Mail-Coach Gold.

Mail-Coach Gold.

A Story by Dorset John
"

Set in 1787. Gold bullion is being sent to America soon after the War of Independance. Highwaymen attempt to rob the mail-coach. Deciet results in death.

"

MAIL-COACH GOLD.

England 1787.

1. A stormy night through Wiltshire.

'The Quicksilver' mail-coach guard James Wells had only one thing on his mind as his charge sped through the night during one of the worst storms in living memory. The gale force winds had brought trees and branches down and driving rain was making it difficult to see the road ahead as the 'The Quicksilver' headed towards Salisbury Plain. This was a secret journey with a valuable cargo that was bound for America. The destination were the docks in Bristol where the cargo would be loaded aboard the waiting ship HMS Monarch. The thing on James Wells mind was that later today he was going to be very rich, the cargo he was carrying was twenty five gold bars! First though, there was an obstacle in his path that had to be eliminated.

James Wells was thirty three years old, tall slim and muscular, with naturally wavy blond hair. He was born in the small town of Fordingbridge in Hampshire in 1757. His parents and younger brothers had died when their home burned down while he was away with the British army, fighting in the Revolutionary war during 1781. His skills with firearms and soldiery soon got him promotion as a fusilier, after proving his loyalty under pressure and dedication to his flag and country. After learning the fate of his family when he returned home on leave, he considered everything and decided that the army was no longer for him.

Through his experience with horses, he gained the position of Head Groom at The Old Swan, a coaching inn near Salisbury. It was at there that he met his future wife Martha, a kitchen maid. Her quiet manner and natural beauty plus her sense of humour soon had James captivated. They married in 1785 and their son Jack was born in 1786.

James Wells got on well with the mail-coach guards who regularly called at the Old Swan. He admired their smart red and blue uniforms with gold braid, and the respect they commanded by everyone.

After a few months he applied to become a mail-coach guard, and after being interviewed by a visiting supervisor from the Post Office, he was given the job. He left the Old Swan in late 1786, and with Martha and Jack, moved to London living in a small rented cottage near his employers main Post Office in the city. Martha's brother Henry also lodged with them.

The twenty five gold bars on board were the property of the King, and were being despatched as a loan to the government of the American President George Washington. It was imperative that the gold was loaded aboard HMS Monarch before it's scheduled three o'clock departure that afternoon.

The coachman guiding the 'Quicksilver' was Edward Jenks, a fifty year old generally miserable weatherworn balding man who James tolerated more than enjoyed. Edward was married to Edith, and had spent most of his life with horses. Although the Jenks family lived in the same London street as the Wells', they rarely socialised. Whereas James had an easy going happy nature, Edward was famed for his bad moods and rudeness. More than once he'd been reported to his employers for his attitude.

But in his defence, his Post Office supervisor had said that no matter what route Jenks is given, be it Bristol, Birmingham or Manchester, whatever the weather, fog, snow, or thunderstorm, he always got the coach there and back safely, and that was important.

James had been pressing Edward for more speed ever since they left London, which had annoyed Edward. But as James explained, Stonehenge and the roads leading to it will be crowded later with druids and others, out celebrating the summer solstice. There was much was at stake for James today

Edgar Gray, a Post Office Messenger was travelling on the coach as an escort for the gold. He was in semi-retirement after spending most of his working life in the Government Revenue office. His job had been seeking out smugglers who chose to use the mail-coaches as transport for their contraband. Brandy and wine smuggled into Dorset, had an eager market anywhere, despite the penalties if caught. Edward Gray had seen off to the gallows over thirty smugglers.

Also inside the coach were three other passenger, Miss Louisa Turner, Reverend Thomas Bailey and Mr Alfred Wyatt.

Miss Louisa Turner, a busty young American singer who was born in Boston Massachusetts in America, but came to England as the war was coming to a close, on the arm of a British General. They had become engaged, after the Generals men attacked her family home, taking her and her family prisoners. Strangely, love blossomed between the general and Miss Louisa and by the time the war ended, they were engaged.

Following his sudden death, a much richer Miss Louisa was heading back home via Bristol docks on the mail-coach.

The Reverend Thomas Bailey was an accountancy cleric and Mr Alfred Wyatt was an architect based in Londons St Pauls cathedral, they were both travelling to Salisbury Cathedral where, plans for restoration were waiting to be approved.

The mail-coach had been travelling for almost six hours, and was at least an hour behind schedule.

"I see you haven't forgiven me after all these years then James,?" Edward said to James, as he tightened up the reigns, and wiping the rain from his face. James was sat at the back of the coach, he laughed, calling out against the wind,

"I don't know what you mean Edward," as he loaded his pistol beneath his rain cloak.

The storm that night had brought down dozens of trees along the road and the hard cold driving rain had been against them constantly, soaking into their clothing.

"Come on Edward, make those lazy horses earn their keep," James repeated,

then added, "Just tell them that there’s a glue factory in Devizes, that'll make them move!"

Edward didn't answer what he considered a slur on his driving skills.

James was also constantly looking at the road ahead, and not just for fallen branches, highwaymen were a permanent trouble to mail-coaches.

James was concerned that information could have got around about the cargo they were carrying. It was believed that at least one of the men at the Post Office yard was tipping off crooks about valuable loads, and their destinations.

The message that everyone was given was that they must never trust anyone, not even their loved ones.

James kept telling himself that nothing must happen to the coach today because this was his last day of working in the cold and wet. He could see that Edward was struggling to keep the rain from his eyes as he strained to see the way ahead. James ran his plan through his mind again.

Martha, Little Jack and Henry had set off the day before in Henry's cart for Limpley Stoke, a village on the main road just a few miles from Bath. The plan that James had made was that Martha, Little Jack and Henry would camp in the woods alongside the road near Limpley Stoke. In the afternoon

a the 'Quicksilver' approached, Martha and Henry would stand in the road brandishing shot guns in a staged hold-up. James would deal with any passengers on the coach, and then remove the gold to Henrys cart. The 'Quicksilver' would be hidden in the nearby woods, and the horses set free. By the time the coach was found, the gold would be far away. "One day", James said, "Little Jacks going to be a very rich man."

