The Last Sunset - Chapter 5

The Last Sunset - Chapter 5

A Chapter by Jvonne

Chapter Five

Shalimar could hear the sound of seagulls somewhere in the distance.  The air around her felt damp and she tasted salt in her mouth.   Somewhere someone was shouting.  It was her mother.  It sounded far away and soft as if though she was on the other side of a glass door.

Shalimar tried desperately to open her eyes but they remained shut.  Panic took over her body.  Why couldn’t she wake up?

“Shalimar!” she heard her mother and then everything went silent and there was nothing… her body felt lightless as if though it were floating.    After a while her breathing became steady and her eyes slowly fluttered open.

There was a clear blue sky above her. It seemed to glow.  Shalimar had never seen such a pretty shade of blue.  It seemed almost unearthly…..

With a sudden jolt of fear she sat upright.  Her eyes widened as she took in her surroundings.  She was laying on a beach whiter than a dove only a few inches away from the ocean which sparkled brightly in the sunlight.  A group of seagulls circled above her.

She looked around franticly for someone that might come to her rescue but the beach seemed to stretch out for miles and miles on end.   Unable to control her emotions she started crying.  Pounding her fists into the white almost velvety sand she cried and cried for what felt like hours on end.

When the tears dried up and her head started to ace she got up slowly.

“Hello?!” she shouted feeling silly. 

“Why do you cry as if someone just died?” a voice asked

Shalimar spun around but saw no one.

“What? Where are you?” she asked

“Why you silly girl I’m right in front of you” the voice said

“No you’re not!” Shalimar said

“Yes I am”

“Then why can’t I see you?”

“Because you don’t want to…”

“What does that mean? Off course I do.”

“Then calm your heartbeat and tell your mind to see”

“I don’t understand”

“Oh dear you are boring me now, perhaps I should leave…’

“No!” Shalimar shouted.  Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes and tried to relax.  She imagined her room and the save, comforting environment of her house and the things she knew.  Bracing herself she opened her eyes again.

Right there in front of her stood a man, no more than a foot tall grinning up at her.  He looked like one of the dwarfs in “Snow white” except he wasn’t dressed as funny as one would expect.  He wore a rather tight pair of jeans and a blue short sleeved t-shirt.  There were blue streaks in his hair and it was cut stylishly.  He was a rather attractive little dwarf.

“Who are you?” she asked

“My name is Gabriel,Chayden sent me to keep you company until he arrives” Gabriel said looking a little bored.

“Who is Chayden  Shalimar asked

“You’re not from around here are you?” he said studying her

“Off course not!” Shalimar said trying her best not to start crying again

“Oh, I thought you were one of Chayden’s  girlfriends” he said smiling revealing one glimmering gold tooth.

“No I’m not” Shalimar said

“Where are you from then?” he asked

“I...” Shalimar began but stopped remembering her mother’s warning not to trust anyone.

“Well? Who are you?” he asked curiously

“I’m sure Chayden whoever he is told you” she said

“No he didn’t just that I should look after you until he arrives”

“Well there’s no need, I’m fine” Shalimar said raising her chin determinately.

“You didn’t seem fine a minute ago”

“Look I don’t know you and I certainly don’t know this Chayden. So please show me which way to the nearest town so that we can go our separate ways” Shalimar said.

Gabriel smiled and pointed upwards.

“I don’t understand” Shalimar said

“You’re not the smartest one are you? Up, as in up through the clouds...” he said shaking his head

“You seem confused” he said rolling his eyes when Shalimar just stared at him.

“Yes” she answered offended by his rude comments.

“The only way of this beach is if you have wings or if you can fly.  I’m sure you can’t or are you hiding a pair of wings somewhere?” he asked and for the first time Shalimar realised that she was still wearing her very skimpy night dress.

“How did you get here then?” she asked feeling very self-conscious.

“Chayden dropped me off on his way to the party” Gabriel said.

Shalimar decided not to ask what party or when Chayden would be back.  Instead she sat down and stared at the ocean in front of her ignoring Gabriel completely.  She wanted very badly to freak out and break something.

She wondered what her mom was doing right now.  Why could she not have had a little more time? What would her mom tell Rowan? Rowan, she might never see him again or her mother.  Ironic she thought.  The moment she found someone like Rowan the carpet would be yanked out from beneath her.

It was her birthday today and she would be spending it in Elypsia.  A place unknown to her with its strange sky and dwarfs. 

“Relax; you’ll be home before you know it.  And besides you haven’t turned into an alien yet” she whispered to herself grateful that at least she was still human.

Home, where was home?  How many realms was she away from Rowan?  Would he have tried calling her yet, perhaps gone by her house to see why she didn’t pick up her cell phone?

 “Either stop thinking or move away from  the water please,  your messing up the waters and its disturbing for those of us who aren’t as depressed as you are” Gabriel said

Shalimar shot him an annoyed look but then she saw what he meant.  A large section of the sparkling ocean was starting to go murky and dark.

“Why is it doing that?” she asked

“your thoughts are seeping into the waters and affecting its colour by the mood you’re in” he said as if it were the most common thing to happen next to getting a speeding ticket.

