Castle Mine, The Beast 1

Castle Mine, The Beast 1

A Story by DreadfulBride

Castle Mine, The Beast 1

I have considered it and decided. You have asked of me a very terrible thing. This one time, despite misgivings and apprehension, I shall let it be known to you. Where I go you can not follow. When I am done you may very well wish you had not asked.

A light mist fills the air as gathering clouds darken the sky.
Thick flakes of rust burst upon well trodden ground. Moans of agony from heavy iron hindges fill the air as a great oaken, iron bound gate reluctantly swings open. A putrid choking stench ascends in its wake.
A dark marble porte-cochere reveals a gentle slope of heavy grey flag stone descending into inky blackness within a wall of Castle Mine.

A distant thunder rolls away to the horizon as I think, lighting this torch. 

Though we are a world apart, could you but see the wash of tears streak hot upon my face. If only I could hear you shout in mortified horror.

"Stop!"

I shall have no such reprieve .
Cringing, with torch alight, hand splayed out against the darkness warding, I shuffle forward.

2
I step through the threshold.

"We don't want to go here. Nut! Do you know where you are going?"
a voice in my head mortified. 

Have you ever heard a fly scream at the top of it's lungs?

"Go, go away, leave me alone", I respond apprehensively.

I begin my descent as darkness lay siege to light and sight. A opens behind me.
Flick,.. flick, flicker, blue-white light strikes the black marble wall to my left. My shadow skates along beneath the polished surface. A dark form hunching, a creep stares darkly blank back at me. My shadow, really? I know this place. Deception rules here.  

"You know where your go-iiing!" a quick sharp whisper jabs though my mind.

"You know where you are too. Don't you Joseph? That shadow may not be a shadow and the taunt, certainly is not of you", counters another voice, flatly calm.
All too well do I know where I am going and where I am.
It is here where they go, all of them. I can not be rid of them.

I live in the sun and beauty of life that is behind me now. I can choose not to entertain them there. They starve quickly. I don't feed them. I don't listen.
They are gone to this wretched place when they find no purchase elsewhere. Here in dark spot of the apple, is the worm. All it's minions lay in wait. 

           (a work in progress)



© 2016 DreadfulBride


Author's Note

DreadfulBride
in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
Added on October 24, 2015
Last Updated on February 17, 2016

Author

DreadfulBride
DreadfulBride

WY



About
Beware the seductive muse. Whispered of half truths she imbues. My work, not all is dark at night. Not all is light in the morning. It is all about expression and sight. Get it right, less.. more..

Writing
Dread Dread

A Poem by DreadfulBride