Canvas

Canvas

A Story by Kaya

 

It hung on the wall, surrounded by the works of the masters in gilded frames. It sat in between the Mona Lisa and The Starry Night, almost as a breaker between the styles. No one knew what to do with it of course; it was outside of their realms of expertise. They spent weeks trying to work out who had inspired this art; art that left the greatest critics scratching their heads in confusion.

The canvas was a virgin white, the crisscross weave clearly visible to anyone looking. The two metre expanse of white was like a magnet, drawing attention away from the classics to this one piece, looking to see why such a plain painting hung next to the work of the irreproachable masters. It was clearly more than a simple white blankness to be worth the prestige it was offered. Finally, when they stood so close that they could almost smell the canvas, they saw it. An off-center tiny black dot the size of a pinhead, delicately marring the perfect base.  

In its early days, people had reached out to brush their hands across the canvas trying to dislodge the speck of dust. Some blowing gently at the canvas as if to dislodge a speck of dust before they realized it was a part of the artwork. A small acrylic dot demanding all of the attention of the people who would look at it.

There had been a man who had seen it, who had studied the image, taken photo’s and prints and scans. He had written an essay that had the art world in frenzy. He’d likened the dot to a mark on a human soul; said that the controversial painter ‘Anon’ had encompassed the way even the cleanest soul needed only one mark. One mark and it would be the only thing a person would ever look at. It was a great theory, a relevant theory, people wrote stories based on it, they argued against it, positing ideas more and more far fetching. Calls were sent out in an almost compulsive need to find the artist. To discover once and for all what meaning was intended by such a blatant disregard for style and propriety. The gallery curator harassed and questioned as to how he’d gotten the piece.

No replies ever came, nor final decision concluded. It hung on the wall, blissfully unaware of the controversy it caused. It shone in the lights angled to bring forward the tiny black point, to illuminate the mystery the world saw. It wasn’t until closing, when the cleaner came forward to turn off the lights, that the painting ever saw its creator. An old man never noticed, underpaid and underappreciated; a man completely ignorant about art and snubbed for his ignorance. A man who’d set the world on edge with his one tiny speck of knowledge.

The world only needed to think something’s important for it to become the work of a visionary mind.

© 2012 Kaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Our world too,spins uncaring who steps on or off.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaya

11 Years Ago

I find it so remarkable that we all agree with the general consensus just because we aren't sure of .. read more
lee von cleef

11 Years Ago

Fiy poop can be impressive . it is all just perspective.
Very well written story. Good description and flow. Good job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this story. Somethings mystery is the reason we appreciate a painting or something unknown. I like the history of the painting and the attention given to it. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
a great story of the mind of artist. wide enoyable read. great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


Brilliant! As a professional artist for decades, I can vouch for your story's accuracy. I see this sort of thing quite often. Very well written and entertaining.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaya

11 Years Ago

Thank goodness... i know absolutely nothing about art, but i'm always amazed to see something so str.. read more
Kaya, I'm going to completely honest with you, I think your style of writing is remarkable and mind-blowing. Your so unique with every piece of work and each one amazes me in it's own way. You seem to have the ability to look deeper into the human mind and find some of the littlest things that have the largest responses...like that little black dot. I love how you completely capture the realistic but so unexpected result and reaction that people would really show. I don't know where you got the idea for this, but it's remarkable and I admire the ability you have. Don't ever let your gift die

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaya

11 Years Ago

A friend asked me for the link to my work once, and she told me how brave she though it was, that pe.. read more
Odayin

11 Years Ago

Anytime Kaya:) and I'm sure that you're plenty brave, even if it's not in the areas that you think. .. read more
Kaya

11 Years Ago

All this praise... You may have made meblush :P But thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoy it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 30, 2012
Last Updated on July 30, 2012

Author

Kaya
Kaya

Brisbane, Qld, Australia



About
Hey Guys, I just remembered about this website when my old computer came back online. I left writing and moed on to pole dancing, but, as embarrassing as reading through my old work feels, I want .. more..

Writing
Hidden Past Hidden Past

A Story by Kaya


Anzac Anzac

A Poem by Kaya



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..