At Sunset

At Sunset

A Story by JaenelleEvans
"

A short piece of practicing my descriptive writing style while in a bad mood. Hope you like it.

"

The sun sank just below the horizon, dragged by an invisible creature tearing him from behind. The last of his light bled across the edges of the horizon, staining the blackened sky. There I sat, bathing in the warmth that still ebbed from it last dying embers. In its wake the moon rose; proudly taking her place in the sky high above and one by one the stars turned on in her presence, no longer hiding in fear from the sun rays.

They danced around her in joy, spinning across the darkened sky, weaving in and out of the tapestry strewn high above our world. There I sat, phone in hand, the chill of the air scraping across the bare skin of my arms, but I didn’t tremble. The moon glowed brighter, lighting up the whole world, a different world than that of the sun. The trees began to whisper their secrets, their voices calling through the night.

Within the dark voices answered. The rustling of leaves was greeted by creatures the moon had woken. The calls of creatures from near and far echoed through the thick night air. There I sat, fingers clenched around my silent phone, goose bumps covering my skin, in total silence. The moon watched on at the beauty that only she could bring, smiling down on all that came to worship her.

The night was buzzing with song and dance, music and movement, melody and life. There I sat, silent and still, staring at my phone as time ticked by. The moon slowly faded, refusing to fall as the sun once again began to rise. The sky turned to blue and the creatures switched places as the warmth from the sun woke the world of the day.

This would all happen again and again, the sun; he will fall, the moon; she will rise and there I’ll sit waiting, night after night, hoping my Father will remember to call ‘At sunset’ he said, what a laugh.  

© 2013 JaenelleEvans


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on April 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 18, 2013
Tags: Sunset, waiting, phone call, moon, forest, sunrise, father, dad, disappointment

Author

JaenelleEvans
JaenelleEvans

Canberra, Australian capital territory, Australia



Writing
Rain Rain

A Poem by JaenelleEvans