Max

Max

A Chapter by kathyblack
"

The second chapter of The Painter. A mysterious box shows up outside the coffee shop...

"

The heater’s constant humming reminded him of hundreds of bumble bees, blissfully buzzing through a calm field of flowers, going about their work, indifferent to the world. Something about the sound soothed him, drew him to it--like a baby to its mother’s voice. It seemed to cradle his soul as he listened, his thumbs rubbing up against the warmth of the coffee mug in his palms.

He closed his eyes, basking in the beautiful simplicity of the silence of the coffee shop--save the heater’s buzzing. It was late in the evening; no one came in for coffee after eight.

No one but him, anyway.

Past the constant humming played soft lounge music; not too upbeat, but not too low-key to be blues. It seemed to fit the setting of the small shop perfectly, like a missing puzzle piece. The atmosphere reminded him of home--or, rather, his thought of home.

“You’re still here?”

Slowly, he opened his eyes, trying to will himself to return to the moment at hand. He smiled at the owner of the voice, his expression ever placid.

“You seem surprised, Gabi,” he said in a voice too happy to be indifferent but too plain to be enthused. “I’m always here until closing.”

“Yeah, well,” she said, looking rather embarrassed. “I thought you might’ve gone home early. It’s supposed to storm tonight.”

He glanced down at his coffee mug, watching the soft ripples bounce across the surface. “I don’t mind storms.”

“So you’re okay with walking in the pouring rain and hail, then?”

Though her voice was rich with sarcasm and acid, he couldn’t help but smile; his sunny disposition made it an almost everlasting act. Besides, he liked the way the yellow lights of the shop reflected against the shine of her bleach-blond hair. It reminded him of honey.

“I don’t mind.”

Gabi rolled her eyes as she folded her arms in front of her chest. “You’re a real character, Calvin.”

He gave an airy chuckle in return, shifting his gaze to the darkened windows across the room. The lights of the other places of business were starkly visible in the Minnesota darkness.

A small bell went off as the door to the shop opened, a young woman with tousled hair entered with a worn cardboard box.

“Can you believe the gall of some people?” she asked as she stepped inside, setting her package down on the counter.

“What’s the big deal, Jess?” the employee behind the counter inquired.

“Just look inside the box,” the young woman replied, flipping her hair back. “Some people . . . it makes me sick.”

Curious, Calvin got to his feet, abandoning his half-drunk coffee on the table behind him. “Mind if I take a look?”

“Go ahead. I don’t want it,” Jess replied. “I can’t keep it, anyway.”

He made his way to the box, Gabi close behind. Without putting much thought behind it, he slowly pulled away the flaps of the cardboard box. His eyes lit up and a smile larger than usual spread across his serene face upon seeing the contents.

With careful hands he reached into the box and pulled out a small white kitten, whose fur was slightly dirtied and clumped together in places. The animal’s eyes were a vibrant shade of jade, reminding him much of his own.

“Ew,” Gabi said as she took a step back. “Why’s it all dirty like that?”

“Beats me,” Jess said. “I just found it outside. Well, later. I’m getting home before the storm hits.”

The bell’s light ring went off as the woman left the shop, the scent of rain seeping in as the door swung shut.

“I like him,” Calvin said simply, holding the kitten against his chest.

“How do you know it’s a ‘him’? Did you check or something?” Gabi asked, looking a bit disgusted at the thought.

The other held the animal up in front of her, forcing her to look it in the eyes.

“You can tell by his face,” he said. “He looks like a Max.”

“You want it?” the employee asked as he dried a stray mug with a bright orange towel. “S’not like I’m gonna keep it, anyway.”

Calvin smiled, though this one was different that the others that day. It was a smile you might see on the face of someone who had just found eternal enlightenment--not a kitten. He drew the animal back to his chest, running his thin fingers down its back.

“Yeah,” he said in a soft voice, as if speaking any louder would frighten his new companion. “I do.”

Gabi made a face and scoffed. “Calvin, you’re going to walk home in a storm with a mangy stray kitten? Really?” She turned and walked out of the room, as if unable to handle the situation.

