Sniper comrade

Sniper comrade

A Story by Josh Heighton
"

A sniper tries to come to grips with his life

"
   Russia was in ruins with flames burning sky high. Stalingrad had never looked so broken. Yuri was assigned to provide over watch for a near by position. It wasn't his first rodeo. Yuri had been on sixty missions prior and never missed a shot. His current roost very on top of a clay tiled roof, with several vantage points over looking the area ahead. His rifle lay at the peak, silent, steady, and aimed to perfection. Peering through the scope, which could magnify at 12x, the area ahead seemed very close. There was a road that led to a small rock bridge. Yuri knew that if there was to be a counter attack, the bridge would be the only way for forces to move. Several hours passed,and the air was ever so still. Night fall was right around the corner, and the sun was setting behind Yuri. Dusk was always silent. Most forces would attack by day and fire artillery at night. Dust was the one time the world seemed, mostly, at peace. A glimmer caught Yuri's attention as well as his cross hair. Sure enough, a black shadowed figure lay prone near the rock bridge. The character most likely crossed the water to avoid being seen on the bridge. Yuri once again looked through his scope studying the enemy. His mind briefly flashed to times of happiness while playing with a child hood friend. Both were wanting to grow up to make their families proud. However, later both moved separate ways never seeing each other again. The shadowed figure would have to be eliminated. Yuri began to calm his breathing to a slower pace. He focused on the targets forehead and gently squeezed the trigger. With a pop and a yellow flash, the bullet ripped the air apart. In an instant the target fell. Yuri quickly jumped down off of the roof and headed towards the downed enemy. He would have to check the pulse to make sure death was occurring. With haste and yet stealth, Yuri hustled to the target. As he came closer and closer, the corpse illuminated in front of him. There in a sheet of blood lay his best friend from Yuri's childhood. The corpse was actually still breathing. To Yuri's surprise his friend was still kicking. Not shocked the fallen comrade turned as grunted. "Only the best could have beaten me. And I knew that would be you. Sorry old friend." Yuri had no idea why comrade was apologizing. With a click the body finally fell into its deep sleep. Yuri has still baffled by the bullets out come. Forgetting the click he fell to his knees. Tears shed and the faces of all his targets rocked his brain all at once. "I am the one that is sorry, comrade." The click rolled out of the dead's hand and erupted into a great explosion. Maybe now both will die an honor to their families. Yuri only dreamed he would meet his comrade again, as the lie drained out of his scorched corpse.     

© 2013 Josh Heighton


Author's Note

Josh Heighton
thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on May 24, 2013
Last Updated on May 24, 2013
Tags: conflict, war, battle, chapter

Author

Josh Heighton
Josh Heighton

Canada



About
nothing really to impressive. I am very new to writing online. However, I have been writing short stories since I was a child. Started back writing just recently, after not touching any pieces for abo.. more..

Writing
ONLINE ONLINE

A Poem by Josh Heighton


HUMAN HUMAN

A Poem by Josh Heighton


Alone Alone

A Poem by Josh Heighton