Chapter 1:The future

Chapter 1:The future

A Chapter by Josh Heighton
"

This chapter explains the main conflict that strives the world to come together and make things right after so much wrong

"
   Bullets flew over head as the officer in charge suddenly lost his voice a long with head. It rolled past the other men taking cover behind a broken building wall. Quickly, Sergeant Mason took control as six men passed him running towards a flaming armored vehicle. "You guys!" He yelled, trying to holler over gun fire. "Once in position suppress the enemy from there so bravo can cross the street. The men, with haste, moved into position and automatically fired on the enemy areas ahead. Mason and his team had been pinned for hours now with little ground gained. The street was long and ended into a giant hill where enemy fire was spewing down on top of them. He could not help thinking: "How did we get here?"


   As the world grows so does the need for supply and demand. In turn there was not a lot of job shortages around the world. As economies leveled and war's calmed, the nations began to look at more efficient ways to produce materials, fuel resources, and profits. Soon the United Nations began to banned together and create the first batch of artificial intelligent workers. More and more "robots" were created as supply and demand sky rocketed. The world, for a short time, seemed to be on the right path. Unfortunately, the U.N. discovered that this A.I. was thinking for itself and may have the ability to become a separate civilization. The robots soon became sanctioned and sectioned off into shanty towns. The primary source of power for these machines was the sun and the world was hard pressed to repress the AI from "living" out there lives as they feared another racism movement. The U.N. finally gave the growing number of human trait robots a place to live. A large dessert in the middle east paved the way for growth with the new races ever growing population. Years went by and the robots gained the edge over the larger nations in the stock market. The nation called "Metropolis" was building, shipping, expanding, buying, and selling at a rate twenty times greater than any other country. They did not sleep, eat, or use the bathroom. Being machine there nation ran twenty four hours a day and seven days a week. It was only a matter of time before the U.N. would put sanctions on the imports into Metropolis. The robotic nation just replied back by not importing into the countries that were apart of the United Nations. All robotic entities were subtracted from the "super powers." This meant that any robot is a foreign place other than Metropolis would be recalled back. Soon after the U.N. sanction other countries pulled out and reinstated relations to keep production levels up imports began coming through the borders once again. Finally, a conference was held to help relinquish some tension between countries across the world. Metropolis was not invited to attend. Upset and confused they demanded to be heard. Once the conference had ended, official documents were released, on purpose, showing details of military strength within Metropolis. Shocked and in fear the U.N. ordered the army to be decommissioned. The first robot to human combat occurred in the "Jordan massacre." Forces gathered in Jordan for a U.N. attack to take out military strength in the robot nation. The invasion was over in just 3 hours. The intelligence was false in regards to the number of forces the robots actually had. The battle ratio of forces was one attacking to six defending. In three hours twenty five thousand U.N. soldiers were vaporized. Their tactics were superior, armed forces did not feel pain, and they used hot tungsten rounds that penetrated the thickest Armour. The U.N. was no match for Jordan and for all the battles that followed. As much as humans tried to enhance, armor, weapons, and tactics it simply did not match to the cold hearts of Metropolis. The earth now a cold waste land is home to few countries that are still surviving and trying to push back the robot insurgency.

   Once the machine gun's fired so that Sergeants Mason team could cross, it seemed to be running smoothly. Ever since their armored vehicle was hit by tungsten rockets, the men had to push two kilometers north on foot. Hot rounds still landed near Mason's feet. He knew that there was one slug out there with his name on it. The rounds or "slugs" that the robots fired were large and made of super heated tungsten. The round, if contacted to human flesh, would burn right through armor and go through flesh making a very clean exit whole. Every solider was issued a steal plated chest piece, plated knee pads, and a ballistic helmet that covered the entire face. Extra face protection meant that the men and women were less likely to get hit with hot shrapnel. The Visor was an up side down triangle on the helmet, which displayed information vital to battlefield awareness. Mason pivoted and fired his assault rifle. The rifle fired a fifty caliber round, the only thing that would take a robot out, and it was from M-16 design. The M-31 was standard issue in fighting the war against the robot nations. Mason ducked behind a broken down car to reload his weapon. Bright yellow streaks flew and struck the flaming armored vehicle. There was only several of his men left plus the machine gun squad that he ordered to suppress the enemy above. The situation was getting uglier by the minute. He moved with great speed to the next cover point which let him link up with bravo who successfully moved across the street. Enemy fire still concentrated its resources on the gunners behind. The ruse worked...hopefully. "Whats the situation sir?" One of the soldiers asked. "Vehicle is down and out. We need to push up and take out that MG nest." Mason knew this was not going to be easy as the robots had very advanced targeting systems. He signaled for the MG team to move to house next to him. At least movement was getting easier. Just as it seemed alright to move,after the MG team set up, a large explosion rocked the building. "Artillery!" Several men opened fire out of the back windows. The robot forces seems to be mobilizing. A streak of yellow screamed just passed Mason's head. "Sniper fire," Mason called out as he to ducked behind cover getting ready to return fire. After a quick magazine check, he too opened up. Mason aimed for the cause of the streak or sniper fire. His rifle scope, which was only four time magnification, was just able to pinpoint the sniper's position. Three shots from Masons gun made the robot spark and fall off the roof it was laying on. The other troops also had luck as the enemy MG nest was eliminated. Maybe just maybe there would be a fighting chance.

   


© 2013 Josh Heighton


Author's Note

Josh Heighton
ignore grammar problems please, overall good chapter?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on May 7, 2013
Last Updated on May 7, 2013
Tags: conflict, sci-fi, war, battle, chapter


Author

Josh Heighton
Josh Heighton

Canada



About
nothing really to impressive. I am very new to writing online. However, I have been writing short stories since I was a child. Started back writing just recently, after not touching any pieces for abo.. more..

Writing
ONLINE ONLINE

A Poem by Josh Heighton


HUMAN HUMAN

A Poem by Josh Heighton


Alone Alone

A Poem by Josh Heighton