Love At The End

Love At The End

A Story by Kathrin S
"

She must take the final step on her journey - will he be able to understand?

"

"You're going to get through this. I'm here, remember? I still need you, Sarah, you know that. You can't leave me."

 

Can't.

 

The word slices through my battered heart, making me catch my breath. How I wish I could oblige him.

 

"I'm sorry, Mike." My bloodless lips barely move.

 

"No. No, don't be sorry." His voice rises an octave. "You can't be sorry, Sarah. Not now."

 

I close my eyes.

 

"Not now, Sarah. Not ... not yet." His voice is only a whisper. I strain to crack open my eyes. Tears are streaming down his face. He's become thinner in the past months, just like me. But he still has his mop of brown hair. He's not the one lying in the hospital bed. For the millionth time, I thank God.

 

I close my dry eyes again. It's been weeks since I've cried. I seem to have lost that ability, as well. One of Mike's warm strong hands grips mine, while I can feel the other caress my emaciated face.

 

"It's ... time ..."

 

"No, Sarah, no. You can't. Can't!" I twitch at his loud tone. Through the fog that is starting to settle in my brain, I register the sharp pain of his words.

 

"Mike ... please ..."

 

"Don't speak. It's too much effort. Just rest. Rest, and tomorrow you'll feel better."

 

He sounds so sure, so convinced. And yet I know I must go. Tonight. He must let me go. Please, let me go! I want to scream, but ... can't.

 

Faintly, I hear Mike's cries. I can feel myself slipping away, slowly leaving this broken body behind forever. But no - not yet. Not quite.

 

I open my eyes again, determined. He must understand. He must not be angry. It's not my fault - I tried so hard.

 

"Mike." He looks up, face tear-stained and red. In that moment I know without a doubt, that this is the last time I will see him. I think back to the first time we'd met in the heart of this beautiful city. There had been a free truffle stand, and Mike got the last one. I was standing in line right behind him. Seeing my disappointed face, he'd offered it to me, and things went from there. He's been generous from the start. The man of a lifetime. And now, this lifetime, short as it was, is about to end. It was a good one, and I am at peace with my fate. But is he? Can he ever be?

 

"Mike ... please understand. I'm ... sorry."

 

"Not sorry. No, Sarah, no ..." His voice trails away as he starts to realize that there is no point. Words and wishes can't change my destiny.

 

"Sarah, please, no." The pain in his eyes is nearly unbearable to watch.

 

"Promise ..." I can't speak. And yet there is so much I still want to say.

 

"Anything. I love you. I'll always love you. I never want to be with anyone else. Sarah, take me with you. Don't leave me behind alone!" His beautiful face is close to mine now.

 

"No ... Mike. Promise me ... you'll ... live. Love." I have to force myself to continue. This is my last chance. "I love you ... Live ... on ..."

 

Without hesitation, he answers. At this crucial moment, his strength suddenly returns. He's always been my rock.

 

"I will. For you, Sarah, I will. I love you. Forever."

 

"I ... love ... you ..." I feel myself slipping away. It's almost time. I've said what I had to, I can go now.

I close my eyes, feeling his body's warmth for the last time. Then, I descend into darkness. 

© 2016 Kathrin S


Author's Note

Kathrin S
Glad for any feedback!! Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Kickass !!!! ...hehe... Sorry for the lack of a better word... But I absolutely loved this one... Beautiful opening. Great middle and even better climax. It has the tear-jerk quality to it and it beats most of the love based stories that I have seen here in WC in terms of structure and drama displayed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks! :)



Reviews

This is so pretty. It flows so smoothly, and it's realistic. It reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. This is sad, but beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked the piece.
Kickass !!!! ...hehe... Sorry for the lack of a better word... But I absolutely loved this one... Beautiful opening. Great middle and even better climax. It has the tear-jerk quality to it and it beats most of the love based stories that I have seen here in WC in terms of structure and drama displayed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
Wow! I just wiped away the tears from reading this! You have an incredible gift. Thank you for sharing this piece. I loved it!
(I'm sorry I don't have a "critique" on ways you could improve it. I think it's wonderful just the way it is.)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thank you!!
Amazing write even though it is quite sad, it was worth the read. Thanks, for sharing. Eva

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and for the feedback! It is a sad piece, yes - it was written with the prompt 'la.. read more
OMG, very touching and obviously extremely sad. Out of all the writing I have read today this one will probably stay with me for some time sine it is a very intense scene. Very well written. It feels very believable. The Eiffel tower scene was the only time I felt disconnected with the characters. They could both very well met there, but it seems a tad cliché and out of reach from the common reader. If they were to have meet in, say somewhere like, a line for free truffles at a market(IDK that's off the top of my head) it would seem more genuine. But enough about that small detail =P.. Very powerful and moving!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the comment and the helpful review! I loved your idea and have incorporated it into the p.. read more
I was really impressed by this. I think you should make it longer if you can. It's brief and evokes emotion which is really what people want and the longer you can make them feel something the better of a writer you are. You've created two characters that people want to believe in, so maybe take them further. Honestly for 9/10 people you just showed them a void they want. So give it to them. That would be the next level I think. Maybe start small, take this, a two minute read to a five minute one. Then ten. Then half an hour. Something like that maybe.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thank you! It's a flash fiction piece, that's why it's so short. And you're right, I will be working.. read more
Hello Kathrin S.,

Overall, I think it is a good story. I cannot see where you need to improve it. It has a good feel--very emotional. I think the beginning is good. I want to read on and feel so sad by the end.

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi




Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot!
This is a very touching story and a great read. Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for improvement, or would you leave it this way?
Anthony Wayne

7 Years Ago

Maybe you could put the reminisce about Paris into a couple of sentences in the conversation? I thin.. read more
Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks, that's an idea. I'll experiment with it this weekend.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ali
you always astonishing at the last sentence .its really touching and emotional.its great story since we sensed its words. i wished that you show more details and memories that they share,or further plans and dreams they wanted to achieve together. you used flashback in very soft and talented way. last but not the least, i'm big fan of ur works and always eager to read what ur soft hands innovates.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thank you :) I will think about and play around with adding more detail - writing something about th.. read more
Hello!
That was such a nice story ... Romance stories are my favourite ... the story was full of emotions and I really like that...
it was a sad story as well, it touched my heart.
it really difficult to lose the one you love ...
the transitions with the actions were smooth
the adjectives you used are also creative words
well done ... I will be reading your works during this week
and I will be waiting for your coming stories
good luck :)



Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathrin S

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

266 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 24, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016
Tags: love, loss, death, romance, end, ending, short, flash, fiction, sad, tragic, heart, man, woman

Author

Kathrin S
Kathrin S

Switzerland



About
kathrinspinnler.wordpress.com Dancer, teacher and writer. I am looking for feedback on some of my work. I will leave each piece up until I'm starting to send it out to literary magazines. At that p.. more..

Writing