Stubborn

Stubborn

A Story by K.M. Lucero
"

Allison has just stared high school and already her sister skips out on driving her home. Deciding to take a short cut home she meets a boy and finds out that stubbornness can be bad.

"

1/23/2014

Stubborn

I knew I shouldn’t have followed him into the alley. I knew I should have turned and ran as soon as I saw him. Yeah, I should have done a lot of things differently that day. My stubbornness always gets the best of me and that sunny August fourth day was the day that I paid for it.

Let me take you back an hour before so you can truly appreciate just how I had put myself in this position. I was fifteen years old and a week into my freshman year in high school. Oh my name is Allison by the way. Well, I was waiting for my sister Becky after school by her blue Toyota watching, like the social outcast I am, as kids walked past joking and messing around with their friends. Since we now went to the same school mom made Becky give me a ride now. Something she had never done since she got her license two years ago even when I have to walk ten blocks home in the rain. So you could imagine just how sweet as candy my sister was.

“What do you want lose,” Becky yelled across the parking lot so the entire school could hear. I could already feel the blood rushing to my cheeks as I looked up to see Becky and her friends Claire, Dana, and Flor walking towards me with smiles of pure joy at my torture.

“Whatever,” I mumbled under my breath.

“Really, what do you want,” Becky repeated her question.

I rolled my eyes. She knew exactly what I wanted, a damn ride, and she was just enjoying the pleasure I messing with me.

“Come on, open the door already,” I told her with as little emotion as I could muster. I really couldn’t afford arguing with her. She would just leave me here and I would have to walk him which could take two hours if I was lucky.

“Sorry kid, we’re going to the mall. No room,” Flor said as she tried to push me away from the car door. I grabbed the handle to show her it would be a struggle to get me to leave. I really didn’t want to walk home.

“Ali, just get in the back,” said my sister, obviously knowing I was going to put up a fight.

“Uh, no. I ain’t sitting with her Becky,” whined Dana as I walked towards the rear passenger door. She was the most irritating of all my sister’s friends. My sister just stared at her friend and I could see her mind working as she was trying to think of the best way to get me to walk home. I was anticipating this. I knew it was coming and actually was surprised she had lasted this long.

“Ali, can you walk home just his once,” Becky surprised me by asking. That wasn’t her usual m.o. and I wasn’t buying it.

“Hell no. You know mom will be pissed if I do. I’ll just tell her you left me,” I threatened and crossed my arms to demonstrate my determination.

“Fine. Get in girls,” Becky said with the shrug of her shoulders.

Dana pushed me aside a little to eagerly and I fell over my own legs on hit the ground with a thud. They quickly jumped in the car and had the doors locked before I could get up and reach for the handles. I pounded my fist on the window of the front passenger door glaring at Becky with anger and frustration. She just looked forward and pulled the car into gear leaving me standing in an almost empty parking lot.

“Fucken b***h,” I muttered under my breath. My sister could act like anything but family sometimes.

I reached over and picked up my back pack from the floor and heaving it on my shoulders I set off towards the general direction of home. Track homes generally surround the school for a few miles but there was a semi-large park about a block away that ran along the back of my house. It would cut my two hour walk down to half an hour. The only problem is we are not supposed to use that per my parents instructions.

They have always told us that like fifteen years ago several kids had gone missing while visiting the part. I don’t believe them. It’s also the local junkie spot and a place where older kids go to make out and do things their not supposed to do. So today I am going to use it to save me a little time and probably tell my mom that I did it to. Nothing like a little revenge to get back at my b***h sister.

I smiled, relishing in the thought of coming pleasure I would get out of making my sister pay. Not paying to much attention to my surroundings, something I regret now, I turned down Despero street which would lead me to the entrance to the park. I didn’t see him following me, I couldn’t hear his steps. I actually didn’t realize anyone was around until he placed a hand on my shoulder scaring the crap out of me.

I jumped and turned around on the balls of my feet throwing my hands up in defense. Too many kung fu movies have taught me to fear the worst. That and my mother always reading the news about bad things that happen in the world.

A tall kid probably sixteen or seventeen stood staring down at me with gray eyes that reminded me the crap that came out the vacuum cleaner at home after I hadn’t cleaned in a few weeks. He was wearing baggy blue jeans that had a chain most likely leading from a wallet to his belt clip. His green shirt had the name of a local up and coming rock group that I had been to see and his white zip up hoody laid on the very edge of his shoulders. He had blond hair that was spiked up with red tips and reminded me of one of those spiny balls that fall off the trees at school and land just in the right way that when you step on them you end up losing your footing and twisting an ankle. I hated those things.

“Hey,” was all he said looking down at me with those dirty eyes.

“Hey,” I said trying to play it off like he hadn’t scared me.

“I know your sister Becky from school.’

“Yeah, so?”

“I saw what she did and that ain’t cool.”

“Okay,” I didn’t want his pity and I was still confused as to why he was talking to me.

“So… um… can I walk you home,” he asked looking down at the ground now like he was embarrasses. I wasn’t buying it. There was something fishy about this kid.

“Why?”

“You heading into the park ain’t ya?”

“So what if I was?”

“You really shouldn’t. It’s not safe.”

What the f**k? Who the hell was he to tell me what to do and what isn’t safe?

“I don’t need your help and I can take care of myself,” I tried to hide the anger in my voice but when I am all worked up like this there is just not use. I turned away from him and before I could put distance between us he had a hand on my arm and was spinning me back around to face him. My heart missed a beat as the fear rose from within.

“What the f**k man,” I said pulling my arm free and taking a few steps away ready to run.



© 2014 K.M. Lucero


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quite a story;] Well written and emotional

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
1 Review
Added on January 23, 2014
Last Updated on January 23, 2014
Tags: teen, fight, stubborn

Author

K.M. Lucero
K.M. Lucero

San Diego, CA



About
I am officially working on my first book with the hopes of having it completed and publish in the next year or so. Follow all my writing and book reviews on Facebook! more..

Writing
Captured Captured

A Story by K.M. Lucero