From his army days, James knew of ways to survive in the wild, and how to find the right people to convert gold bars into cash.

Approaching Salisbury Plain James was pleased to see that the storm was showing signs of easing, but as he looked around, something caught his eye. There were two men on horseback approaching the coach at full gallop.

James shouted to Edward, "Go faster! there are two riders behind us, this could be a trap,"

Edward gave the leather whip a sharp flick, and the horses responded with a gallop. James released the safety catches on the pistol he'd been holding.

"Cart ahead" Edward called out to James,

"I can see them," James replied.

Lifting the long brass coach-horn to his mouth, James sounded the familiar warning notes towards the cart driver. The cart slowly pulled over to the side of the road as the speeding mail-coach began to overtake it. Edward guided the horses to the right to overtake, but mis-judged where the verge was

and the coach clipped a large stone, probably one of many strewn onto the road by drovers who'd passed by earlier. It caused the front of the coach to jump up and down then shake violently before settling.

Fearing the passengers may have become unsettled, James leant over to the edge of the coach, and called out to reassure them that all was well.

"What the heck is going on out there, are we going to crash or something?" Miss Louisa Turner called out,

"Nothing to worry about Miss Turner, everything is just fine," James answered.

Looking behind him again, James saw that the two horsemen were much nearer.

"You would tell me if there was a problem, wouldn't you Edward dear?" Louise asked,

"Of course I would my dear," Edward replied.

James was surprised that Edward and Louisa were on first name terms. What a sly old dog Edward is, James thought, smiling to himself.

2. Highwaymen at large.

Edgar Gray called out, "Is there a problem with this coach Guard?"

"No sir, we just clipped a stone in the road, nothing to worry about," James said, hoping to reassure him.

James heard Reverend Bailey tell Edgar Gray to stop shouting, as he was in need of his sleep.

Stones and boulders in the roads were a common obstacle for coaches, especially after

Looking back, James saw that the two horsemen were now almost alongside the coach, he flicked the safety catch on his pistol, ready for use if needed.

Without acknowledgement, the two horsemen overtook the coach and were soon well ahead. James wondered why two horsemen would be out on a wet and windy night in such a hurry.

Despite the driving rain and darkness, James thought he'd recognised one of them, and called out to Edward, "Did you recognise either of those riders?"

"No, I didn’t, should I have,?" Edward replied.

"I’m sure one of them was Ben Wilson,"

Edward replied, "I wonder what he’s doing out this way?"

James said, "Up to no good, that's for sure."

The Wilson brothers were two petty thieves. They had recently taken to robbing mail-coaches. Until now they had robbed stage and mail-coaches travelling into London.

Suddenly the coach began braking heavilly and James automatically grabbed his pistol.

"Sorry James, I’d forgotten we were this close to Harolds stables near Amesbury, we have to change the horses here" Edward said.

"You had me worried for a second. Never mind, my mind was elsewhere too."

A team of fresh horses was needed for the the long hard climb over Salisbury Plain, where it was generally wild and open with the threat of danger ever present.

Moving slowly down the driveway to Harolds stable James warned Edward to be alert to an ambush.

Looking around the yard as the drove in every shadow began to look like a highwayman in the dim flickered light of the oil lamps.

But the only person at the stable was the owner Harold Dunn who had a fresh team of horses waiting.

"Did you see those two horsemen pass by here a few minutes ago?" James asked Harold,

"Yes I did, well, that is to say I heard them. They went right past at a very fast gallop, they seemed to be going towards the stones," Harold said .

"I thought one of them was Ben Wilson, have you seen him or his brother lately,?" James asked,

"The Wilson’s? yes, they were here yesterday, funnily enough they were asking about you and your mail-coach. They asked what time you usually get in here," Harold replied.

"What did you tell them?" James asked,

"I said you were usually in here at about half past three in the mornings, and four o'clock in the afternoons, give or take a bit," Harold replied,

"Fair enough, but I wonder what they are up to" said James.

"Where's your Robert today, oversleeping is he?" James asked.

Harold replied, "Robert! he didn't come back last night, neither his mother nor me dare ask him what he gets up to, we just feed him."

"Oh, to be young again, especially in this day and age" James chuckled knowingly.

"I don’t know about that, it was better in my day you know" smiled Harold, adding, "I hear a rumour that theres a man in Cornwall who has made a machine that moves itself with steam, made by its own fire!"

"You never know what these clever people will come up with next," James said.

"Come on Edward, lets get going!" James called over to Edward, who was standing by the coach, talking to Miss Louisa Turner.

"Are they all still with us? " James asked.

"They are indeed, and they are fine" Edward replied, smiling from ear to ear.

Looking at his Post Office clock, James said he was worried about being late for the ship in Bristol as it was now well past three thirty.

Running late complicated the plan James had devised.

Pulling out of the stables driveway onto the road, James told Edward to go as fast as he could.

Edward replied that he thought James was worrying more than he should. James said he hoped Edward was right.

Today was the mid-summer solstice when the Druids celebrated with a ceremony at Stonehenge.

Although the Druids themselves were not a threat to the mail-coach, the concern was for any robbers who might be mingling amongst them.

There was a lot of broken branches which continued to cost more time.

Edward said he expected that they would be able to make up lost time on the plain as there were few trees near the road.

It was begining to get light, a favourite time for overnight coachmen. It was possible to make out the shapes of the giant standing stones in the distance.

At the stones they turned off along the old Devizes road.

Edward turned towards James and called out, "James, there's a bonfire at the road junction, it looks like a road block!"

As the road curved around the sloping corner, James could see that the fire was on the old Devizes road.

James sounded the coach-horn and shouted out, "Clear the road."