He slowly walked over to the windows at the front of the shop, stroking the animal’s back all the while. A light rain had formed in the last couple of minutes, and it was gradually getting stronger. He watched the raindrops land on the glass. They jolted down in jagged, random patterns in a race to the bottom, colliding with other drops along the way, though they never stopped. He watched the raindrops and let out a small, contented sigh. Truly, it was the simple things in life that pleased him most.

“We’re gonna be closing up soon, Calvin,” the employee said from behind the counter. “You’d better head home with that cat before this weather gets worse.”

“Thanks, Thad,” Calvin replied, turning to give the other a slight nod. He looked down at the small animal in his arms which, to his surprise, had fallen asleep.

“Time to go home, little guy,” he said gently, tucking the animal under one of the flaps of his vest. Using his back, he leaned up against the door and, taking one last breath of the warm coffee aroma, stepped out into the cold, rainy night.

The rain had picked up in the small amount of time that had passed. He knew there was no way out of getting soaked to the bone, so Calvin stepped right out into the downpour, trying to shield his furry companion the best he could.

Not even nine o’clock and the streets were completely empty--not even a single car drove past him as he made his way down the sidewalk. His copper red locks dripped and clung to his head, the gel that had styled the back all but a distant memory. He walked in a fairly straight line, not bothering to sidestep puddles in his black Converse.

After all, he didn’t mind.

Halfway down the block he heard a car coming up behind him. Naturally, he assumed it was just on its way home and didn’t bother to look. He was content with focusing in on the feel of the raindrops against his skin. They had become much harder since he started, feeling like small pebbles being thrown at him from an upper forty-five degree angle.

When the car pulled up to the curb next to him, though, Calvin glanced to the side, wondering if whoever it was would ask for directions. He grinned as the window rolled down, revealing the driver.

“Get in, Calvin.”

“I’m soaking wet, you know.”

“Don’t remind me.”

“Thank you, Gabriella,” he said, giving her a warm, toothy smile.

She rolled her eyes as he scurried around the car, allowing her lips to curl slightly once he was out of sight.

“Is Max wet?” she asked once he was inside.

Calvin blinked. “Who’s Max?”

“Isn’t that what you named your stupid cat?” she said, slightly flustered.

“Oh, right.” He looked underneath his vest; the kitten was sleeping soundly. “He’s fine.”

“Well, that’s good.”

“Are we going back to your house?” Calvin asked  the way a child would for a treat.

Gabi snorted. “What--why would we do that?”

“You make the best chili. Max and I could go for something nice and hot.”

“Well . . .” she said, contemplating the idea. “You really shouldn’t sit in those wet clothes for long. . . .”

“We could have a sleepover,” Calvin said innocently.

“What--? What the hell?” Gabi stammered, giving him a baffled and angry sideways glance.

He let out a small chuckle and leaned back into the cool leather seat. “Just kidding, Gabi. Just a bowl of chili and Max and I will be on our way.”

“Yeah, ‘on your way’ as in crashing on my couch for the night . . .”



© 2010 kathyblack


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your story is already developing nicely! In this chapter, however, I would like to offer a few pointers, if you don't mind.

When you wrote "not to low-key" I believe you meant to put 'too', not 'to'.

Also, when you wrote " "I like him," Calvin said plainly", the word 'simply' seems to fit in in better than the word 'plainly'.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your story is already developing nicely! In this chapter, however, I would like to offer a few pointers, if you don't mind.

When you wrote "not to low-key" I believe you meant to put 'too', not 'to'.

Also, when you wrote " "I like him," Calvin said plainly", the word 'simply' seems to fit in in better than the word 'plainly'.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 4, 2010
Last Updated on August 5, 2010
Tags: The Painter, Chapter Two, Max


Author

kathyblack
kathyblack

About
I'm just another underaged writer, scribbling my thoughts away and only 16. I don't think my stories have much in common, but I know I DO enjoy writing them, even if they might be "literary crap". I'd.. more..

Writing
Dehydration Dehydration

A Chapter by kathyblack


Mushu Pork Mushu Pork

A Chapter by kathyblack