My Grandmother, The Supermodel

My Grandmother, The Supermodel

A Story by Katherine Rachel

She sits in a chair, not a rocking chair - “I’ll die before I rock!” she jokes. She’s tiny, as thin as she was in her prime, wiry. Her face " amazing cheekbones " has the scars of makeup allergies, and wrinkles. She looks old, but as if she doesn’t know she’s old; as if she merely hasn’t noticed the years that have slowly crept up on her and left memories on her skin.

She has " reluctantly " conformed to “Granny” clothes, pastel colours, cardigans, long skirts, and she wears them with a slightly indignant air. Look, her posture says, If you must know (and you really must) I have Chanel and Prada in my wardrobe. This is a one-off. This doesn’t mean anything.

Her eyes are bright and intelligent, the shrewd gaze of a businesswoman. In her day, fashion was a business, the model was expected to be more than a body.

She sketches with a tight, slightly arthritic hand. She always (and probably still does) dreamt of being a fashion designer. It’s bittersweet how her designs haven’t aged with her - the heels still high, the hemline still short or with flowing trains, bright, bold colours. In her faded, clawed hand, these designs are a gentle reminder of the girl she has left behind in body but not spirit.

As I approach, she waves a sheet at me. “My Autumn/Winter collection!” she says merrily, but there’s an edge to it. It’s April now. I know, and she knows, that she may not see Autumn.

But I smile and inspect the designs. They’re shoes, in brilliant jewel colours, reds and oranges mainly, with eye-watering heels.

“What do you think?” There’s a glint in her eye. I must be careful.

I smile. “Eloise,” (never ‘Grandmother’) “They’re beautiful. I wouldn’t wear them myself, but-“

She tuts. “Stephanie, my darling, you’re so uncertain about clothes I’m surprised you wear any at all.”

I pretend to pout. This is a game between us. “I’m not uncertain, I’m refined.”

She laughs and carries on drawing. I sit on the porch at her feet.

I don’t know how long I sat there, just watching the world go by and her sketching, but I glance up at her again and she is asleep. She looks younger in sleep, all her years taking pity on her in her helplessness and slinking away, leaving a woman I am less familiar with.

I leave her, in the chair on the porch, hating how ordinary, how everyday she looks.

When I am at the garden gate I turn back to her and she’s awake, sat up straight and drawing like nothing happened.

I smile at her and she gives me a regal nod and a youthful, mischievous grin. There she is. My grandmother, the supermodel. 

© 2012 Katherine Rachel


Author's Note

Katherine Rachel
So... what do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
Added on June 28, 2012
Last Updated on June 29, 2012
Tags: fashion, grandmother, granny, old, young, youth, age, shoes

Author

Katherine Rachel
Katherine Rachel

Narnia (C'mon, where's your sense of humour?), The Wardrobe, United Kingdom



About
Hi I'm Katie, and 13, and British, and...yeah. I mainly do short-ish stories, I'm trying to build up the stamina and attention span to write longer ones. I'm not very interesting. I can be summe.. more..

Writing