As they got nearer, James saw the fire was in a grate and was part of a road block that comprised of tree branches and ploes placed across the road.

"Something’s going on here, be on your gaurd Edward, I dont like the look of this," James said,

James sounded the coach-horn again, then took a blunderbuss from the arms box, and primed it. His pistol was still on the chair, ready.

There was a young man in an overcoat, standing by the fire, and waving a large stick at the coach as it neared.

As the coach slowed, in front of him, the man began shouting for the coach to drive on to the next road.

Edward pulled the horses back on the reigns, stopping the coach.

James shouted down, "What’s all this, what’s going on, what are you up to?"

3. Road block at Stonehenge.

The man called back, "This road is blocked by a fallen tree about two miles up, you can't get through,"

James said "This is a Mail-coach on government business, we have to pass, move out of the way"

The man replied "I don’t care who you are, you can’t get through, it's a sycamore that's down,"

"We can move trees ourselves, we have the tools, now get out of my way" James said.

"Youve got no chance of moving it, it's too big for you, our man going to see to it later," the man said to James.

"Get out of my way. We are on the Kings business, now move out of my way before I send for the army to remove you." James called down loudly.

"All you have to do is go past the stones for one mile then take the Devizes road.It's simple, you can easily go that way." the man replied,

"Damn you if this is a trick. I know that road. " James said.

Turning to Edward, James said "Go the way he says, but hurry about it,"

"Shouldn't we wait here until they clear the tree away?" Edward asked,

"No, and dont ever question my instructions again," James answered curtly.

James heard Louise asked Edward if everything was alright.

He told her that all was well, and going to plan.

Edgar Grey then called up from the coach,

"Guard, I hope you are not putting this coach in any danger,"

James answered, "No sir, the man says a tree is down on the road we want, it seems we have no choice, but to take the diversion."

Edgar Grey said "Very well, but don't take any risks."

There were about a dozen carts and over fifty people milling around the stones, Edward struggled to find a way through the crowd, as no one seemed caring enough to move out of the way. At least half of the poeople were Druids, according to their dress.

As the coach slowly moved past the nearest stone, it had to stop as three Druids stood their ground.

James sounded the coach-horn. But no one moved.

"If you refuse to move, we will run you down, now get out of my way. Edward, move forward," James shouted out.

Edward didn't reply. James sounded the coach-horn again, but still no one moved.

The Druids stood still, looking up at James, their faces hidden behind their white flowing hoods. Edward allowed the coach move a foot or so closer to the druids, then stopped again.

James shouted to Edward, now in anger, "Edward, I said, move forward, don't keep stopping, did you not hear me?"

Edward held the coach still.

"Edward! move this coach, and if they are in the way, run them down!" James shouted for all to hear.

One of the Druids stepped forward, holding up his right hand.

Looking at James he said menacingly, "Hold it right there James Wells, get off that coach and walk away, this is a hold-up."

Then as he removed his white cloak, he added, "Do as I say, and no one will get hurt."

James biggest fear was now a reality. It was a hold-up by the highwayman Ben Wilson.

"Ben Wilson, how unexpected to see you!"

Then he added, What's the matter Ben, have you spent your familys ill gotten gains already?"

The crowd began to disperse, fearing their own safety.

It was common knowledge that Ben Wilson was suspected of killing and robbing his grandmother two years ago, but her neighbour, a senile man of advanced years had been found guilty at a trial in Winchester, and executed for the crime. Most suspected that Ben Wilson was really the guilty one.

Another man who was standing next to Ben Wilson, ripped off his white gown, it was Bens brother William.

"Did you pair steal your white gowns as well,?" James chided them.

"Get off the coach James, this is journeys end for you." Ben Wilson called up to James.

James replied, "No chance, this journey has another hundred miles to go for me, it's your journey thats over."

Ben Wilson said, "You may well travel on, but first I will relieve you of your cargo."

Suddenly there was a scream from inside the coach, it was Louise.

A gunshot blasted out from within the coach.

James jumped from where he stood by his chair towards the ladder.

Ben Wilson fired a pistol into the air, shouting up, "Stay where you are James, move again and I'll shoot you,"

William Wilson opened the coach door, and helped Louise step down from the coach.

"That nasty man there, Mr Gray, he was bothering me, I was so afraid he was going to hurt me," she sobbed loudly.

Ben Wilson put an arm around her, calming her.

"You don’t know how it is for a young innocent girl like me, out here in a strange country, all alone."

Grabbing the blood soaked body of Edgar Gray, William Wilson pulled it from the coach and let it drop to the ground.

Ben Wilson said to Louisa, "Never you mind miss, he won’t be bothering anyone again,"

James looked down at the body on the ground, he could see Edgar Gray had been shot in the chest

"Nice shooting miss, where did you learn to use a gun like that," Ben asked Louise,

"I learnt to shoot on my daddies ranch in Montana, we were always getting trespassers crossing our land," she replied.

Ben told Louise to go and take cover behind the stones. Reverend Bailey and Mr Wyatt also climed out and ran off.

Edward called down to Louise, "Wait a moment my dear I'll come with you," James started to move towards Edward, but stopped, as a shot rang out.

"Stay where you are James," Ben shouted up. His gun still smoking.

By now, most of the onlookers had left Stonehenge.

Stories of mail-coach robberies were abound with tales of innocent bystanders being shot dead, most of course were untrue.

The shorter man with the Wilson's removed his white cloak, James recognised him as Robert, the seventeen year old son of Harold from the stables.

Ben called to him, "Robert, go and break open the boot on the coach, the tools are over in that cart, and hurry,"

"Yes, mister Wilson," Robert said nervously,

James turned to Edward, "You're behind this, your a traitor."

Then he added, "It was you who told the Wilsons about the gold wasn't it?"

Edward didn't answer, looking away from James as he climbed down the ladder to the ground.

Ben Wilson handed Edward a hand gun.

Louise went over to Edward, and kissed him on the cheek, then they walked towards the far side of the stone circle together.

