terror.


Copyright 2014 by John Smith

© 2014 Jack Buckner


Author's Note

Jack Buckner
I had a hard time deciding a name for this one. I finally decided on "Harvey's Gun" rather than "The Haunted Gun". I hope you all like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing, marvelous and competing with Cody Williams...Bravo..................

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

He's a friend of mine and a great writer in his own right. Thank you for the review Sami!
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

That is true. You are welcome...:)..........................
Great story, love the detail and plot :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you Jackson!
A terrifying and captivating one. I enjoyed the unfolding of the murder events, then the conversation and the twist of fate in the end. Karma was swift. Excellent...:)....

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Thank you Sami!
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)........
What an intriguing story wonderfully written. This work is praiseworthy

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jack Buckner

9 Years Ago

Why thank you very much John!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
4 Reviews
Added on July 17, 2014
Last Updated on July 17, 2014
Tags: crime fiction, horror, thriller, short story, literature, prose, fiction, gun, haunting, John Smith