The Sum of Your Own History

The Sum of Your Own History

A Poem by KWP



To walk backwards, 

in your shoes, 

traverse the path filled with shadow and death. 


To look backwards 

into your world, 

feel the pain, the angst and fury captured in every breath. 


To feel backwards,

into your life, 

stumble through lack of love and tenderness.


To fall backwards, 

into your past,

mistreatment of person, taught indifference and mercilessness.


To squint backwards, 

into your linage, 

I witness intolerance and fear and hate.


To reach backwards, 

to where it all began,

I unearth a seed of misunderstanding deeming fate. 


To move forward,

and start anew, 

absolving yourself of all that’s come before. 


To move forward, 

I understand you

are not the sum of old unopened doors.

© 2017 KWP


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great poem! Normally I don't like a lot of repetition, but you've done it well, the way you slightly tweak each first line to create a little different view. I love the changing verbs you use in each first line, nicely dynamic & interesting. I also love that you end your poem with two stanzas on a positive note. I completely understand the overall meaning of taking in a person as the sum of what they've been thru. As Maya Angelou wrote: "I wouldn't take nothing for my journey now" (one of my favorites, being a child of abuse). Love your poem! (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


Moving so much through life I think.. seeing what's gone but left a specific mark inside you, in heart, mind. 'Wondering if you're mulling over events, actions perhaps regretted or refuted in some way.

Must read again... You use the word fate.. perhaps.. perhaps meaning life was pre.destined or the results of past are with you now? Think perhaps i should read this when fully awake because it twists and turns, E., and presents different thoughts as i move back and forth.

As ever, however i interpret your words, i know the language is fired with inspired thoughts from your extraordinary imagination.. and mind.

Posted 6 Years Ago


KWP

6 Years Ago

I am trying to depict that we are the make of what has become before us, culture, history, lineage e.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Now that i understand and agree with.. we have what we've inherited but.. can use present day instin.. read more
i guess you are going over a life and the feelings it portrays,,interesting

Posted 6 Years Ago


ITS UNIQUE THATS FOR SURE , BUT IN A GOOD WAY AND I can understand more then anything this twist of words it has deep meaning thats for sure !

Posted 6 Years Ago


It's got a good hook... very easy to read,even though the topic does not seem so pleasant.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The opening lines are pure class. I like the tone of this, after all, we all are the sum of our memories, actions, history. Lovely done :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

KWP

6 Years Ago

Cheers Lovely one - you got it in one - I was also trying to convey that forgiveness is not so hard .. read more
Ana B.

6 Years Ago

Wise words :)
ohh Elizabeth .. i like this a lot ...the switch to looking forward is fine timing ..and like taking a saving breath after a suffocation .. this seems an extension of your poem that ended in searching for the seed ;) the cadence is strong ..reads easily ..repetition works ..especially using the contrast in closing .. you constructed and restructured nicely ;)) i am almost finished my week 3 ..i read yours but had not yet read the "assignment " yet so did not comment ..i intend to re-visit and note this same strong meter :) love ya!
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

KWP

6 Years Ago

Hey you :D

This trait for the poem was forgivness. I was trying to convey that numbe.. read more
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

and all that comes across ... and i could not agree more about forgiveness ...and before that unders.. read more
Super poem. I guess all we can do is keep moving forward and open as many doors as we can and make peace with the past, as best as we can.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

we often regret unopened doors, or going through those that were open...and it seems we remember the mistakes more than the good choices...

but as your poem says, the key is absolving ourselves of the past, forgiving what we had no control over, or maybe did...but we have to move on---as poets we write about the past...and the darkness...maybe that is a step...
j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

KWP

6 Years Ago

thanks Jacob your words ring true X

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2017
Last Updated on August 5, 2017

Author

KWP
KWP

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
'The kernel, the soul — let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances — is plagiarism. For substantially all ideas are sec.. more..

Writing
Lisa & Kal Lisa & Kal

A Poem by KWP



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Allow Me Allow Me

A Poem by KWP