The Nature of Kindness

The Nature of Kindness

A Chapter by Jordan

A testament to a person’s character is how that person treats those who can do nothing for them. I did paraphrase this quote, this is true, but it is one that rings loud and clear. It is also one that has stood the test of time and it is the very nature of kindness.

Kindness, like compassion, is something that is done from the soul and the heart. You do it because you care enough to do so, not because you wish to gain recognition or fame for it. If you do acts of compassion or kindness solely to receive recognition, then you are doing them for the wrong reasons and in the wrong spirit. If you expect to receive something in return for your acts of kindness (yes, this even includes from God), then what you are doing is nothing more than favors to that person. When you bestow a favor, you expect to receive a favor in return. Kindness is not a favor and acts done out of kindness for people are not debts that they now owe you. Kindness is what you do for those that have nothing to offer in return.

I once had a friend who was a devout Christian. He would always do acts for people, but, after a time, when nothing was returned unto him, he started to gripe about how the acts of kindness he had done were not doing him any good; he would say that the people he helped were pointless to help as they could not benefit him in any way. And I see this attitude often in believers, whether it be food stamps, unemployment, or equal rights. They always look at themselves first, and never look beyond the selfish and greedy scope. They try to determine who is lazy and who is worthy of help and completely disregard what Jesus would do and what Jesus did.

With kindness, you reach out in love for your fellow man, offering grace, compassion, and mercy through your kind acts. You may never see this person again but that does not matter. The fact remains that you were able to touch a life and to help them in some way. Kindness is about reaching out to others, not demanding payment in return or trying to decide who is worthy and who is not. You have to walk a mile in someone’s shoes before you can even begin to hope to understand their struggles and their battles. You have to be willing to reach out and offer a light in the darkness- not turn your backs and only help those who are worthy of it, in your estimation.

The nature of kindness is loving, hopeful, and prayerful. It is a nature that transcends all socioeconomic levels and can help a person grow in wisdom. It can heal hearts and souls, while it can also encourage with the healing and the loving. Just be kind to all things.



© 2013 Jordan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on December 15, 2013
Last Updated on December 15, 2013


Author

Jordan
Jordan

Crossville, TN



About
•♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*• ❤ ☮✞✡ "You guys are all into th.. more..

Writing
Shaken Shaken

A Poem by Jordan