My loving words on the breeze

My loving words on the breeze

A Story by K. Glidden
"

A small trip down memory lane about the day I said "I do."

"

My heart pounds fervently in my chest, an anxious reminder of what is to come. I grip the bouquet a little more tightly in my hands, feeling the ribbon and glue holding the carefully picked flowers together in its binding. A small trinket, a playful nod to a favorite movie of ours, is wrapped around its center, dangling and glinting in the early evening sunlight. I can smell the daffodils and rosemary, their gentle perfume calming my nerves as I wait. It won’t be much longer now. I won’t have to wait for him much longer now.

The first few notes of my song begins, a melodic tune that gives me goosebumps as I recall the moment we picked it together. It had taken the two of us weeks to comb through every romantic song that could hold any sort of significance for our moment.  The second we heard it, we knew it was the one. I look over at my mother and she beams at me, her eyes already welling with proud tears.

“Are you ready, pumpkin?” She asks me, holding out her arm so I can link it with mine. She is beautiful in her sparkling gray dress, her makeup done just right. I have never seen her so excited, so enchanted, than in this moment. Her energetic grin gives me confidence.

“Let’s do this.” I nod my head, giving one last cursory glance over my lace gown to make sure everything is in place. I briefly touch the pearls at my neck, a reminder of my great grandmother that passed years ago. Together, we move towards the open french doors of the building we’ve been waiting in, getting into a rhythm with our steps.

The warm March sun lights upon my face as we step out through the doors and I instantly feel the cool sensation of grass below my bare feet. The music swells a little louder, announcing our presence as we round the corner to face the rows of smiling faces aimed at us, a blurry sea of tears and waves from all those I hold dear. The 300 year old trees dotted around the venue shade us from the Texas heat, the lanterns hanging from their branches encapsulating a dreamy feeling of another world. 

I carefully navigate the stepping stones within the grass, minding the short train of my dress. I attempt to smile at my loved ones as I pass them by, but then I look towards the vined archway at the end of the aisle and everyone else around me melts into the background. I no longer notice the music, the gentle breeze tickling the flowers in my hair. My focus is stolen by the man waiting for me beneath the arch. His face lights up as we lock eyes, quickly turning red as he tries to fight the tears.

I told myself I wasn’t going to cry, but when I see how much he loves me, my lip begins to tremble. My mom finishes walking me towards him, her gentle sniffling a cue that she wasn’t nearly as strong as she thought, either. I take a moment to smile at my sister and sister-in-law to the left, then to both my brother-in-laws to the right. My sister’s husband and my nephew are dressed in their matching kilts and he flashes a toothy grin at me while wrestling his son to stay still.

“Is it true that you came of your own free will and accord?” I almost forgot all about the officiant, a small man with a big beard standing next to the man I am about to wed. His words catch my attention and I scramble to remember my lines.

“Yes, it is true!” I don’t know if I am shouting or whispering as the words spill from my lips.

“With whom do you come and whose blessings accompany you?” He replies, giving me a reassuring smirk.

“Her mother and her family.” Mom pronounces, clearing her throat so that all could hear her.

“We all do!” A loud voice shouts from the depths of the small crowd behind us. I don’t need to turn around to know it is our long time family friend, a carefree woman who rides motorcycles and braids her hair with flowers. I can’t help but smile as the others chuckle at her declaration.

“Then let us begin.”

My mom kisses me on the cheek, taking my bouquet to hand to my sister, then retreats to her seat in the first row. She pulls out a wad of tissues from her bosom so she can cry freely as my mother-in-law sitting next to her pats her hand for comfort. I take my place on the other side of the officiant and hold out my hands for my fiance to grasp. He is warm, a slight tremble in his hands as we stare into each other’s eyes. The moment we have been waiting for, planning for, has finally arrived. The words being spoken next to me fades in the background as I smile lovingly at the man of my dreams.

I have found my person. The one who makes me feel safe and loved no matter what life hands us. It felt like fate had brought us together when we first met, and it hadn’t taken long before our love grew too fast for a simple friendship. Amongst the chirping of birds above us, the symphonic music trickling through the air, the fresh rose bushes blooming behind our archway, it's a perfect moment frozen in time. It’s everything I had hoped for and worked hard for months to achieve.

But all of it...every last flower petal and fairy light...dulls in comparison to how much I love him. With him, I pledge the rest of my days. And with him, I create my own fairytale, one that surpasses the stories and books of time.

With him, I say I do.

© 2020 K. Glidden


Author's Note

K. Glidden
Just a fun little story to enjoy. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is more than just a little story to enjoy. This is exquisitely romantic and emotional supreme. Well done.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 7, 2020
Last Updated on June 7, 2020
Tags: romance, wedding, love

Author

K. Glidden
K. Glidden

TX



About
Writer, geek, baker, animal lover. Though there are so much more to describe a person's life, these four words can be the foundation of who I am, and how people may see me. I have been scribbling m.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114