As she went, Louise turned and smiled at James.

4. Gunfight at Stonehenge.

This wasn't how James wanted the day to end, he planned to have the gold for himself.

He knew he was outnumbered and would certainly be shot dead in a gunfight with all them against him, even Louisa had proven herself lethal with a gun. It was obvious, James thought, that he had to try and do a deal with Edward and Louisa. He could reduce the competition later.

Robert called out to Ben, saying that he couldn't open the boot, he needed a chisel or something.

Ben told William keep the gun pointed up at James, while he went to see what Robert was doing.

As Ben turned away, James jumped over to the ladder on the left side of the coach and clambered down it, jumping the last four feet to the ground.

The sharp pain in his lower back as he hit the ground, reminded James that he wasn't the fit young soldier he used to be!

James ran behind the nearest stone, while a shot rang out from Ben Wilson who'd fired it from beneath the coach. Then he ran for cover behind a stone, some distance from James.

A shot rang out and the gunshot hit the stone behind where James was hunched, looking around he saw that it was Edward who was firing at him.

Dashing behind the next stone, James crept around the outside until he could see Edward, and then fired The shot pinged against a stone.

Edward moved and cowered behind athe next stone, not risking his life to see where James was this time.

William Wilson joined in the shooting against James, who then crawled around to the next stone where he had a full view of Edward.

The sound of hammering caught James attention, it was Richard trying to remove the boot lid. Then to the sound of wood splitting, followed by a cheer from Ben and Robert, James knew that meant that they had got the boot cover opened.

While James reloaded his pistol, he saw Ben Wilson and Robert had started taking gold bars from the boot, towards the cart that the Wilsons had brought especially.

Ben Wilson held up a gold bar and shouted across to James. As James looked, Ben Wilson kissed the gold bar and laughed loudly.

James called out to Robert, "Go back home Robert, don't get mixed up with those villains, or you'll end up hanging from the gallows,"

Robert ignored James, and continued loading the gold into the cart. James took aim at William and fired, William flinched when the shot whistled past his head. James took aim again. From behind James, another shot blasted out, it was Edward who had fired at him.

William ran towards James, trying to grab his gun, James lunged at William causing him fall to the ground. Pointing the gun at William's head, James pulled the trigger. William made a groaning sound, and then slumped down, lifeless. Ben Wilson looked ashen faced as his brother expired.

Looking at Edward, James shouted, "You’re next!" Ben ran across towards James shouting threats as he went. He fired at James, but missed.

James fired at Edward, as Ben Wilson hid behind another stone. Ben ducked as a shot rang out, he then ran behind the next stone.

James took aim at Edward again, but a shot fired by Louisa, which slightly grazed James on the leg.

While James looked around to see where Ben Wilson was, he saw Edward cowering behind the next stone. Edward had became confused about where

James.

Stepping out, James caught Edward by surprise, grabbing him tightly around his neck, and then held a pistol at his head.

"You old double-crosser, I’ll see you hang for this" James told him, then added, "Or you can help me get the gold, I’ll share a half of it with you, or you can hang at the end of a rope, which is it to be,"?

Edward said, "Don't shoot, I'll help you."

James ordered him to throw down his gun, which Edward did.

"What about Louise,?" Edward asked,

"What about her,?" asked James.

"We are together now," Edward said, adding, "We plan to marry."

James called out to Louisa as he held the gun to Edwards head, "Throw down your gun and come over here, or Edward gets the next one."

It was clear to Edward and Louise that James wasnt fooling.

Louise threw the gun down and ran sobbing to Edward.

A shot rang out from Ben Wilson, who had moved closer while James was distracted.

Seeing that Edward and Louise had now changed alliances, Ben Wilson fired at at Edward, but missed, as the gunshot peepered that sone above him.

While Ben Wilson reloaded his gun to fire at Edward, James fired at Ben Wilson. Blood spurted from Ben Wilsons neck and he slowly fell to the ground into a lifeless pile.

Looking around, James could see that Robert was running towards the Reverend Bailey and Mr Wyatt.

James asked Edward how he had become embroiled with the Wilsons.

Edward said he’d met Ben Wilson in a London Tavern one evening, and they had got chatting after Edward had been unable to pay his dues after he lost a card game. Ben Wilson had told Edward that he could help him.

Edward was having domestic problems and had got into debt through gambling, and Ben Wilson offered him a way out.

Ben knew that a driver of a mail-coach with debts, was a prime find. It turned out that Ben Wilson had heard from a man somewhere about the gold shipment that was to take place. He assured Edward that with his help in stealing the gold, all of his debts would be cleared, and he wouldnt be suspected of any being involvement. Edward said the more he earned, the more his wife was spending. Meeting Louise had complicated things and may have clouded his judgement when Ben Wilson told him of his plan. The idea was to shoot all of the passengers in the mail-coach, but Louisa felt unable to shoot the two Churchmen after she had shot Edgar Gray. Louisa told James that Edgar Gray hadn't really attacked her.

5. Highwaymen and Druids.

James said they would have to him to help them, and if they let him down, he'd shoot them both. Edward and Louisa agreed to help.

"We must get away from here fast, we'll re-load the gold onto the coach and move on somewhere safe to share out the gold,"

They walked over to the Wilson's cart, and between them loaded the gold bars back to the coach. Although the boot had been smashed, it was still usable.

Edward said he needed a rest before they went any further, Louise said the same, but James told them there was no time for resting, they must get the gold away from Stonehenge before the army came looking for them.

Edward said that he and Louise planned to sail to America.

James advised Edward not to go to any country where Britain had a business or military presence, news about the robbery would soon spread.

The plan James had for the gold was now back on track.

Checking that the gold was secure in the boot, James and Edward climbed up to their chairs, as Louisa got inside the coach.

James dragged Edward Grays body against a stone, hiding it from view.

