Honey, Pass the Butter Please

Honey, Pass the Butter Please

A Poem by Ken e Bujold
"

"inspired after a conversation with my dear friend Divya about buttons"

"
Before morning broke 
My resolve to go, 
The idea of where 
We kept the knives 
Seemed of little importance. 
I rarely glanced inside 
The kitchen drawer, 
Gave a thought to how many 
May or may not have been 
Tucked away in places 
I never would have imagined. 
Because I trusted her, 
Her commitment to details, 
It seemed only logical 
That utensils went with 
Utensils. Knives and forks 
Resided next to the spoons, 
Big and little ones, though 
I never have figured out 
Why we need to differentiate: 
Either or, both seem to stir 
Equally well when tasked 
With managing the soup. 
But now, I’ve this queer sense 
Something isn’t quite as right 
As first appearances would make 
Believe. Perhaps there’s trouble 
In Paradise, an insurrection 
Brewing among the steak and 
Butter sets -- what else 
Would explain the sudden disparity 
Between their numbers? 
They’re born as matching sets 
Are they not? I think 
I read that once. Or was it just 
Something I always sort of considered 
A logical assumption. 
I might inquire, but 
Given how we arrived at 
This particular junction,  
Wisdom counsels silence 
The most advisable course 
Of action. Last night’s 
Betrayal still has a hint 
Of bitter omens circling 
The kitchen drain --
Only a fool would venture 
Out into no man’s land 
Empty handed. A dull blade, 
I might be, but not so dense 
As to try and parry 
The scimitar she’s buttering 
My bagel with. 


Ken e Bujold

© 2023 Ken e Bujold


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hid all my sharp knives. I hate blades so would never use them. I have a real fear of steel. I would have been looking for another way to inflict punishment :) An entertaining read Ken. Trouble at mill. an old English saying.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


A mysterious notion going on in this home...nothing seems to be where it belongs....as you searched for a knife with which to go outside the house on your own, but things didn't give...was it a sign of potential problems with the wife?, but better not say anything because " wisdom counsels silence".....you did not want to leave without some protection if you are going to no man's land...."bitter omens circling the kitchen"... the reader wants to know everything! Nice piece Ken!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


LOL! I couldn't help but laugh at the end. You are all seriousness at the beginning and throughout, but you were dead serious at the end. It's the poetic equivalent of asking a woman, "Are you okay?" And her responding with, "I'm fine."

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ken e Bujold

1 Year Ago

glad you enjoyed LInda. give u another laugh. My dear wife read this, and asked what what's a scimit.. read more
Linda Marie Van Tassell

1 Year Ago

Ha! Too funny!
The magic of this write is that the reader is able to make a list of inferences about the characters depicted.
It would make a great exercise for drama students to reconstruct the details of this relationship based on these words. Also, I agree with the other commentators: it is an entertaining read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


trouble in paradise with only an unbuttered bagel to deflect the downward slice of a razor sharp scimitar
Drawers always seemed to be so innocuous

Posted 1 Year Ago


This was hilarious! And it was wonderful. I'm the knife collector in our family. I love all sorts of blades from the single-handed Highland sword hanging on my wall to the multiple pen knives I carry in my pockets. I have German Solingen hip knives and Bucks and Case knives. My wife doesn't want anything to do with sharp edges. She peels potatoes with a serious focus akin to an epileptic on the brink of a seizure trying to thread a needle. I think if you have a "dress pocket knife" you might be a "redneck" to steal a Jeff Foxworthy line. And yes, I have one. It's a tiny elk-horn Case that I carry in my suit pocket, just in case. Pun intended. Oh well, keeping track of the silverware was never so much fun. I enjoyed every word.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Okay, Forgive me but does "SHE" actually butter your bagel in the "literal" or rather in the metaphoric" sense" of the meaning? Cause that might change everything.
Well, for now, we'll have to put that aside as there is very little time. You must understand that that alone is odd enough to warrant a full-out execution...for God's sake man, leave no trace and then leave town. Take to the camouflage of the well-secured foxholes of the nearest woods. Use only the rarest and most trusted methods of cryptology for means of communicating with whomever.
Sleep in the high terrain and caves where you'll have the benefit of awareness come ambush should one be imminent. Very important ..Wait a sec...Hold on!!!. Is this here the knife? I found it in the cabinets next to the Peanut butter... Hahahaha.
How easily our minds play havoc with our reason but this led me perfectly down to an obvious plot of "murder most foul"!
What kind of conversation did you and Divya have anyway?..lol.
A wonderfully strange and ominous tale with a rather humourous ending. I had not heard of that sword in some time, (the "scimitar") since Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark, I think? Could have been Aladdin.
This one flows down to the centers of the warren Ken, then it grows from mild OCD to a mad buttering with the Scimitar...Hahaha Always a pleasure ~

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ken e Bujold

1 Year Ago

hahaha. love it whenever you get on a roll with a review my friend. reminds me of Lewis Black.
read more
Perdition

1 Year Ago

I'm just getting warmed up here, I'll be through to the end of your collection by dawn. Wait for it... read more
I have found that sometimes butter comes from the fridge rock hard and often a utensil adjustment must be made though this time it seems someone got a little carried away. I wouldn't concern myself with it too much but if when she asks you to pass the bread....I don't think I would hesitate too much.
Ok...truth time, I had to google scimitar. Now I see. : )

Posted 1 Year Ago


The close of this is so very good because we were led by extended metaphor to the unexpected. Made me chuckle out loud.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


A very fascinating poem Ken. Never were kitchen blades surrounded with such intrigue. Indeed, we seldom pay much attention to detail. Perhaps, we take things for granted sometimes. Your words made me uneasy. I sense trouble brewing somewhere, perhaps in a relationship. Yes, be silent and perhaps watchful. That scimitar seems so foreboding of something ominous!

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2023
Last Updated on January 25, 2023

Author

Ken e Bujold
Ken e Bujold

Somewhere in Ontario, Canada



About
Writers write, it's what we do. Fish swim, woodpeckers peck... writers scribble (inside and outside the lines). more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren