Reality

Reality

A Story by Kaye Adell
"

Sequel to Fact and Fiction

"
Lance was sitting in the coffee shop outside of the office waiting Alyana. He would not have even expected her to be there, but she had brought up the engagement the day before; he agreed to be there. He sat down with hazelnut roasted coffee with sugar. He sat down opened up his worn copy of The Great Gatsby. Then, Alayna walked in the door. He looked up and saw her. She was beautiful. He didn't know how to explain her beauty to anyone, but she was beautiful. She was a smart women not like some of the other women in the office. He walked over to her.
"Hello, Alayna," Lance said smiling down at her.
"Good Morning, Lance," she said smiling back.
"Order whatever you like," he told her.
"I'd like a mocha," she told the barista. Lance paid and they returned to the table where he was sitting before.
Alayna picked up his book and said, "I'm assuming you like this book."
"Yes, very much," he replied enthusiastically.
"I'm going to guess that you admire Gatsby because he makes up his own history," Alayna said giving him a half smile.
"No, that's not why I like it so much. I like it because of Neal. Neal is the perfect narrator for all of the ridiculousness  that occurs throughout the story. He is the only one down to earth. Why would you assume that Gatsby was my favorite?"
"Well, you are good at making up lies like the ones Gatsby tells."
"No, I tell stories not lies. I've never claimed any of what you would call my 'extravagant tales' to be the truth."
"Are you sure about that?" asking skeptically.
"Yes," he solemnly told her. That's when he began to think of when he had kissed her, and wondered if Alayna was going to bring it up.
She looked down at her cup and the back at Lance and asked, "Can you tell me why you kissed me the other night?"
Lance sighed and began to explain,"After hearing you talk about your ex, I knew you wanted something more than what he offered you. I don't know I guess I... I wanted you to know that I like you. You're beautiful and smart, and you need someone to remind you of that."
She stared at him for a moment unsure how to react. Then, said, "So you think you could make me happy?"
"I don't know. I couldn't promise that," he said quietly.
She let out a sigh and said, "Lance, I think right now I just need some time. But if you can promise to just listen to me when I just need to talk, if you can tell me that I'm pretty on days when I don't feel special, and remind me that I am smart when other people around me treat me like an idiot, I might consider go out for dinner sometime."
"How about tonight?" he knew it was a little early to ask this, and he expected her to say no.
"Sure, you can pick the restaurant. I'm not picky, and I like a good surprise. Pick me up around seven. We should get to work," Alayna said smiling as she stood up.
They walked out the door together. They were just outside the office when Alayna saw her ex. She made sure that he had seen her and gave Lance a quick peck on the cheek.
When she kissed him, she could tell that she too like him very much. She wouldn't yet let her self think it was love.
"What was that?" he looked down at her.
"I was just letting you know that I like you too," she said with a big smile.
"You weren't making him jealous?"
"No... Maybe but it was unintentional. I really do like you," she said as they walked into the lobby together.  

© 2012 Kaye Adell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on September 28, 2012
Last Updated on October 1, 2012

Author

Kaye Adell
Kaye Adell

About
Writing is a hobby of mine that very few people know about. I hope your reviews will help me become a better author. I've thought about writing for a career but not too seriously. more..

Writing
Pride Pride

A Poem by Kaye Adell