Edward said that they would have to treat the horses carefully, as they were unsettled through the gunfire. They would be unable to go to another stable for fresh horses. Talk about the mail-coach robbery was probably spreading already.

James told Edward that the Post Office would be offering a large reward for the return of the gold, on their heads, so they must get as far away as possible. Each of their lives was now in danger from anyone.

The sound of another coach-horn caught their attention.

James saw that it was the Bath mail-coach on it's return journey to London and was cutting across the field towards them.

Peter Moon, the guard on the Bath coach 'Arrow,' was standing next to his driver Ralf, as the coach pulled up alongside the 'Quicksilver.'

"James, my old friend, it's so good to see you again dear boy, how long has it been, six weeks? It was Peter Moon, the guard on the 'Arrow.' he was a somewhat flamboyant man in his forties.

James replied, "Hello Peter, I'm sorry, we are so behind schedule we must get on."

Peter called back, "Wait my dearest friend, I need to talk to you."

Edward told James, "We'd better get away from here," James replied, "Let's see what he has to say, but be ready to go, when I say so,"

"What has happened to the gold bars dear boy, James, you are a rascal?" Peter enquired.

James replied, "I have no idea where it is, the Wilson gang have just robbed us under gunfire,"

Peter replied, "Don't lie to me James, I'm too old a cat to be fooled by a kitten, you still have it, don't you,?"

quickly adding, "Were you trying to run off with it?"

"No, of course not, the Wilson gang have taken it from us, we were overpowered in a gunfight, we're pursuing them now."

Louise asked, "What’s going on out there, why are we not moving?"

Peter answered her, "My dear madam, please promise me that you are not leading my favourite guard astray,?

James warned Peter to be silent and continue his journey, Miss Turner he said, was a passenger who's been shaken up badly in the deadly fight.

Peter climbed down from his coach, and walked over towards James.

James told Peter that he was unable to waste anymore time as he had highwaymen to apprehend.

"You have still got the gold on your coach, don't lie to me James," Peter said.

"There are witnesses in the Lavington Inn, they say they suspect that you have offered your driver a half of the gold," Peter claimed.

James told him to stay where he was, or there would be more bloodshed.

Peter replied saying, "Give me a half of the gold now, and I will let you go. Mind you, I would be within the law if I shot a common thief."

Peter began to climb the coach stairs, James shouted at him to get back.

Louise shouted at Peter, "If you don't move away I'll scream for help."

James told Edward to get moving.

Edward snapped the reigns hard and sharp, and the coach began to move forward, as Peter attempted to climb the coach ladder he was caught off balance and knocked lightly to the ground.

James told Edward to make the horses give all the speed they had.

"Don't worry, we'll make it," Edward replied.

James hoped that Peter would give up on the gold and return to London.

James said, "If Peter gets his hands on any of this gold, it will be the end of everything for all of us,"

adding, "He'd even shoot his own driver, and then disappear with the gold,"

James corrected himself, he told Edward he'd not meant anything suspicius by saying that Peter would shoot his driver. Though James had plans to do that anyway eventually.

After a few miles, they caught up with a group of Druids who'd left Stonehenge at the start of the guns firing earlier, some ran for cover behind the hedge, unsure if they were going to be attacked. James sounded the coach-horn as he approached them, but suddenly a shiver went down his spine as he saw the 'Arrow' coach gaining on them.

Peter also began sounding his coach-horn, scattering the Druids once again in fear of their lives.

"Quick Edward, use the whip, you make those horses move faster," James said.

"The thing is, Peters horses are not as tired as ours, I know speed isn't everything so maybe we can out manoeuvre him somehwere," Edward said.

"I hope your right but hurry Edward, hurry, more speed, he's still gaining on us," James said.

Edward called back, "Don't worry, he wont catch us,"

At the cross roads, although Edward took the turn onto the main road very slowly, the coach caught a boulder that caused the wheels to slide on the loose wet road surface. The coach bounced and shook violently.

Louise called out loudly, "Steady on boys, I'm sliding all over the place in here,"

Edward shouted down to her, "You just hold on tight dear."

Again James told Edward to push the horses hard.

Looking back, James saw Peter wasn't far behind them.

The road began to get narrow with more bends and trees fallen. Edwards again had to negotiate a way past the piles of branches causing the sides of the coach to get scratched and torn. There was a time when James would have sacked a coachman for damage like this, or even for using tired horses, but things have changed.

6. Chased by the Bath Mail-Coach.

Edward managed to control the coach at a fairly good speed despite being forced to veered right and left to avoid the storm debris.

The Bath coach was out of sight now, but the front wheel on the left hand sideof the 'Quicksilver' struck a large boulder that Edward hadn't seen hidden underneath some debris by a drain. The noise coming from the front of the coach was a worry, and Edwrd asked James if he could stop the coach and see what the problem was. James ordered him to drive on.

Peter was as gaining on them again, and James ordered Edward to go faster. When Edward expressed concern that a wheel could collape, meaning that the coach could overturn, James told him not to be such a worrier.

Speeding round the corners the top of the coach was being battered by overhanging branches, and Edward and James had to move quickly to avoid getting struck. They were both soon soaking wet. Peter was now so close he began attempts to overtake them wheverever he could.

James shouted to Edward, "Go faster man, go faster,"

Edward shouted back, "I'm really going as fast as I can," James didn't reply, he knew that was true.

James cleared the wood and leaves from the floor around his chair, and after loading his gun, he lay down and took aim at Ralf, the 'Arrows,' coachman.

'Quicksilver' was rocking violently as Edward took it in conditions that it wasn't built for, still making a horrible loud metallic noise.

James fired a shot at Ralf, but missed. Both coaches had to rapidly slow down to negotiate a fallen oak tree hidden in a dip in the road.

Edward said that he suspected a suspension strap had broken, He also said that Ralph, who James was trying to kill, used to be a good friend, and it was a pity that things had turned out as they have.

Sensing some regret in Edwards voice, James said, "Gold bars Edward, gold bars," then added, "What do you want, old friends or gold bars?"

