Let Me Tell You a Story

Let Me Tell You a Story

A Story by Just Plain Me
"

I really need people to review this...it's my english homework and this is part of my grade.

"

   Hi, my name is Courtney...and I'm going to tell you a story. And before you ask why is some stranger I've never met before, nor ever will again most likely, telling me a story? I'll tell you why...this story is about life. Not that fake crap everyone put on as their life, their little play. No, this is the story of real lives...the ones with pain, misery, lies.
   If you look around us you'll see a boy with brown hair and a green laptop too the left of us. His name is Liam Greene. His parents split up when he was ten after his father walked in on his wife and his best friend...being intimate we'll say, incase you have tender ears. Sad part is, Liam's father just went to his closet, grabbed his favorite jacket, and walked out while Joel was groaning over his wife. Liam looks like a good kid, doesn't he? Well looks can be deceiving. That boy is as high as a kite right now...not a care in the world.
   Oh and the teenage girl with the blond hair behind the counter over there? That's Maxx. She has two kids, about 6 months old. She doesn't know who the father is...eight men raped her in one night because her father forgot he was supposed to pick her up from work. She started walking home and they found her. Nine months later, she has two reminders of that event for the rest of her life. Max just started working again yesterday, she's terrified still.
  
   Miss, I don't mean to be rude...but I don't see what this has to do with me. Like you said, I don't even know you. You just randomly call my house one day asking too meet me at the local internet cafe? I don't know why you wanted to talk to me...but I don't go around talking to people who try to guess how people live their lives.

   Everything I'm telling you has a purpose, you just have to wait and see what that purpose is.
   Anyway, as I was saying, there's a little girl about six years old playing with a doll under the table over there? That's Megan Feltchel . She's been blind since her mother "accidently" dum- I mean dropped a quart of bleach in her eyes two years ago. Her mom left her daughter screaming in pain on the floor and went to go to watch TV. Her brother found her three hours later, unconscious from the pain.

   What does any of this have to do with me?! I'm not that poor boy's parents, or the men who raped that poor girl. And I would never hurt my children like that! And I would never leave them like that. I fail to see the point of this meeting. If you'll excuse me, my sons are getting out of school.

   Sit down Mister Laseon, I have one more story to tell. Then you'll see the relevance.
   About thirty years ago, there was a woman who loved her children...as much as you do yours. Unfortunately, though, she was addicted to drugs, scared from the rape that had caused her children, and almost completely blinded by her foster mother...so she didn't know how to care for her children. She had a beautiful girl and a wonderful little boy.
   One day, she came home from one of her stops and decided that since her foster father had her children for the night she'd use this as one of her free days and get high. It dulled the pain of her memories...or that's what she said anyway. About ten minutes after taking the pills, she got a call from her foster father telling her her daughter was having a serious medical problem. The woman laughed and said 'Oh that's wonderful' and hung up the phone on her father.
   The next day she found out that while high on her living room couch, her eighteen month old daughter had been fighting for her life...and lost the sixteen-hour long battle. The woman realized that she was in no condition to be a mother and gave her son up...so she would still have one of her children on this earth.

   Courtney, I feel  for whoever this woman was...or is. But that doesn't matter. This isn't my life!

  
Oh but it is Kyle. You were that little boy given up by his mother. On July 19, 1979, at eleven-twenty-four I gave you to my cousin who wanted children of her own, but her and her husband couldn't. I memorized your beautiful little face and then handed you off.
   I heard about your alcohol from Cloe and I have to tell you give it up before you lose a much more important thing...or two of them. I don't want you to live the life I have because of a selfish indulgence.

   -speechless- Um, I really don't know what to say...or how to react to this.

   Simply tell an old woman that you won't have to sit your children down thirty years from today and say "Let me tell you a story."
   
 

 

© 2010 Just Plain Me


Author's Note

Just Plain Me
It's two people having a conversation...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very nice, if a wee bit confusing. It's rather hard to do a narrative like this, but I think you can pull it off. I have a few minor criticisms to (hopefully) help you.
1. '-speechless-' Gaah! This is not a chatroom through which they communicate, and even if it was, some shocked person isn't going to type out '-speechless-' Give us some stuttering or something, to SHOW us how Kyle is speechless.
2. You might try a different POV. It would be a whole lot stronger and less confusing, IMHO, in a close third person with both Kyle's and Courtney's thoughts. If you do try close third, we need to have strong, showing descriptions, a lot of body language, and thoughts of both characters. Bring them out, make them real.
3. I hate to be a grammar nazi, but you do have some grammatical errors.
I think this has buttloads of potential. You execute it well, but I think you can do it better. And if you can, this'll make a great story (not to mention it'll sell!).
Best Wishes and Highest Regards and Deepest Sincerity and Utmost Honor and All Due Respect and All That Stuff,
--Andrew


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think you did a really great job on this story . I think you will get and A on it.
Thanks for sharing.
Kelley

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow. thats a wonderful story. the emotion was very powerful. great write

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to you girl!!!! powerful write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's amazing how you bring the reader in with you... making us feel a part of your story. Such a vivid account, painfully at times, yet you pull us in through a very unique writing style. This is a brilliant, gripping piece!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

incredible story! this was a very powerful and emotional tale and i love the way you tell it. you have a great ability for storytelling. great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

wow this was possibly one of the most AMAZING stories ive read in my life. You did very well! A+++++++ :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow, that is really good... It is shockingly depressing yet it makes you wonder what he says after she asks him not to to what she is doing now... I loved the read thank you for the request.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is really good. I like how you changed the text for each person speaking in the story. Very professional and makes it easier for the reader to follow. The story in itself is great, and it flows from beginning to end. Great work! This should score you a good grade.

Jay

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A very powerful write here,
I like this alot, very well written.


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I loved it.. It was really powerful!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

819 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 27, 2009
Last Updated on March 25, 2010

Author

Just Plain Me
Just Plain Me

Olympia, WA



About
“I don't pretend to know what love is for everyone, but I can tell you what it is for me; love is knowing all about someone, and still wanting to be with them more than any other person, love is.. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Just Plain Me


Life Life

A Poem by Just Plain Me



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..