Hotah Legend

Hotah Legend

A Story by Alex P.
"

This is a completely fictional story, and has no historical connection to any tribe along the Mississippi. Just so I don't offend anyone

"

 

Once, long ago, there was a tribe of nomadic people who roamed the lands near the Mackenzie Delta. They told of a phantom wolf, which they called Hotah. The wolf could be seen running swiftly through the mists cast upon the land by the river, and who was known to save the lives of those who fell into the river’s icy clutches.

 

Hotah was once a noble warrior. He was the pride of his tribe, and all the fathers of the village women wanted their daughter as his bride. He was courteous to others, and often won over other tribes when trading.

 

One day, he was off on a hunt with some of his fellow tribesmen, when a high pitched scream filled the usually calm air. Hotah, having been closest to the direction from which it came, called for his hunting mates to fetch help, and then immediately raced off in the direction of the river.

 

Upon reaching the bank, he spotted a beautiful silver wolf caught against one of the river’s rocks. Its fur was matted with its own blood, and it seemed to have fallen unconscious. Without thinking, he dove into the waters, swimming over and gathering the bleeding creature into his arms. He told it how he would get it to safety, how it would be all right, in such a deep, soothing voice that it had no choice but to believe him.

 

The tribesmen had come back, and reached the banks just as Hotah placed the wolf upon the bank. Still in the water, he told them to tend to her wounds. It was at this moment when a log had broken free, and careened down the river, colliding with Hotah. He cried out in pain, and in that frenzied moment, let go of the bank.

 

This is what the wolf awoke to. Her hero was being dragged downstream. With a yelp, which in her language translated into his name, she rose and tore off after him, however her injuries hindered her, and all she could do was watch as he was carried away.

 
 

Knowing he could never be rescued, the she-wolf sat upon her haunches and sent a mournful prayer to the Gods, begging them for Hotah to be saved, as he had saved her. For she believed a creature of such valour should never have to suffer as he was now. The Gods, who favoured both the wolf and Hotah, listened to her prayer. They decided that she was right, that Hotah should not have to die, but live eternally for his actions.

 

A dense fog surrounded Hotah, who was becoming colder by the minute. He was visited by the spirit of the wolf who saved him, for her body had become too weak to sustain it. She told him how the Gods decided to save him; however, they had a condition which first needed to be met. She explained to Hotah how he needed to agree to come and go with the fogs of the Mackenzie and how he was to save those who showed the spirit that he did. Of course, Hotah agreed, and the wolf smiled at him.

 

They merged as one, and the fog stole Hotah away before the glacial waters stilled his heart. And until this day, during every fog along the Mackenzie River, The ghostly form of Hotah can be seen, saving those who have fallen, and mournfully howling his prayers to those of whom he could not.

© 2010 Alex P.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on February 22, 2008
Last Updated on January 4, 2010

Author

Alex P.
Alex P.

AB, Canada



About
Amateur Herbalist | Feminist | Social and Environmental Justice Activist | Entrepreneur --- The content of this profile and all other associated content are hereby strictly prohibited from disclosur.. more..

Writing
Mindful Mindful

A Poem by Alex P.


Night Night

A Poem by Alex P.





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5