Shrapnel

Shrapnel

A Story by JulieZee
"

A group of friends are stuck in a war they had no business starting. They will fight for their lives and each other.

"

“I am in control.” They were just four firm words. Jack spoke them more like a threat than the promise I knew them to be. Our eyes locked in a dare. An explosion shattered the silence and I heard shrapnel rain down on the floor above. My eyes flickered to the window and another flash. I briefly wondered if the next explosion would be closer. “I am in control.” He said a little firmer as he grabbed my face and forced me to look at him. His fingers dug into my cheeks. A tear feel from down my cheek and over his finger. Gently he wiped it away.

 

“Just keep looking at me.” I nodded my head and trained my eyes on his face. It was dark and I could barely make out the strong line of his chin. With every bomb and flash, his eyes flared. There was anger there and determination. If there was fear, he kept it locked far away. He was in control and we were going to make it through.

 

 

“The bullet is still in there. You need a medic and not just for that bullet hole.” He said. This was not news to me. I could feel the bullet against my bone. I could not lift my arm and I had lost a lot of blood. I was sure of that much. Woozy I tried to sit up but my head was heavy. How did it all go south so fast?

 

“How many rounds do you have?” He asked as he stood. I handed him my pistol. He walked to the doorway and peered out into the hellfire beyond.

 

“I have three more magazines.” I paused, the next words felt like acid in my throat. “If you check Martinez and Jasper you might find a few more.”

 

“Is anyone left?” He asked without looking back.

 

“No. I don’t know. Maybe Provo. We lost contact with him so I guess he could still be alive.” It was a stupid hopeless wish I told myself so I could find the strength to stand.

 

I leaned against the concrete wall beside Jack. He looked at me in his peripheral.

 

“You look awful.” He said.

 

“Well, I’ve been waiting for my knight is shining armor to show up and rescue me but he never showed.” I said trying to crack a smile.

 

“What a jerk.” He said then he smiled that crazy smile and I knew he was in control.

 

“I guess I’ll just have to settle for you, huh?”

 

“Yep. That’s what friends are for.” He looked back at me. “Ready?”

 

“Yea, lead me home.”

© 2014 JulieZee


Author's Note

JulieZee
This is how stories come to me. I only see one little snippet at a time. Only a minute or two are revealed and then I am shoved back to my world. I write frantically or repeat it over and over to I can write. Sorry if it is short. I will add more as I go along.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Compelling and enjoyable read. Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on February 17, 2014
Tags: war, friendship, fighting

Author

JulieZee
JulieZee

CA



About
I find the most interesting part about a person is the thoughts and feelings that go unsaid and unnoticed. So many people say they are straight forward and an open book. However, there are always thou.. more..

Writing
Nervous Nervous

A Poem by JulieZee