Edward didnt answer, besides, the driving the coach needed his full attention.

Against his better knowledge, Edward coaxed the horses into more speed. Almost going on two wheels as the coach went round the tight corners.

Because of the vibrations that could be felt throughout the coach, an ammunition box broke free and slid off of the bench by James chair, it hit the side panel of the upper deck causing the lid to burst off. James watched in dismay as his two spare pistols and some ammunition went over the side, and onto the road.

Going along a long almost stretch of road, the coach stopped rocking violently, and returned to it's usual state.

James reloaded his pistol, and took aim at Ralf again. There was another loud bang and a flash. The horses on Peters coach reared up in fright at the closeness of the gunfire. James saw that Ralph had blood all over his face and was slumping down in his chair. Peter went alongside Ralf and took the reigns himself, bringing the coach to a stop. James and Edward sighed with relief as Peter went out of sight.

"We can take it steadier along here," James said.

Edward said, "Maybe now Peter will give up, and go back to London."

"I hope so," James said.

There was no sign of the 'Arrow', and James assumed that his shot at Ralf' had been fatal.

James said he remembered this road, as he'd had to go this way a couple of years ago, when a fallen tree had also blocked that first road. He told Edward that he thought there was a ford in the river a bit further along the road, somewhere the horses rest and drink. Edward said he was pleased about that as he was worried about the horses. Sure enough, after about a mile, on the left there was a road down to the ford.

The horses seemed pleased to see so much water. Edward helped Louisa from the coach, and they sat on the grass watching the horses enjoying themselves. Edward mused to James, "Under different circumstances, this is the perfect place to be, the sun shining and the birds singing."

James agreed. Gradually there was a familiar sound coming from the direction of Stonehenge.

"What’s that noise, it sounds like a mail-coach doesn't it?" James said abruptly,

"Which way is it going?" asked Edward,

"It's coming from the same direction that we did" James whispherd.

"It's horses and a coach, it does sound like a mail-coach, whoever it is, they are coming down here. It can't be Peter, can it," James said.

The peaceful scene was shattered with the sound of a coach-horn blasting out.

"It's Peter, come on, let's get going, quickly!" James said. They scrambled back onto the coach which Edward had began moving before Louisa had even closed her door. Edward shouted down to Louisa to keep her head down low.

As the coach pulled out of the river, Peters coach went into it, splashing water up almost as high as the coach roof. Peter and Ralf were again in pursuit. Ralf looked ill, almost on the verge of passing out. The clatter from the coaches wheels was alarming Edward and James, but all they could do was hope for a miracle. A shot rang out, James saw Peter crouched down aiming his blunderbuss at them. James did the same, struggling against the shaking of the coach, he aimed at Ralf, and pulled the trigger, again he'd missed his target. Peter had re-loading his blundrbuss and fired at James again. Edward and James heard the bullet scream above them as they sped over the coach.

James shouted to Edward, "Go faster man, go faster,"

After turning the corner, the road began to get wider and strait, James saw that Ralf was taking advantage of the improved road and after just a few seconds, Ralf was alongside.

James loaded his other pistol whch he usually kept ready under his chair, and aimed the gun at Ralf. Another a loud bang followed with dark blue smoke as Ralph slumped down to the footwell, losing his gripon the reigns.

Peter grabbed Ralf by the shoulders and pulled him up onto the higher deck, then climbed into the coachmans chair, grabbing the reigns, bringing the coach to a standstill.

James and Edward breathed a sigh of relief, as the 'Arrow,' faded into the distance.

"These horses need a rest James, we've got to stop soon" Edward pleaded.

James told him to stop as soon as there was a suitable place.

About two miles further along the road they saw a wide grass verge with some water in a dew pond, and plenty of grass.

The events of the day were begining to take it's toll on James, Edward and Louisa as well. Soon they were all napping.

James jumped to his feet when he heard a mans voice.

"What you doing here, shouldn't you be up the main road,?"

James relaxed, it was a farmer,

"We should be, but the storm brought so many trees and branches down that we've had to come this way," he said.

The farmer told him that he'd also had a few trees fall, then he explained that he was going to collect his cows for milking, and hoped that James and his friends wouldn't frighten the cows.

James smiled, "We'll most likely be gone before you get back."

James walked around the coach surveying the damage. He called over to Edward, who was sat talking to Louisa.

"Edward, this coach looks a lot the worse for wear, she‘s been through a lot today, can we do anything with it?"

7. Fighting mail-coach guards.

A few odds and ends were carried on mail-coaches in case of a breakdown, mainly for, 'make do and mend' kind of jobs. Spare leather suspension straps were carried although replacing them required the strength of two men. While there James and Edward managed to replace one broken strap, but as they began changing the other one, James heard people talking.

"Probably just neighbours passing the time of day," Edward said,

"Yes, I hope so," James replied.

"Have we got any food with us, or a drink, I'm famished," Louise said

James went to the coach, but there was nothing for them.

"I can't see anything," James said, as he returned to where Edward and Louise were sitting.

Edward remarked that the afternoon was beginning to turn into evening.

"Another hour and it will be dark," James said.

Suddenly there was the sound of a horse walking through towards them.

"Stay where you are James!" it was Peter..

James heart sank as he saw him sat on one of the horses from his coach, aiming a gun at James.

Taking a chance while Peter looked behind him, James swiftly rolled sideways like a log, out of Peters sight.

Peter jumped down from his horse and made for James.

For almost ten minutes the two men wrestled and punched each other. Taking a swipe at Peter, James cracked his jaw with a heavy punch, and Peter fell to the ground unconcious. James tied Peters arms behind his back, before getting back with Edward and Louisa on the coach.

"Get moving, quick!" James shouted to Edward, as he climbed up to the upper deck."

Then added, "Turn left at the crossroads just along the road, and we'll head off for Warminster."

