Ode to the Ocean- An Attempt at Prose

Ode to the Ocean- An Attempt at Prose

A Poem by Jordan
"

I have wrote some prose in the past, but this is the first conscious attempt at doing such. Feel free to critique!

"


My first time at the beach was such a lovely time. The day was bright and warm, the sand gritty under my feet, the salt air something new that I had never smelled or tasted before. I was seventeen years old, sheltered, and fancied myself in love; this was my first taste of freedom, of something new outside of the mountain air that I had grown up in. This was a fresher smell, a biting smell ever so slightly, and the textures and sights were also far different.

The brightness of the beach coupled with the endless blue sky that stretched out above me was breath-taking to one who had never seen such air or had grown up in it. There were a few other people out, but I paid them no mind as I soaked in the beauty around me; the sights, the smells, the crashing waves were all lovely and new. Everything felt cleaner, brighter, and newer than it did in the mountains, beautiful in their own right, that consisted of my home.

When I splashed into the waves, the sea salt stung my eyes and roughly caressed my skin. I could taste it upon my lips, and felt it in my hair. I became engulfed in the rhythm and flow of the ocean, of the sea air, and was in absolute heaven. There was no drunken wonder and awe, just bright and clear inspiration that would melt even the most hardened heart.

I tilted my head to the sun, tasting the kiss upon my flesh and lips. I swam into the water, enjoying the natural waves of the water, the taste of salt and the feel of the salt upon my mouth and even in my nose. It was a romantic notion and one that reminded me of a lover's warm embrace. The power, the grace, and the beauty of the water combined and overwhelmed the senses. I felt that the water could easily break me, but yet it cradled me. When a large wave crashed against us, even then, the water just lifted me then placed me back upon my feet.

The ocean caressed us, its swimmers, and the lips of the beach before receding back for a time, playing a teasing game, before returning to mate with the shore. Alas, soon, it was time to leave, and I cast a glance behind me at my lover, wishing I could take the power with me or stay and dance eternally with it or listen intently to the song that my lover had to play for me. But such was not the case and I soon had to return to my mountains, the air fresh and crisp, yes, but lacking the bite that comes with salt air, majestic in its own right, but not warm and playful.

© 2013 Jordan


Author's Note

Jordan
a conscious attempt at prose- feel free to critique as this is a venture that is new to me!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on November 20, 2013
Last Updated on November 23, 2013
Tags: prose, poem, ocean, ode, love, waves, salty, air, salty air, prose poetry, poetry

Author

Jordan
Jordan

Crossville, TN



About
•♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*• ❤ ☮✞✡ "You guys are all into th.. more..

Writing
Shaken Shaken

A Poem by Jordan