The kindred spirit i will forever miss

The kindred spirit i will forever miss

A Story by Mandi D K
"

I wrote this one night about the friend that passed away two months today. I had to write out what i was feeling and this is the product of it.

"

 

Krystal Cherie Lee Black 7/1/1988 – 3/5/2008
 
From the moment I met you I knew that I would be friends with for a very long time. There was something about that bubbly smile and blonde locks that could draw anyone in. We chatted away like we had been friends for years, or even in a past life. Maybe we were. Maybe you were a beautiful princess who was worshipped and I was your hand maiden and confidant. You had to be, you were always the one was smiling and prancing around, I was the one who trailed behind you. There are so many things that made our friendship at the begging fun. The yabbie catching in year one. We both ended up with a yabbie each and yours ended up dying while mine lived, but while we caught them we were ecstatic laughing and splashing water at each other, I most probably would have fell down into the water while trying to get a yabbie and you would have been on the banks enjoying the fact that you were dry. I remember the time when we were in your room and we were playing with play dough, you should me with great excited the funny little noodles you could make when you squished into the squisher thing. I was captivated just as you were. What great times. And when it was time for Peter and Bronson to go to Kindy, both at different times, we enjoyed the fates they had on every year without fail. You were always addicted to face painting, something that eventually rubbed off on me. Like one time at one of the fates, it was so damn hot and we were just walking through the kindy admiring everything, asking for a gazillion things we knew our parents would say no to, we found the lady who did face painting and you jumped at the chance to get something done. You rushed to get something done and of course our mum’s wouldn’t let us get it done if our brothers didn’t get anything, luckily they did. You were a tiger that time, a tiger in a little blue dress with blonde hair. You pranced around like you were all full of confidence and poise, something you had from an early age, something you continued to have.
You had such an angelic face, if only people knew just how cheeky you were. Remember that time when you refused to take a bath? Man I remember that, you blamed it on your mum and said she wouldn’t let you put water on your toothpaste when you brushed your teeth. Such a small and innocent girl lying! When we found out that our birthdays were so close to each other, yours being on the 7th of January and mine being on the 8th, we were ecstatic, we already acted like sisters and this in a way made is seem a little more real. When we told our mum’s, and they already knew, the pair of them being gossip queens already, we asked them what we were born, and we found out that we were just 12 hours apart. We were pretty much inseparable. In every smiling photo your arm is wrapped around my shoulders like I was the only person that mattered to you, well after your brother and your Mum. We always had these stupid grins on our faces and didn’t have a single care in the world.
Then there was the huge Uno addiction, the one where you guys would come over and we’d bring out the Uno no matter what and play round after round trying to outsmart the other and see who was the better player. And that time you came over with the tape of your time at the Investigator Science Centre. You were so into all the illusions and as we laughed and played out Uno game in front of the heater our cheeks flushed with the joy of being a kid.
It was so sad when you moved from being a few streets away from me to being more than half an hour away, but there was never one moment where I forgot about you. We kept in touch, you always coming down with Marina and Bronson because mum never had the car and was way too insecure to drive up, or plainly dad was working late and your mum would come over to keep my mum company.
            Slowly as we grew up we lost touch ourselves, but your mum never failed to send a birthday card each year, a Christmas card or a letter telling us all about your life. In Year 8 we finally got the chance to see each other again. You had grown up, entering the beginning stages of womanhood and your beautiful blonde locks were bright pink! That was a bit of a shock, mum thought it was a rebellion phase but I knew better, after I asked of course. You were always the one who would go through with dares no matter what. You were a role model to me, the way you interacted and loved Bronson made me strive to do the same with Peter and although me and Pete get into small fights, I always go back to the way you and Bronson were.
            Then from Christies beach you moved to Morphett Vale and you could just tell how much happier your mum was when we met up and stuffed our faces at Hungry Jacks admiring the cars opposite it and laughing till our tummy’s hurt.
            Then we lost contact, your mum still sending out those beautiful Christmas and birthday cards. It warmed my heart to know that we weren’t forgotten. It wasn’t until last year I had a random thought to try and find Bronson on Myspace, I found him and instantly found yours. I was in awe, so damn happy to have found you again, I added you to my msn and it was a while before I talked to you but when I did it was like nothing much had changed. I waited and noticed you had a free week, I pounced on you and invited you over for lunch, sushi and vodka cocktails. Just the kind of afternoon we needed to catch up. You were in awe that I could cook, and make sushi as well as I could. You took photos and rattled on about Rhys showing off your beautiful engagement ring. You hadn’t changed one bit. We sat down and you showed me pictures of your life, parts that I fallen out of touch with. You were your mothers daughter, taking so many pictures. It was great to see. Then I conned you into watching High School Musical with me, you admitted to never seeing it and I was outraged. No, not really, but you sat there and watched it with me, we ploughed through the first one and got half way through the second one before you had to go. It was a day where we reconnected and promised not to be strangers anymore, already looking forward to the next time we would meet up.
            The night we got the call, it was horrible. I was doing some kind of uni work and Dad came into the doorway of my room telling me that you had died. I nearly laughed. How could he say something like that? I had seen you two months earlier full of laughter and happiness. I walked into the kitchen and saw mum and lost it. I knew looking at her face that you were gone. The tears that came were breathing taking and made me sick. The next few days were terribly, the worst moments in my life. How could someone so precious get taken so coldly? There was no answer, only that you were taken because you had a higher purpose. One that needed all of your attention. It was still too surreal, it still is now. Your funeral it was something you would have liked. Everyone you loved spoke, and your mum wrote the most beautiful story about your life. I never knew Marina had such a way with words, Bronson was so brave too. It was beautiful. A celebration of your life, that’s what it was. A freaking good one at that. So now that you are gone my beautiful friend, I will forever treasure the love, joy and happiness your brought my life, and I know that you will always be with me.
Krystal, I love you.

© 2008 Mandi D K


Author's Note

Mandi D K
The person i regret falling out of touch with. I will forever miss her. There isn't really any need to write something. I just had to get this out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you so much fot the review.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow! this was both sad and uplifting, due to the fact that you two had so much fun together in life..it really reminds the reader that no one is immortal and that we all can dia at any moment and not to take life and those we love for granted....Thanks for the powerful reminder...=)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 3, 2008

Author

Mandi D K
Mandi D K

Melbourne, Australia



About
I'm a 25 year old writing lover living in the beautiful city of Melbourne. Currently I'm undertaking my second degree and in my last year of the amazing course. I love running, healthy foods, D&M's an.. more..

Writing
Love Hurts Love Hurts

A Story by Mandi D K