Amberly Torden-Descendant of Thor...Reaches Puberty

Amberly Torden-Descendant of Thor...Reaches Puberty

A Story by Karl Herzog
"

A redhead girl turns thirteen and reaches puberty but that's not all. She discovers she is the descendant of a Norse God and inhertis his powers.

"

Story 1 �" the Coming…of Puberty

“yaaaaawn…errr..yaaaaaaay!”


The now thirteen-year-old, red haired girl yawned then cheered as she jumped out of her warm bed and gave a mighty stretch.  Exposing her flat belly through her red and blue checkered flannelette pajama’s.  Turning back towards her bed, Amberly Torden leaned over it to the window that ran beside her bed, threw open the heavy, crimson curtains to reveal the morning sun shining through the snow tipped conifers that bordered the yard.


“It’s a beautiful day.”


She whispered to herself as the winter sun started melting the patches of snow of her front yard.  Amber had to get ready for school, but it was her thirteenth birthday on a Friday, the last day of school for the week, the year and forever!  Well…until she starts High School next year.  Amber hated school and she felt the end of primary school meant a new beginning for something better.  Though she was going to a boarding school on the other side of town, Amber managed to look at the bright side of it. 


‘High School’s going to be an adventure, like on TV such as Saved by the Bell and all that.  Also, it’ a boarding school so it’ll be more like Harry Potter!’


Amber went to the toilet, sat down to pee but noticed something strange.

It felt weird and unnatural.  She got up, not flushing or even washing her hands.  Running out the toilet, down the hallway into the dining room where she knew her parents would be up and having breakfast.  Simultaneously as she opened the door she yelled.


‘SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH ME…!!”


Her mum and Dad were singing as soon as the door opened.


“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU…!”

“I’VE GOT HAIR GROWING…DOWN THERE!”


Her parents sang until it suddenly hit them.


“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR….what?”


Her Dad’s jaw dropped but her mum broke the awkward silence.


“Well you are thirteen now, it’s time we had THE talk.  Otis, could you put the coffee on please dear?”


Ella, Amberly’s mother referred to her dad with his full name whenever they were about to have a serious talk.  Otis retreated to the kitchen and spoke nervously in his Scandinavian accent.


“Yes, better put the coffee on.  I think we’ll need something strong, so I’ll make it black…like my hair used to be!  Hee-hee….”


Nervously chuckling, he tinkered in the kitchen with the coffee pot.

The mother sat Amber by the dinner table, already it had birthday presents gathered around with an old wooden chest in the middle.  It looked to Amber like a Pirate’s treasure chest.  Forgetting her condition for a moment, Amberly nervously point at the wooden box and asked with a quivering voice.


“What’s that?”


Ella ignored her question as she rotated her chair, facing Amber.


 “Amber….honey, you’re thirteen and going through the change.  It’s called puberty, it’s when your body starts changing from a child and slowly turning into an adult…”


Ella became lost for words, Otis walked in with three mugs of coffee he put on the table and sat on the other side of the table, he pushed a big white mug with a cartoon bear on it towards the birthday girl.


“I declare you old enough to drink coffee now!’


Otis continued from where Ella left off as Amber reluctantly picked up the mug and sipped the steaming black liquid.


“But that’s not all.  Our ancestors are from a long and ancient line back to Norway…”


Her dad stopped talking and leaned back in his chair rubbing his face.  Amber saw him do this when he was lost for words.  Ella took over, leaning towards Amber.


“You’re a descendant of a God…Thor.”


Ambers started laughing.


“What!?”

“A lot of people don’t know this, but the Gods of Teutonic mythology were real, they were humans that walked the Earth.  People worshipped and deified them because they had special abilities that helped them survive against great adversity.”


Ella was a walking encyclopedia.  Her dad was smart too but afraid of being arrogant.  But he spoke up again.


“The stories of Thor and Odin slaying frost giants is a metaphor for humanities struggle against nature.  Frost Giants being the struggle against harsh conditions such as ice and snow.”


He sipped coffee as Ella took her turn.


“Thor was a God of strength and in every generation a descendant will inherit his strength, abilities and apparently…it’s you.”


This was more of a shock then reaching puberty.


“But…but….I’m just a girl.”


She said in the last childish voice she’ll ever speak in.  Otis’s eyes opened wide and he spoke up with fiery passion.


“No!  You are not JUST A GIRL.  You are Amberly Torden!”


He pointed a stern finger at her.


“Don’t ever let anyone judge you for what you are.  It is WHO you are and WHAT you do that is important.”


Ella reached in front of Otis and pulled across the wooden chest as if it had something heavy inside.


“As part of your inheritance, you get these family heirlooms.”


Amber opened the brown wooden box and her face lit up with the reflection of a golden-metallic object.


“…wow!”


Amber gasped.  Though it wasn’t much to look at, a crudely carved wooden shaft with a chunk of gold.


“Yep….that’s… Thor’s hammer, Mjolnir.”


Amber wasn’t impressed and her dad spoke up.


“You got to remember the stories of Freya, Frigg, Odin and Thor are from ancient times.  The technology in their day was very…basic.  It’s not going to be elaborate like in Fantasy films.  It’s a chunk of gold shaped into a rectangle and attached to a wooden shaft….that’s it.  Just like  mallet….only gold and shiny.”


But Amber wasn’t listening.  She pulled out the hammer and a soon as she touched the shaft the hammer head started to glow, but Amber wasn’t ready for that, pubic hairs was enough for the day.  She gently placed it on the table then picked up a brown leather belt that looked like the type of belt a boxer gets when they win a match.


“Coooooool!”


Straight away she put it around her waist, adjusted the two straps.  The large Nordic leather belt had gold plates that the belt straps ran through, the edge of the belt had a Nordic know pattern decorating it.  Looking in the box she found two leather wrist guards.  The edges were decorated with thin straps of leather wrapped around.  Narrow gold plates ran along the wrist guards.  The parents were staring at each other, taken back by how well Amber was taking in the news.


“Um…happy birthday?”


Otis said.  Amber got carried away with excitement, throwing the items back into the box she grabbed it like it weighed nothing and ran to her room yelling.


“Thanks Mum, thanks Dad!”


In her room she excitedly put on the gauntlets only to be disappointed they were very loose on her narrow wrists.


‘Of course, these were made for a muscular-Norse God not a skinny thirteen-year-old.’


She thought as she adjusted the leather laces and tightened the wrist guards.  They were still a bit loose. 


 

After that she put on the belt then picked up the hammer.


‘I’m going to have some fun with this! But not now today….’


Amber put the hammer back into the box and placed it in her closet.  She wasn’t going to carry it around all day.  But she could wear the belt and wrist guards.  She pulled her red jumper over the belt and then put on her red hooded double breast coat.  Her winter clothes covered up the belt and gauntlets well.  Amber didn’t care what people would think but she didn’t like negative attention either.  She could ignore people but the kids at school were too ‘in-your-face.’

 

Last day of primary school and her thirteenth birthday.  Amber was looking forward to this day a long time, but the other kids ruined it for her.  They were bullying her more so than usual.  But Amber was determined not to let them ruin her day.  So, at lunch time she sneaked away from the oval.  Anyone would think that Amberly Torden stood out from the rest and that’s why she was bullied BUT apart from being slandered no one noticed her not even the teachers.  It was a sad, but Amber realized she could get away with things.  And one of those things was wagging school.  Walking eastwards away from the noisy oval it was exciting.


‘All those years enduring the anxiety of school when I could’ve wagged.'


As she was clear of the school Amber unbuttoned her jacket and pulled up her jumper, undoing the belt a bit and pulling it up over the jumper.

Amber felt great, she was excited and ready to test the powers of her inheritance.  Thinking of where to test her strength, Amber walked towards the pine forest, her favorite place.  Crossing the road that led from the quiet suburbs to the edge of the forest she thought about pushing a tree but that seemed reckless so she kept walking off the road and onto the footpath leading through the forest, she saw an already dead tree.  It was a massive pine tree, already leaning over.

 

‘Yeah it’s dead but it’s still gotta’ be heavy.’


