Time Stands Still

Time Stands Still

A Story by G.O.
"

Time is relative, which I hope to have been able to express in the following few lines.

"

They say time is imperceptible. That is not so. One has only to look at the faces of the people all around us to see that time weathers and erodes the strongest faces till they are withered and weak. Makes the proudest of us bend the knee to the touch of its icy fingers. No, time is a very perceptible thing if only one knows where to look.

 

But sometimes, in fleeting nigh illusionary moments, time does seem to take a step back. Moments when it takes a long gander and tips its hat to you. It will fade into the background and remain motionless while the world razes on. For these few moments time stands still.

 

Those rare occasions when you are looking into the deepest parts of another’s soul, the light in their eyes illuminating you during the journey, guiding when you lose your way and encouraging to move along when the abyss becomes too dark to see. 

 

This one moment, this fraction of a second, when a mere millimeter separates your lips, when the air is torn from your lungs and the very beat of your heart seems too loud a noise in the silence. When your eyelids feel gravity pull that much the harder and your head begins to list. That one moment. When the  venture pays off or you are rebuked. Then, time stands still.

 

As long silken strands of moonlight sweep over your skin and sets it ablaze with white flames, pale as snow, as the one you have chosen to give yourself to fully, towering over you. As eyes drink in the sight, fingers gingerly reach out to caress.

When all is risked and more is gained. Then, time stands still.

 

As bullets rip through air and flesh alike, when the person you have stood beside so many times before falls to the ground. As the crimson oozes from ragged, gaping holes to stain the sand, when eyes beg you for help that you shall never be able to give. Then, time stands still.

 

As new evidence is brought before the court, pressing the heavy burden of guilt upon the shoulders of your friend. When all other explanations have failed. When your illusion of their being fades, their mask of sanity cracked. Then, time stands still.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2015 G.O.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on February 14, 2015
Last Updated on February 14, 2015
Tags: Time, stands, still, story

Author

G.O.
G.O.

Groningen, Netherlands



About
I write because written word serves me better than spoken language. Other than that...see for yourself. I use writing as a way to deal with things, so few of them are lighthearted. more..

Writing
Burned Burned

A Story by G.O.


Mockingbirds Mockingbirds

A Poem by G.O.


40 Miles A Day 40 Miles A Day

A Poem by G.O.