Swing Set

Swing Set

A Poem by Luna Northstar
"

I'm moving, and I have to leave my swing set behind. So much is going on.. I feel like I can't part with something that has always been so close to me.

"
Swing Set, shiny and fun
Strong ropes, and seats, the color of sun

What a beauty to a child's eyes
What a glorious surprise

You were my best friend
Until the very end.

On days of sorrow I'd sit and cry
Your creaky ropes were my lullaby

Your loud noise blocked out all the sound
And that sadness that chose me to surrounded.

Upon you I could be anywhere
Flying through the sky, or on a dragon treading through air.

Your loud squeaking hid my cries
When the world was what I did despise.

I whispered my secrets into you
You were who I would go to

When my world felt like it was coming apart
You were there from the start

Years passed, and you took your wear
Ropes, now as thin as hair

Your yellow seats and bright white rope,
The ones that kept alive my hope,

Had now been covered with dirt and grime
They had been cruelly touched by time.

Today I sat upon you seat again
Like I did, every now and then

You held me, like you always did
And you hid my cries, like I was a kid

Your soft and gentle moan
Reminded me that this was my home

I could go anywhere, or do anything
As long as I was on my swing

As my feet scuffed the dirt
My heart painfully hurt

For the awful truth that I knew
I could not bear to share with you

Swing Set; dirty and done
Weak ropes and seats, no longer the color of sun

What a beauty to my tear stung eyes
Even when I leave, in my heart, you'll always lie.

© 2010 Luna Northstar


Author's Note

Luna Northstar

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

When I first read without the song, it sounded like something I would sing as I swung on my old swingset back at my old house. Moving can be hard, but it opens up new doors to new experience and new relationships. Embracing change can be the best thing to do in some cases.
I'm seriously thinking of memorizing this and singing it the next time I sit on a swing :)
I'm adding this to my favorites. This was a beautiful piece; very nice work. You're a talented writer, Miharu.

_Cloud

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a great way to express a childhood passtime.

Everyone has that one sentimental childhood item that got them through tough times. I, myself (DONT LAUGH) have a blanket that I still keep with me everywhere I go. In fact, as I write this review, I have it draped over my shoulders. This piece brings back so many memories of wanting to run away and just hide out. Swings are a great example of something you do to drown out the noise and worry of everyday life. A great metaphor with beautiful imagery and a strong message. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a very sad, but beautiful poem. I really enjoyed it a long because I go on the swing all of the time. I did go on to hide everything like you said in this poem. All of the pain that I was feeling would suddenly go away. I felt like I was on top of the world when I was swinging. I would always be happy. Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very lovely poem! I enjoyed every moment!

Posted 13 Years Ago


When I first read without the song, it sounded like something I would sing as I swung on my old swingset back at my old house. Moving can be hard, but it opens up new doors to new experience and new relationships. Embracing change can be the best thing to do in some cases.
I'm seriously thinking of memorizing this and singing it the next time I sit on a swing :)
I'm adding this to my favorites. This was a beautiful piece; very nice work. You're a talented writer, Miharu.

_Cloud

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really loved this poem! Great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a breathtaking poem. The uses of rhyming couplets is simple and precise. Nice one.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This made me cry, along with the music. Very powerful and emotional words. I noticed maybe 2 spelling errors, but that doesn't really matter. I loved every word of this. You are a wonderful poet! :)

I reate thee 100!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

606 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on August 20, 2010
Last Updated on August 22, 2010

Author

Luna Northstar
Luna Northstar

About
I go by the name Luna Northstar and take my writing very seriously. I've grown out of my teenage angst poetry writing phase and I'm focusing on my novel "It's Alice", though I tend to write a few shor.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..