Although the road was fairly smooth, there still seemed to be something seriously wrong with the coach, it was rocking and making worrying mechanical noises.

As they made their way James asked Edward to stop the coach in the safety of Warminster, so that they could check the coach condition again.

Edward stopped outside a row of cottages Warminster, by then it was dusk with few people walking along the streets. James knew that it wouldnt be long before the army was out looking for them, with guns.

James saw one of the problems with the coach, "The wooden rim has split, it's just the metal holding it all together,"

"What can we do about that,?" Edward asked.

"All we can do is take it easy, there is only about twenty miles left to cover," James replied, as he lit the oil lamps on either side of the coach.

"Then what happens?" asked Edward.

"Then my friend, we share the gold out," James answered, adding, "Come on, lets get going,"

James plan was still on track, he thought, smiling to himself.

After about half an hour they continued their journey, Edward got the horses to go as fast as possible, considering the mechanical problems.

James said there were only a few miles left before they met up with Martha and Henry.

"What will Martha say when she sees us, we are so late now?" Edward mused.

"Oh she’ll understand, she’s a clever girl,"

"See, were nearly there now," James said as they slowed-down to read a milestone, "It reads Bath 12 Miles."

It was at the top of the long downhill road edged with trees, with the river in the valley over to the right that they were to meet with Martha, Little Jack and Henry and despite the damage that the coach had endured, it had alsmost completed it's task. James looked at Edwards happy countenance.

James recalled that early that morning, while he was priming his pistols, Edward had turned round and said to him, "I see you haven't forgiven me after all these years, James,?"

James thought to himself, "No Edward, I haven’t forgiven you after all these years."

It was almost three years ago when James caught Edward drunkenly trying embracing Martha in their local ale house.

James checked that his pistols were primed and ready.

"What are you doing,?" Edward asked,

"Nothing, why do you ask?" said James.

"Your not going back on your word are you James?" Edward asked,

James told him "No, I’m just checking the pistols in case we encounter trouble again "

Though holding a bullet, he said to himself, this little bullet has got Edwards name written all over it.

The coach began going down the hill slightly faster than was usual, the noise that it was making will wake the dead, James quipped to Edward.

Although James and Edward knew the road quite well, they were still worried about what may be ahead. As the road curved round a corner, James could see that fires were burning in the road. It was what James feared, an army road block, set up and guarded with armed soldiers.

The coach was going faster than Edward had hoped, as if in fear, the horses were running fast. James saw soldiers waving and shouting at him to stop.

James called to Edward, "Don't stop the coach, we must keep going or we'll be for the rope!"

Edward shouted back, "We're going too fast, I can’t control the coach, there's nothing I can do,"

The coach sped uncontrolled into the road block, smashing into the fires, throwing branches and burning sticks into the air. The dark of the night became like daylight as the soldiers fired their blunderbusses. Burning pieces of wood and embers hit the horses as they ran in terror. Gunshot pellets were hitting the coach, both James and Edward were struck and were both bleeding.

The panic could be seen in the faces of the horses, their eyes bulging as they looked around for somewhere to escape.

Edward could feel that the horses were struggling to escape from their coach harness ties. Although it seemed like an hour, withing three minutes they were through the road block and back in darkness.

James shouted to Edward, "Slow down, we are nearly there now,!"

Edward screamed back, "I can't, it’s out of control,"

James shouted back "Do something, stop it now!!"

The coach reached a sharp bend, and as it went round, James felt it lift onto two wheels, then it dropdown heavilly to the road.

James shouted out "We should see Martha and Henry soon." James plan had now gone wrong, this shouldnt have been happening, he thought.

It was dark, and the coach lamps did nothing to help. James had to leave his fate in the horses.

As the coach hurtled uncontrolled down the hill, two figures appeared in the road, arms waving wildly, .

James thought it may be Martha and Henry. "Get out of the way!" he repeatedly screamed, "Get out of the way!"

James then saw that it was Martha and Henry, arms waving wildly.

Martha and Henry were shouting, "Stop, this is a hold up, stop."

Henry fired his gun at the last moment to simulate a hold-up and at this the horses became even more panicked, one of the front greys broke away to run free.

James sceamed at Martha to move, but she couldnt hear him, the damaged coach was making such a noise, it drowned out the screams.

Edward struggled in vain to control the horses, like James, he thought he was living a nightmare.

8. Death and disaster above the river.

Martha and Henry just stood in the road, they didn’t try to get out of the way. They didn't know they had to, after all, James had told them that he would stop the coach alongside them. As the coach careered closer towards them, Martha and Henry shouted, "Stop, this is a hold-up,"

The coach ploughed into them, and the shouting suddenly stopped.

James felt warm blood splashing onto his face and clothes.

There was nothing he could do but to hold onto the coach rail.

The horses veered to the right and then to the left., then one of the front wheels hit a large roadside boulder. The shaft holding the horses to the coach broke away, and the three remaining horses made for the safety within the wood alongside the road.

The road veered round to the left, but the coach conttinued onto the grass verge.

The coach struck another boulder, smashing the wooden frame of the coach into firewood. James saw Edwards lifeless body being thrown up against a tree. The front of the coach lifted up from the ground as it went through the roadside hedge, it slammed down again as its corner struck an oak tree, cousing it to turn over. Suddenly there was silence, as the remains of the coach went through the darkness and spinning towards the river.

James felt a kind of peace he'd never experienced before, the pain that he felt after hitting the tree had gone.

It wasn't long before the water in the river Avon had calmed down. Most of the debris was floating away.

Nothing moved, in the darkness everywhere was quiet once again. The only sounds were a couple of owls, and a young child crying for it's mother.

When James woke up he had no idea why he was lying on the sandy edge of a river bank on a beautiful sunny morning. As he tried to move, the pains in his body were severe. He remained still.

"What are you doing there,? asked a woman’s voice enquired.

"Where am I,?" James asked,

"Your in the river my dear, that’s where, goodness knows why" the woman laughed.

It was a gypsy woman from the camp in the woods near the river.

She was middle aged, quite plump with a cheery face that James felt he could trust. James tried to move again but the pain he was suffering was so severe his mind closed down again.

When James woke next it was dark and he was lying on a soft straw mattress in a kind of tent, some branches covered with leaves and twigs. Nearby were two caravans and some horses tethered to the trees. There was a fire burning with a large stock pot hanging above it. The smell of the smoke and the cooking food brought some comfort to James.

"How you feeling?" a man asked him. James wasn’t sure how he felt, but said he was alright. The man told James that he'd broken an arm and a leg and had a bad chest wound, but he was in the good hands of his wife.

James arm was strapped with sticks of wood and bound with cloth strips, his left leg was bound the same.

"You have a badly broken arm and leg, you must rest," the woman said. James could hear that cry of the young child again. He thought he recognised it, but then he thought all young children sound the same. There were three or four other young children playing ball on the edge of the camp.

Sat on the step of one of the caravans was an old woman smoking a pipe. James watched her as she looked eagle eyed around her, weighing up what everyone was doing, and what they were saying.

"Here, drink this", it was the woman who’d found him in the river, handing him a large mug. James took a sip, and recognised it was some sort of soup.

"Where are you from?" the gyspsey man asked James. James couldn’t answer, because he couldn’t remember. "Do you live around here?" the man asked. "No, I don’t think so, I don’t remember this place," James said. "Leave him Sam, let him rest," the woman said. "Where are we,?" James asked. "Not far from the city of Bath the woman said. That meant nothing to James.

"Were you on the mail coach that crashed last night,?" the man asked, adding, "That looks like a guards uniform your wearing."

James said he hadn’t been in a crash, but maybe he had fallen while out looking for rabbits. Years ago as a boy in Fordingbridge James had often gone out looking for rabbits with his father, and sometimes one of them would fall over. James thought thats what has happened. He then said that he didn’t work for the Post Office on the Mail Coaches. Then the man said, "One of the mail-coaches crashed through the hedge last night, and went into the river, we found four bodies between the top of the hill, and where James was found in the river."

The woman also told James that a young child was found in the woods, near the top of the hill, in atent, all on his own. The gypsy said she thinks it was the childs parents who were found dead in the road up there.

The man told James that he also found four of the mail-coach horses up in the woods, they were tired out hungry and thirsty, but once they are rested, they'll fetch a shilling or two at the auctions. He stressed that he didn't steal them, they were there for the taking.

9. In a gypsy camp.

The woman brought James some bread with a bowl of meat that he thought was lamb, "You eat this now, you need to build up your strength."

The young child was in her arms, and as she handed the plate to James, the child held it’s arms out as if he wanted to touch James.

"You leave the mans dinner alone young un," the woman said laughing.

"What’s his name?" James enquired.

"We’ll call him Jack, after my brother who was lost to sickness last year," the woman replied

"We looked through your pockets for some money to buy medicine for you, but you don’t have any," the man said, adding, "We wasn’t going to rob you mind,"

James asked what kind of medicine he needed, but they didn’t answer, instead they asked if he could remember who he was, or where he lived.

He couldn’t. No matter how hard he tried, James couldn’t remember a thing about his life. Surely he thought, if he had a wife and children he’d remember. But he was still suffering from the shock that the injuries caused him. James felt that he was getting increasingly tired as they questioned him, and all he really wanted was to be left alone.

James finished the soup, but didn’t touch the food. The pains he had seemed to come and go in waves.

"Here, you try this, it will help take the pain away and help you rest," James took a sip.

Gradually he drifted into sleep again.

When James woke, the sun was still shining, and he could hear the birds singing in the woods. The woman who was caring for him seemed happy as she sat by him, mopping his forehead with a wet cloth. He couldn’t understand who the people were or what he was doing there.

He noticed that there were more men around now in the camp. Everyone seemed happy, laughing and joking with one another, as they went about dismantling the camp, while loading things into the various caravans. Two men were standing by one of the caravans, both were holding sticks,

which they waved around whenever anyone got too close.

The woman who looking after James brought him a mug of something resembling coffee. After she had gone back into her caravan, the one that appeared to be guarded by the two mn with sticks, James heard her tell someone that she was a bit concerned about the fever that James had picked up, she said that she thought he was getting worse. Before he’d finished the coffee he was asleep again.

10. Journeys end.

"Have you seen anyone from the mail coach that crashed,?" James awoke from his sleep when he heard a man say that. He looked around, it was now evening. The man talking was a soldier, and although he didn't know why, he felt frightend.

He reasoned he had no need to fear soldiers, they had no reason to harm a simple farm hand like him.

"It’s nearly midnight," James heard the woman say, "He’s getting worse," she added. "I better go and dig a hole for him, before we leave," a man said. "Shut up, don’t talk like that in front of him," the woman said as she wiped his forehead with a cold cloth. James became aware of a painful tightness in his chest, which made him feel very sleepy.

"I dont think he's getting any better," the woman said.

Looking down at his side he saw the boy looking up at him and smiling, James smiled back.

Although their voices were beginning to grow feint.

The woman told the child that he was going to be a very rich man one day.

The man added, "Thats thanks to the gold that I found in the river."

The pain in James chest was now severe, and he tried to attract the womans attention, but she had been called away by another soldeir, who said he'd had orders to search all of the caravans.

James woke abruptly when he heard men shouting in the darkness. He heard a soldier call to another, "All is well, I've found the mail-coach gold."

James then took his last sleep.

© 2014 Dorset John


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on September 19, 2014
Last Updated on September 19, 2014
Tags: stonehenge, gold, mail-coach, highwaymen

Author

Dorset John
Dorset John

Bournemouth, Southern England., United Kingdom



About
I am now retired. Although I'm very active around the house and garden, I do enjoy writing. I would like to improve, I have the ideas, but lack the 'writing' skills. Collect scale model buses cars t.. more..

Writing