“Oh” she said and moved away further from the water.  Almost immediately it turned back to a sparkly blue.

They sat in silence for a while. Gabriel constantly checking his watch and then shaking his head.  Then suddenly the sky seemed to open above them and Shalimar saw a…..horse.  With wings!

“What? You’ve never seen a unicorn before?” Gabriel asked laughing

“Off course I have” Shalimar said failing to tell him that it had only been in story books from when she was a child.

The creature grew nearer.  It was huge, glimmering and magnificent.  On its back was a man who Shalimar assumed to be Chayden.

Although she couldn’t make out his facial features yet he at least seemed a normal height.  With two legs and two arms.  Finally the unicorn gracefully landed and Shalimar stared at its wings.  Feathers, white feathers.

“Happy birthday Shalimar” Chayden said and Shalimar forced her gaze from the unicorn to him.

He had pitch black hair which came down almost to his shoulders. A strong jaw line and the brightest green eyes Shalimar had ever seen.  He walked with confidence his broad shoulders upright.  He wore a jean not quite as tight as Gabriel’s and a white shirt that spun tightly over his muscles

“Who are you?” Shalimar asked her voice shaky.

“I am the realm traveller sent to keep you save and accompany you on your journey” he said and frowned looking at her night dress.

“Oh” she said trying of something to say.

“Is this the way you normally dress?” he asked

“No, these are my… I was asleep and then I woke up here” she said trying to pull down her very short night dress.

“I see “he said

“Can we go now?” Gabriel asked annoyed.

“Thank you Gabriel” Chayden said gesturing towards the unicorn

“Um… will I have to get onto that?” Shalimar asked already knowing the answer.

“Unless you know of some other way?” he asked grinning

Shalimar took a deep breath letting it out slowly.  How was she supposed to get on?  She had never even been on a normal horse before.

It turned its head and looked at her.  Its eyes had a strange effect on Shalimar. They seemed kind and reassuring as if though it could sense her fear and wanted to put her at ease.

“He likes you” Chayden said

“How do you know?”

“A unicorn doesn’t normally acknowledge any living person beneath its rank.  They are superior to us in a way.” he said

“And yet he carries you on his back?” Shalimar asked

The unicorn grunted as if offended.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to offend” Shalimar said

“They only assist us in flight when needed” Chayden said and after getting onto the unicorns back extended her his hand.

“Please don’t let me fall” she whispered to the unicorn before taking Chayden’s hand.

“If you’re afraid of heights you might want to close your eyes” Chayden said and Shalimar quickly closed her eyes.

Closing her eyes didn’t help for the sickening feeling when they took off.  It was like being on rough rollercoaster and an elevator all at once.

She held on tighter to Chayden and prayed desperately for it to end before she passed out.

“Relax, it’s not like you’re going to fall off or anything” Gabriel said behind her.

“Easy for you to say” she thought not loosening her grip on Chayden.

After a while her body started to relax a little and the unicorn slowed down.  Still she didn’t dare open her eyes.

“We’re almost there” Chayden said over his shoulder.

“Where was “there”? She wondered

“You can open your eyes now” Gabriel said.

They had landed.  The unicorn treaded impatiently as if though it had grown tired of the burdens on its back.

They were in a small clearing surrounded by large willow trees.

“Thank you my friend” Chayden said to the unicorn and helped her off.

“Thank you” Shalimar whispered to the unicorn and before it took flight it looked at her again as if to reassure her one last time of her safety.

She watched it as it took off, still unable to grasp its existence.

“I don’t suppose you have them where you come from?”

“We have planes” Shalimar said.

“Planes”

“Um, it’s a mechanical way of air travel” she said

“Certainly sounds easier than charming a unicorn” he said

“I’m sure it is” Shalimar said.

“You must have many questions? I will answer them all as soon as we reach the house.” Chayden said.

They walked for a few minutes until they reached a small face brick house.

“Welcome to my home” Chayden said

“Do you live here alone?” Shalimar asked.

“Yes, Gabriel stays in town “he said shooting Gabriel a “you can go now” look.

“Fine, see you” Gabriel said and disappeared into the woods behind the house.

“Why is he so small?” Shalimar asked

“He’s half dwarf on his father’s side” Chayden said an unlocked the heavy front door.

Inside was an open plan kitchen over flowing with dirty dishes.  A lounge with almost the same amount of dirty dishes and stairs that Shalimar assumed lead to the bedrooms and hopefully a bathroom.  She was dying to take a leak.

“Can I get you something to drink? Chayden asked

“No thanks, can I use the bathroom?” Shalimar asked.

“Sure, it’s upstairs to your right” he said

“Thanks”

“Oh and I picked you up some cloths last week.  I figured you might not have enough time to pack.  It’s in my room, to the left”

“Thanks”

The bathroom was small and consisted out of a shower and a small bathtub. The toilet was squeezed in between the two.  After she had used the bathroom she went into the bedroom and realized that there was only one bedroom.  On the bed lay a few brown paper bags with gold initials on.

