The Halcyon Bird.

The Halcyon Bird.

A Poem by Ken Simm.
"

A Confounded Kingfisher.

"
 

Wish.

For the sky to paint your back, blue as the enameled coloured sea, hitting a single white shingle shore. For the sun to burn your breast forever red. A heart to pump ripe into deep cut life..

Fly away higher, away from the biblical flood of ages. Away from the speck of singular spectacular light that controls all that you wished for.


Watch

Bright but unseen. Hunting by diving, pushing forward the downward air. Flashed spear headed. Pointed scale armour silver twisting dripping. Freshwater green beating reflections back from shadows under weeping trees. Seeming to fly backwards, beating the silver head until dead. Pray against the cross made white tree with gold peeling bark.

Twist the iridescent blue wing flashing lighter reflections against your hunters life.


Still.

Life circles below, dirt brown and rippled. Wandering through the water gothics, catching the shafted sunlight insinuated into three dimensional dances. Waved patches of insect motes glittering across a surface web of mathematical glass. Bottle coloured river waving earthy watercolour paint brushes dispersed in liquid. Deep and deeper to where the long jawed carnivores wait in old dead reeded arches.


Breathe.

Rushes of burnt black heads rising on a cow day breeze. Cloven in mud sliding. Shouts and singular wishes across an ancient ford broken with even older stone. Feathered knotted banging and gyro dragons transparent writ across the fly blown exploded brown.

Halcyon of days. Feeding bags of needled young, head poking and squabbling in white entrance dripped holes.


Listen.

Cup the air wing laboured. Large beast beats away into sunset streaked air. Screamed Summer hunting high with flittered mouse rag following. Wing blue fading dark and lazuli skies. The Pleiades burn and the Halcyon bird seeks its brightest light.

Fly.



© 2012 Ken Simm.


Author's Note

Ken Simm.
If we listen to some stories, in those days the Halcyon was a dull brown bird not the beautiful kingfisher we see flashing across our rivers. After the flood Noah first sent out a raven which fed only on the carrion and did not return. The second bird Noah released from Mt Ararat was the Kingfisher, the Halcyon. Instead of flying out across the receding waters the halcyon flew upwards and upwards until its back turned the colour of the sky. Still it flew up until the heat of the sun burned its breast red. The Pleiades are associated with the Kingfisher in Greek Myth. The picture is mine and is called Waterland.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i like the "two poems in one" feel to this...perhaps as was said...part is like an outline..

but could almost stand on its end.

i was enthralled by your description as i was when i read Tolkien.
and i love the bird going straight up---

love blue, my favorite color..and i live on a street called Blue Jay Lane...they are beautiful...we have many, as well as Bluebirds...

there is something peaceful about that color bird blended in with others.

there is much peaceful about this piece.

really nice writing.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

I use a lot of blue in my paintings and other artwork Jacob. Perhaps that is why the Kingfisher stor.. read more



Reviews

i like the "two poems in one" feel to this...perhaps as was said...part is like an outline..

but could almost stand on its end.

i was enthralled by your description as i was when i read Tolkien.
and i love the bird going straight up---

love blue, my favorite color..and i live on a street called Blue Jay Lane...they are beautiful...we have many, as well as Bluebirds...

there is something peaceful about that color bird blended in with others.

there is much peaceful about this piece.

really nice writing.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

I use a lot of blue in my paintings and other artwork Jacob. Perhaps that is why the Kingfisher stor.. read more
Like the picture; looking through a flowing clear-water lens certainly makes the waterway's contents appear sharper.
The Wish, Watch, Still, Breathe and Listen must be more than mere poetic outline.
Enjoyed your sometimes fanciful, always gorgeous, account of a magnificent bird--and all the metaphorical applications that account may engender.
Your work, Ken, is consistently top-notch.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

I suppose the wish etc is my imposition into the landscape. I once had a kingfisher land on my toe a.. read more
Had a look at this and like it a lot. I think Ken writes very gently and peacefully, prose you can relax with, and from the style here with its unusual syntax even a bit like James Joyce. So a good read that deserves all the credit it has got.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Glad you think so Leslie. Its not always so peaceful however.
Leslie Philibert

11 Years Ago

And of course you are right ! What I meant to say is your writing requires
a careful reading, .. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Many, many thanks for that Leslie. I don't always feel I achieve the range I want but I am glad you .. read more
I took the liberty of MY timing as I read this aloud... parts NEEDED to RUN - breathless and freefalling while others demanded pause and intent... the feel of it afterwards made me glad I paused - here - with your thoughts.

Thanks man.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

That was the intent Chris. I'm glad you noticed and I bet your timing was perfect.
Chris

11 Years Ago

I tasted the aerie from beneath and as the wings rose and curved about the plumes of life rising and.. read more
Mister... Wow do funny waters run deep. This is a beautiful and artful piece. I loved simply reading it... and then re-reading it to pull the meaning from it. Lyrical in composition and reverent in its execution. Beautiful Ken. Thank you for the RR. Always an education with you now isn't it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Hope so. But telll me if I'm becoming an anorak.
I am not immune to the thought that this may only ostensibly about the kingfisher. The pacing is immaculate, the use of language--"single white shingle shore", "rushes of burnt black heads" et al--enviable in its arrangement and vocabulary. It earns its place among its Confounded brethren.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

It is not going too far to say that all this would not have happened without your support my friend... read more
W.k.kortas

11 Years Ago

If that is the case, then I can say I've accomplished something that is very worthwhile.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Ken... you are an artist. Your canvas, the page, your medium words. the colours you create, dazzling. I cannot sing your praises highly enough. Damn.... and I'd made my mind up I was going to be analytical as well. OK. Your damn hot and I'm jealous as intercourse

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EMF

11 Years Ago

Ken... Stand up to the Dame. Never let a hat intimidate you. Unless it's mine of course.
Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

Yeah ken. I am harmless. Unless you mess with me. Then Faustus will take you on. He is good like tha.. read more
Ken Simm.

11 Years Ago

Matron says I shouldn't play with you two anymore. You are naughty. So I'm taking my bat home, so th.. read more
'Rushes of burnt black heads rising on a cow day breeze. Cloven in mud sliding. Shouts and singular wishes across an ancient ford broken with even older stone. Feathered knotted banging and gyro dragons transparent writ across the fly blown exploded brown.' Extraordinary, unique phrasing.

Apart from the 'beating dead' - which is graphic shuddering truth, that second area is everything the kingfisher is - words to envy, a series of happenings that really hit the mind. Your writing never fails to touch emotions, never fails to turn myth into something more tangible.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love the songs in your heart

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yes, oh yes . . . and i should add that the image is breath-taking

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

831 Views
10 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 30, 2012
Last Updated on September 15, 2012
Tags: kingfisher, legend, bird, nature, light, water, river, Summer, natural, myth

Author

Ken Simm.
Ken Simm.

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
'I should not talk so much about myself if there were anybody else whom I knew as well. Unfortunately, I am confined to this theme by the narrowness of my experience' Thoreau. For all those who .. more..

Writing