Skipper Elephant

Skipper Elephant

A Story by Justine Heart
"

A non-fiction anecdote of young children at play

"

Skipper Elephant

A story about my younger sister

Justine Heart

 

                I was about four or five when this incident happened.  My sister and I were in the living room while my father was recording us.  This was a typical weekend (probably a Saturday) when I was a child.

                As I was saying, my sister and I were not doing much except playing with dolls or watching TV.  I think my sister was sick or something.  Keep in mind we were both very young when this occurred.  I think I was four or five and my sister was two or three.  Kim, my sister, was sitting or lying on the couch watching television, and I was playing with my Skipper® doll.  This was not out of the norm for two children.  I think I was trying to make her feel better when I went up to her to encourage her to play with me.  Here is how the incident went down:

                “Hey, Kimmy,” I said, “wanna play dollies with me?”  There was no response.  I tried a different tactic.

                “Kimmy this is my Skipper® dolly.  You wanna to play with her?” I asked, hoping she would.  This is when things went a little sour.  You see Kim knew how to push my buttons.  I was very easily teased and very sensitive to that teasing.  So Kim’s response was naturally to be consistent to a little sister taunting her big sister.

                “Elephant!” she said.  I looked at her, confused.  Was she talking about my doll? She could plainly see that my doll was not an elephant.  Why would she say such a random word such as “elephant”?  I tried again, cautiously.

                “No, Kimmy, this is a Skipper® doll,” I reiterated, emphasizing the Skipper®.

                “Elephant!” she demanded, this time she had a wide smile on her face.  I think I started to see what she was doing by this time, so I switched tactics again.

                “No,” I asserted, “this is a Skipper® doll, and she is mine.”

                Kim’s smile widened, and she said, “My Skipper®!” My face was starting to turn red with impatience and anger.  I was not going to let her win at this little, bratty, mind game. I did the next thing every child does when a possession is in question. 

                “No she’s my Skipper®,” I reaffirmed.  I braced myself ready for what was coming, yet still not imagining how it would set me off.

                “My Skipper®,” Kim smiled devilishly.  I screamed in anger and ran out of the room.

                “DADDY!”

© 2013 Justine Heart


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on January 28, 2013
Last Updated on January 28, 2013

Author

Justine Heart
Justine Heart

Sparks, NV



About
I am your typical writer who would love to find out how to make money on her writing skill. I know I have a talent in this area, and I think I could make some money at it. I live in Sparks, NV with .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Justine Heart