Inside she found some jeans.t-shirts and boots.  She blushed when she opened the last bag to find underwear.  How had he known what size of clothes and shoes would fit her, not to mention underwire?

She got dressed as quick as possible and went down stairs again.  Chayden was lying on the couch.

“They fit?”

“Yes, thanks” Shalimar and blushed wondering if he was referring to the underwear or the cloths.

“I saw a few pictures of your mother and I figured you’d be the same size” he said.

“Pictures? Where?” Shalimar asked her heart hammering in her chest.

“Between my dad’s stuff, here I’ll show you” he said pulling a large wooden chest from under the lounge table.

It was filled with old letters and books.  He handed her a smaller chest.  Her hands shook as she opened it.  Inside were pictures of her mother who had raised her and a woman who looked almost exactly like her, except her eyes were dark grey unlike Shalimar’s almost purple eyes.

They seemed happy.  The best of friends…

“You look like her’ Chayden said

“I guess” Shalimar closed the chest and handed it back to Chayden.

“My father was very fond of her” he said

“I’m sure she was nice”

“You must be tired”

“Not really”

‘Hungry?”

“Will I get back home soon?”

“It won’t be easy, it might take a while?”

“How long?”

‘I can’t say, a portal never opens in the same place it only leaves clues to where it might be?”

“How long do you think?”

“I really can’t say”

“How did you know I’d be there, on the beach today?”

“My father left me instructions. He said that you would come on your eighteenth birthday.  Last night a star fell in the direction of the beach.  That was the sign I was waiting for, I guess you can say you were the star” he said and smiled.

“Weird” Shalimar muttered

“What’s weird”

“All of this.  My mom told me to expect fairy tale creatures and I kind of expected dungeons and dragons”

Chayden looked at her with a puzzled look.

“You know, like medieval knights and….Merlyn”

Chayden burst out laughing

“No, Merlyn has been dead for centuries and you won’t be seeing any knights. Do you still have knights were you come from.

“No” only guys like Rowan Shalimar thought to herself.

“I’d like to hear more about your world”

“Believe me after what I’ve seen today, you might find it a bit disappointing” Shalimar said

“You look tired”

“I am, when we can start looking for the um…portal or whatever”

“There might be a storm coming tomorrow,  after that the sky will be clear and we can start looking, it won’t be easy and we need to be careful.  The Gods may have already sensed something and we need to do everything we can to prevent them or your uncle to know of your existence”

“If they do find out,  what do you think will happen?”

“I’d rather not answer that”

“That bad hu?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll do everything I can to keep you safe.”

“Thank you”

“You should get some rest” he said

It was slowly getting darker outside.

“Where do I um sleep?”

“The bedroom”

“And you?”

“On the couch,  don’t worry I hardly ever sleep in the bedroom, normally I just pass out on the couch anyway”

“Ok then, good night and thank you again, for everything”

“Well talk in the morning, when you’re rested.  There are lots to tell and I’m sure you have many questions still”

‘Not really, I just want to get home’ Shalimar thought and smiled weakly.

It wasn’t easy trying to fall asleep in a strange bedroom while constantly wondering what strange things might be roaming around outside or if she would still be in the same place when she woke up.  Trying not to think of Rowan and her mom made her head hurt and finally she gave up.  She fell asleep with the image of his face still fresh in her mind.

She drifted in and out of dreams. Some of them making no sense at all she was caught between two worlds and she prayed that by some miracle she would wake up in her own world. Where her mom would be making breakfast and Rowan  thronging pebbles at her window…



© 2012 Jvonne


Author's Note

Jvonne
I finished Shalimar’s story but I’m still very unsure about chapter 5. Your views and comments are welcome and very much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am not familiar with this type of writing, but
let me see if I can sort it out.
It is filled with symbolism.
A large horse with a phallic symbol on it`s forehead
and kindly eyes.
An other world type, Chayden who, other than being
big and strong seems to have no particular purpose to
the story.
Gabrielle introduces her when she wakes on the beach.
He is a dwarf so not a physical significance.
Her Mother is the only person , behind the scenes, who
is very important and whom she must obey.
I am not connecting Chapter 1 with Chaptger 5.
Perhaps I should come back for more information.
So far I love the story. The writing is above reproach.
It requires editing , but that is of no significance, I could
check it for errors in minutes. I would like to see this
fleshed out. It is sort of dream like and needs
connectivity.
So far, I think it is a classic and I would love to see it in
'book form.
Keep working on this please.
---- John

Posted 11 Years Ago


i've read this in isolation of the other chapters but its very impressive. great flow and self-contined. agree your descriptions are very entertaining. good job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


good job

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the flow of this chapter. I like her thoughts about her clothing and her situation. Good description of people and creatures making the story stronger and more entertaining. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


You shouldn't be unsure about it. It seemed to flow pretty well. Your dialogue was really good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012


Author

Jvonne
Jvonne

South Africa



Writing
Loving You. Loving You.

A Poem by Jvonne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Choke me Choke me

A Poem by Muse