When We Think of Heaven

When We Think of Heaven

A Poem by Just Shlomo

What do we look for when we think of heaven?
Do we think only of a great reward for a life well lived, or do we think of what effect a multitude of lives lived well, will have on the world around us.  Two ideas, both at once connected and contradicting.
Both of these ideas are about seeking some sort of divine or heavenly reward, both involve living a certain way, or abiding by a select set of rules.  Each of these paths can lead you to be a better person, if one truly takes their teachings to heart.
However, one of these pathways is a straight path, that while its followers might waver it’s aim stays true,unlike its counterpart which is full of bends and shortcuts.  Only one of them seeks to improve life for the sole purpose of improving life.  The alternative choses to improve a life, not to make that life better, but instead to gain some far off award.
What is the best path to take, what path is truly more humanitarian? What path, is truly the way of the wise? Do we chose the easer path, with its far off reward of an eternity, or do we walk the harder path that will lead us to finding a piece of heaven here on earth?  For what reason should you should sacrifice eternity, for instant gratification, rather then giving up instant gratification for eternal rewards.

© 2014 Just Shlomo


Author's Note

Just Shlomo
Please feel free to leave any thoughts and/or suggestions. What images are coming to mind? What emotions are evoked?

Thank you for your input.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on May 21, 2014
Last Updated on May 27, 2014
Tags: Heaven, soul, life, wisdom, eternal, eternity, humanitarian, religion