The Nature of Grace

The Nature of Grace

A Chapter by Jordan
"

Exploring what Grace is and how it ties into religion, if it even does..

"

In many religions, we often hear talk about grace, forgiveness, love, and mercy. They are often presented in abstract forms and a full understanding is not gained, unless you actively search for it yourself.

So. What is Grace?

We hear about God’s grace in forgiving us, but it is never truly explained. What is this grace? And is it just a religious thing or is it something that applies to all?

Grace is many things. When it comes to grace, it does not need perfection and it is not about perfection. Instead, it is about recognizing the flaws of a person and of yourself, and accepting them. It is about being kind to others, reaching out to others, and being a blessing to another person or occupant of this world.

“Grace means that all of your mistakes serve a purpose instead of serving shame.”

We Occupy Jesus

 

I have come across many quotes concerning grace, and one of them stated, “I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection.” That recognizes that perfection is not needed or even a concern. It is about grace- an acceptance of who you are, of your nature as a person (which is not inherently evil or destined to damnation) but that there are flaws present because that is in all of us.


Grace is about love, humility, kindness, compassion, and mercy. It is about hope, it is about light, and it is about recognizing that we are imperfect and embracing who we are.


People often say that religions have a monopoly on hope. I disagree. Many religions (or rather certain dogmas of some) push for perfection to be the standard and grace to be sought through perfection. That is the monopoly- they have a monopoly on perfection and grace. To make one feel inferior and to utterly make them despise themselves as a sinner because they were born that way is the way to control a populace. But that is not the grace that is needed or even what grace is about.


Grace is also for yourself. It is not for just one person or someone who is a sinner. It is for all and it is about recognizing that we are going to make mistakes and we are flawed. It is a part of having freedom of choice.

The nature of grace is one what recognizes the nature of others as being flawed but accepting them anyway. And it is also about accepting yourself as a flawed person. Grace encourages the use of mistakes as stepping stones and building blocks to get where you need to be and to help a person get to where they need to be.

So, no. Grace is not for just the religious or spiritual. Grace is for all of us and can be used for all.



© 2014 Jordan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Grace is compassion. .......

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on April 2, 2014
Last Updated on April 2, 2014
Tags: grace, nature, religion, thoughts, hope, love, We Occupy Jesus, WOJ


Author

Jordan
Jordan

Crossville, TN



About
•♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*• ❤ ☮✞✡ "You guys are all into th.. more..

Writing
Shaken Shaken

A Poem by Jordan