Late sixties - 2

Late sixties - 2

A Chapter by KSKhoury
"

Memoirs of a five year old girl in the sixties, Beirut

"
- Hurry up, it's time for auto car ! Mrs H prompted C.  She had enrolled her child in a school in the part of Beirut where a hilly road led to a theater where they practiced the Nativity scene one day.  
C. got up, supervised by Mrs H, wore her uniform, with Mrs H's help, and combed her thick long hair mostly with the help of Mrs H.
- Ouch! she complained as the comb separated her tangled hairs after a nine hour sleep.
She always found it hard to get up in the mornings, at 6 o'clock, as the bus would pick her up at 6:30, go around different parts of West Beirut, picking up other toddlers and preschoolers, to finally dock at 'Ecole Universelle Libanaise' directed by Mme Jambart, a petite Lebanese forty year old woman who was probably a single mother but well placed as the chief educator in this newly founded establishment.  She had experience and drive, the way she carried herself, and read the attendance roster, every school day, with kids answering 'Present(e) !'   
Mme Jambart looked like a female version of David Suchet of Hercule Poirot fame.  She also had a daughter who taught at the school but did not teach C.  A rather authoritative figure, she would still survive the civil war, and go on to meet her kids who were by the second millennium , eighth year, grown up and married, motivated enough to put their reunion pictures on the internet, awing and amazing hundreds of previous students.  


© 2012 KSKhoury


Author's Note

KSKhoury
Is this interesting ?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on October 12, 2012
Last Updated on October 12, 2012
Tags: Beirut, sixties, girl, spunky, life, verdun, feiruz, sabah, horseshoe, reed shoe, four steps down, hamra, ecole universelle, lebanon, beiruti


Author

KSKhoury
KSKhoury

Alexandria, VA



Writing
Late sixties - 1 Late sixties - 1

A Chapter by KSKhoury


Late sixties - 3 Late sixties - 3

A Chapter by KSKhoury


Late 60's Late 60's

A Book by KSKhoury