The Sacred Wookie Bird

The Sacred Wookie Bird

A Story by KKlinger
"

Elfin fantasy

"

     It was the morning of the Summer Solstice and Mya was feeling uneasy. She knew this would be their last chance to find the sacred Wookie bird before it flies northward to the cliffs of Mahteah. If that happened she would never be able to catch up to it and would have to wait another whole year for its migratory return. It was common knowledge amongst elfin that to the keeper of the Wookie was given the royal crown along with all its power and glory, and Mya was intent on acquiring that crown at any cost. Of course there were others searching, but none had her keen senses for tracking. Nor did they have her knowledge about the bird itself. She knew she was close. She could almost smell the bird. Victory will be mine, she whispered to herself.

     Mya dismounted her dear friend Shivah, a wolf she had once rescued as a pup from freezing to death in the ice. She thought she heard the song of the Wookie and listened intently. Yes! There it was again. It sounded somewhat like a beautiful harp playing up in the tree tops. Mya pulled her own tiny harp from her coat, climbed up into the trees and began to play, hoping to bring the bird closer. Then she saw it, feathered in long puffy plumage of red and gold. It was indeed the Wookie, more beautiful than she had ever imagined. Mya continued playing her harp awaiting just the right moment to spring her plan. And just as the bird came right up to her Mya dropped the harp and grabbed hold of the birds legs pulling it down into a twig and twine cage she had waiting on her lap. Alas! It's mine! She cried out. I am the keeper of the Wookie!

     Mya climbed down out of the tree, jumped onto Shivah’s back and raced toward home. Before long she was entering the village gates. She proudly carried the bird through the center of the village showing it off to everyone she saw. They were all amazed and stopped to listen to her tell her tale about how she tricked the bird and caught it. Mya made her way to the royal quarters followed by all the villagers. She boldly knocked at the door and bent down on one knee holding the cage proudly in front of herself. The door creaked open and a little old elf peeked out.

“What’s all the commotion about?” he asked in a ruff voice.

“I got it sir”, Mya held the cage in front of the old elf’s nose.

“Well, would you look at that, he said. It’s the sacred Wookie bird.”

“Yes, and I caught it”, said Mya

“Ah, so you did, replied the elder elf.”

The elder took the birdcage from Mya’s hand and carried it inside and Mya followed.

“You know Mya, it is not he who finds the bird but it is he whom the bird finds that gets to wear the crown. The sacred Wookie is to find a pure and noble blood worthy to lead our race.”

“But that’s not fair!, Cried Mya. I caught her. I caught her so I should be crowned.”

“Listen to me Mya, one cannot keep a bird in a cage. Birds are meant to fly and be free. Have you ever heard of the saying?

~ If you love something, set it free, and if it comes back, then it is truly yours? ~

The bird knows love. We shall set it free and if it comes back to you Mya, then I will crown you queen of all elfin, OK?”

Mya bit her lip, swallowed her anger and agreed. She knew the elder was right. Birds are meant to be free, not locked up in a cage. The elder elf took the cage to the open window and opened the little cage door. The bird immediately flew out and disappeared into the distance. It did not return to Mya so she walked home next to Shivah. She sat in her room feeling sad, so she pulled out her little harp and started to play a sad song. And would you believe, that Wookie bird heard that sad song and came back to Mya’s window to sing along with her. Mya played for the bird every night and every night the bird returned, and Mya really did become the keeper of the sacred Wookie bird.      

© 2018 KKlinger


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 2, 2018
Last Updated on July 14, 2018
Tags: bird, elf, crown

Author

KKlinger
KKlinger

United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Freelance writer and a self learned drawer. more..

Writing