Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Adam G Thompson
"

Pretty much the first thing i've ever written. Felt like posting.

"

Prologue
“Get the flashlight Beth!”
It had been a long day for Frank. Pulling a twelve hour shift at the plant had become a fairly regular thing for him but add to that the car breaking down. Frank had gotten home around eightish and was already pretty delirious from lack of sleep. God I hope that’s all it is. He thought to himself.
Frank and Elizabeth had been married for almost twenty years now and were finally settling into the house they had bought roughly three years ago. It was still difficult however to find certain things that they had yet to devote a permanent space of the house to. Things like flashlights, batteries, etc. Elizabeth opened a box shoved underneath the kitchen sink and grabbed a small red colored flashlight buried underneath a load of other items they had yet to unpack properly since they had moved in.
“Honey maybe we should just call the station.”
Frank ignored her. It had already been a pretty s****y day and the possibility of someone trespassing on their fairly new property had been the final trigger. No he was going to take care of this before the son of b***h had the chance to escape.
Frank stepped onto his back patio. He grabbed a leftover fence stake lying by their outdoor freezer. The backyard was a pretty eerie sight at night, dead grass due to cold weather and nothing but an old redwood shed sitting in their yard. Other than that there was an unusual quite encompassing their property which he'd never understood. They were surrounded by trees and a few streams yet there was never the slightest notion of wildlife or any life for that matter. They weren’t too far from town that the idea of a trespasser was unheard of but if someone had, then there was most definitely more effort put forward to do so. It was unlikely that this was some stupid prank being played by the local high school delinquents. This gave Frank a slightly more concerned feeling than he had originally felt. He started cautiously approaching the shed. Every step he took was amplified by the unusual silence surrounding him. He quickly opened the door to the shed; the steak ready to strike--there was no one in the shed. Frank breathed a sigh of relief. Yep just losing it. No wait what was that? To the right of the shed in the trees there was a glimpse of a shadow. Was it moving? No but for some reason it faded in and out of Frank’s vision.
“Look the jokes over I’m calling the police if you’re not off my Property within the next ten seconds!” No response but the shadow remained. “I’m serious now. Get your a*s off my property!” Frank was admittedly starting to feel very concerned but something drew him towards the shadow. It was no longer anger, nor some sense of pride. Something was very wrong. And yet he continued to walk towards it. He thought for a moment that the shadow started to form the shape of a man but as he stepped within several feet of where it stood there was nothing there. He heard a crack to the left. Another shadow once again not moving, but constantly fazing in and out of sight. What the Hell is going on?!Frank thought to himself. Sweat was forming on his temples.
He decided it was time to head back to the house and call the police. He was about twenty yards away. Suddenly he began to hear a constant beat not unlike what you’d hear at a live performance right as someone was about to perform a daring act. The beat was far off and it was unclear as to which direction it was emitting. He started to sprint for the house. Eighteen feet, fifteen, twelve. The constant drum beat still playing in the open, or in his head it wasn’t clear at this point. The house visible as he approached the clearing. Now he was on the grass again passing the shed, the beat steadily getting louder like a timer ticking off the remaining seconds of some indiscernible event. He was about to step on to the porch when he suddenly heard a horrible noise newly added and accompanying the drum beat. He turned around to see, but there was no one. Turning back around, he found that the house was gone. Replaced with trees. In fact there was nothing but trees. No shed, no grass, only trees everywhere he turned. The beat was now deafening. Frank screamed out for Elizabeth but there was no reply. An intense pain was now surging through his brain. Then he saw it again. The shadow that had been indistinct was now clear and ten feet in front of him. He could clearly make out what it was. A black figure. At first glance it looked as if the creature was covered in an oil like substance but Frank began to question whether this was truly the case or maybe the creature was so black that his mind was trying to rationalize the creature into something more perceivable. The face was a different story. The eyes were Bright white. You could look into them and never see an end to the abyss that lay within. The creature was drawing close but neither it nor frank appeared to actually be moving. As it approached its mouth began to open and it could only be described as static both visually, and audibly. Not the kind of static you hear on TVs but the type that sounded like an inseparable fusion of Screaming and the sound you think you hear when sprayed with mist. The static was now drowning out the sound of the drums. Getting louder and louder until finally it drowned out everything. The Trees, the night, even his own presence was in question. There was only static. Frank no longer could move. He couldn’t even look away from the horrible sight. And the longer he looked the more his head began to throb.


© 2013 Adam G Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on May 7, 2013
Last Updated on May 7, 2013
Tags: Dark, Cabin, Woods, horror