War

War

A Story by Judith Reznor
"

A young girl gets a surprise from her beloved brother...

"

 Irene sits on a hard wooden swing at the park, wondering where her dad is. Where is he? What does he look like? All Irene knows is his name... She envies her older brothers for knowing what he looks like and where he is. Her brothers and mom say that she looks just like her dad, with thick curly brown hair, and big hazel eyes. She asks if she can meet her dad, or even just see a picture, but no one will show her. Irene and her family doesn't have much except for each other. Her mom married to a very mean man, who only feeds Irene and her twin older brothers, who are seven years older than she is, bread as a meal. Her oldest brother, who is ten years older than her, is in Vietnam for the war...

Irene slowly swings back and forth, thinking about her older brother, James. She wonders if he's okay, or if he is still alive. She didn't realize how much she'd miss him when he left for the war, but she knows its to keep her safe. Irene and James write letters to another, but she wishes she'd be able to write him more. Irene slows the swing to a stop to fix her white shoe, when she hears footsteps behind her. She glances over her shoulder, squinting from the sun. The person behind her gets closer, and she realizes who it is. It's her brother, James with a wide smile across his face and wearing full army attire. Irene jumps of the swing with excitement, and jumps onto her brother with open arms. Tears stream down her face and partially onto her brother's uniform, and James lifts her up.

“I have something to show you, toots.” James says to her.

Irene nods at him, and he pulls out a small box from his deep pocket. She opens it, and finds a small heart shaped locket with a picture of herself and James in it, and also finds another small picture in the bottom of the box. Irene picks up the picture, and unfolds it. It's a man in his 50's standing before a garden with three young children. Irene looks at James, very confused.

“Who is this man?” asks Irene.

“Irene, honey, don't tell mom I'm showing you this, because I know she'll get upset, but that's our dad with me, Noah, and Neil. Mom was pregnant with you still, and Dad wanted a day with just the boys. I know you wanted to at least know what your father looks like, and I only believe that it's fair that you can see where you came from. He's in Michigan now, I just don't know what part...” James responds quietly and calmly while holding Irene.

Irene begins to cry, and buries her face into her brother's shoulder. James pets Irene's curls and hugs her, trying to get her to calm down. Irene is just happy to know what her father looks like, and where he is... She wants to meet him so bad, but she knows that she'll get in trouble with her mom and stepfather for even mentioning wanting to meet him. But, her brother is home, and she could never be more thankful for it...  

© 2013 Judith Reznor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Soulful and full of emotions. I liked the innocence of Irene, the character.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very innocent,lovely and emotional story.
I was about to weep while reading the piece.
I can relate this with my own life to some extent.
Thanks for sharing.
I congratulate you for this lovely piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


zainul

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
I am impressed by the originality of your idea and presentation.
T.. read more
Judith Reznor

10 Years Ago

Thank you! You too!
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome,dear friend.:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 13, 2013
Last Updated on June 13, 2013
Tags: war, 1940s

Author

Judith Reznor
Judith Reznor

Massillon, OH



About
First things first; Judith Reznor is the name I write under. I came up with the name because Judith is a song that I feel describes my past, and Reznor is the last name of a musician that highly inspi.. more..

Writing