Amber walked off the footpath heading straight up to a tree that was already falling over.  She started gently pushing the tree.  It was heavy, it creaked.  When Amber put a bit more effort into it, she noticed it splitting away from the half-decapitated stump.  She stopped with amazement and then with one heave she lifted and pushed the trunk.  The massive creak and splitting of wood as she felt the weight, it was heavy but not as heavy as it should be.

 

After a while of lifting logs and smashing rocks Amber remembered.


‘Lunch time should be finished, and it will nearly be end of school.  I better make it back!’


She turned towards the edge of the forest where she could see the footpath and head quickly towards it.

Walking out of the forest, across the bridge into the edge of the suburbs Amber was contemplating on what she could do with her strength.


‘It’s been fun, but I could be a superhero.’


Walking past a house with a tall conifer, Amber saw an old lady looking up a tree trying to tempt a cat down.


‘This is awkward and cliché, but I’ll give it a go.’


Amber walked up to the old lady and offered to help but she was reluctant to get a young girl to climb her tree and rescue her cat.  Before the lady could say anything, Amber ran up to the tree, jumped up grabbing a branch and swung her body up into the tree climbing like a monkey all the way up to where the cat was.  The old lady was fretting as the tree shook.  Amber took off her coat and carefully grabbed a protesting cat and wrapped it inside the jacket.  With the cat snug and secure Amber managed to start climbing down but not before she noticed an old man on a mobiliser stuck in the middle of the road.  He was frantically trying to get his rider moving again.  In the distance to the right Amber could see a white minibus approaching.


“…that’s not good.”


She thought to herself.

Quickly climbing down, Amber unwrapped the cat from her coat and gave it back to the old lady.  Amber ran across the road while putting on her coat.  Without hesitation she picked up the mobiliser with the old man in it.


“Hold on.”


She said as the man squirmed a bit and confused as to how a child could pick him up in his mobiliser.  Amber struggled with the gravity and size of the object, but she could do it.  She walked very quickly putting the man down on the other side of the road.  He just gawked at her, lost for words as Amber stood panting, super strength aside it was still hard work.  She saw the white mini-bus speed down the hill.


“That bus is going waaaay to fast, especially when there’s still frost on the road.”


Sure, enough the buss turned at the T-junction at the bottom of the road, turning right to go over a bridge it skidded sideways and crashed through the edge of the bridge and hanged halfway off.  Kids inside were screaming.  The bridge went over a stream that led throughout the suburb to the pine forest.  It was one of the things Amber liked about her hometown.  But the water was freezing and if the bus were to fall the kids would either drown or freeze.  The old man fiddled through his brown padded coat to get his mobile phone as Amber raced off to the minibus.  She ran up behind the back, grabbed the bumper and dug her heels into the road.


“Here goes nothing.”


Heels dug in she stood feet shoulder width apart, bent her knees, breathed in and pulled.  With a mighty groan she managed to roll the minibus back onto the road.  The kids inside were quiet with disbelief for a moment and then cheered.  Amber stood up straight breathing a sigh of relief.  Her enormous strength had given her a surge in confidence, on top of that helping people felt good.  Throughout her life she had always been lazy and done what she wanted.  But now Amber wanted to help others and with her powers she could do more than rescue Cats from trees.


"S**T!”


She exclaimed.


‘I gotta’ go back to school.’


Anxious to go back for the final victory moment, the end of school.  Amber ran back to school, her red coat flapping n the cold wind as she ran through the suburb into the direction of her primary school.  Running, then stopping to get her bearings, jogging, then walking through the winding footpath of the abandoned suburb, overly decorated for Christmas.  She saw the edge of the school oval with its tall black fence and surrounding hedge.  She jumped over the hedge and almost the fence which she crash landed on top of.  Gripping it she quickly flipped herself over the top and did a super-hero landing on the cold grassy ground, a magnificent leap but no one noticed because the horn had blared, and they were all walking back to class.


“Awwwww!”


Panting on the spot, she leaned over, and disappointed that she still had half a day of school left.


THE END

© 2020 Karl Herzog


Author's Note

Karl Herzog
This is the 1st in a series of stories I plan on writing. I thought the idea of Thor as a teenage girl in modern times amusing. The following stories will be based on the stories of Thor but adjusted to suit modern times.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

11 Views
Added on February 20, 2020
Last Updated on February 20, 2020