Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Behind the Waterfall

Behind the Waterfall

A Story by Kennedia
"

Summer, a ten year old girl lives a life of turmoil. Her only escape is the magical world inside her mind. What would happen if her world became reality?

"

                As Summer lay there with her eyes closed, she felt herself drift to another world.  In this other world, the trees were a bright green, the sky shining, and the birds singing.  She was sure they were singing to her; they must have been.  A hint of magical life peaked out from the grass.  The wind enveloped her senses and she let out a sigh that flew across the land.  She then noticed the waterfall: her water fall.  It was always there; always waiting for her.  She didn't dare travel beyond it, however.  She wondered what waited behind nature’s tears.  No, she feared for what waited.  Summer was afraid that she'd find her reality, her sadness.  She'd only find-
                Slam!
                “Summer, honey, get dressed.”  Summer was instantly snatched out of her dream world.  Her eyes opened to a dark, gloomy ceiling.  It had leak stains from previous rains and the paint was chipping off.  She knew that at any moment, it would cave in. 

                Olivia, her mother, was running around frantically like a chicken with its head cut off.

“Shirt...Shoes...Toothbrush...”  She had a tattered backpack in her hand that was falling apart.

“Where are we going this time, Mom?”

“How did he find us?”

“Can we fit all that?”

“Do we have to change our names?”

CRASH

The backpack laid on the floor lifeless; hopeless.

 “Summer, would you shut your mouth and stop asking so many questions!?”  Olivia’s eyes were bloodshot and her hands were quaking.  Tears seeped down her cheeks and her lips were pale.

                Summer's voice was taken from her once again.  Even though she was already ten years old, she never had a say in the matters of the adult world.  They were always on the run.  From what?  A madman?  The monster that brought Summer into this world was determined to take the lives of her mother and her.  He believed that they were evil creatures wearing the skins of his wife and daughter.

                Olivia’s hand grappled her daughter's wrist and dragged her behind her.  Before Summer knew it, they were standing at a lonely bus stop.  The crickets sang loudly and the frogs invaded their ears.  Nature was telling them that this summer night was about to bring rain.

Olivia let out a sigh and handed Summer the backpack.

“When is the bus coming, Mom?”

“I don’t know, honey.  I’ll be right back.  I’m going to check the bus times.” She paused for a moment and pushed her daughter's bangs away from her face.

“Everything you need is in your bag.”  Summer's mother seemed strange to her; something wasn’t right.  She noticed her voice was shaky, and she appeared to be holding her breath.

Her narrow back began to grow smaller as it drifted away.  Summer suddenly felt something wet on her hand.  She then felt it again on her face.  She looked up and shrieked as heaven began to cry.  Summer quickly threw herself to the floor and crawled under the bus stop’s bench.  She curled up into a ball and prayed for the rain to hastily leave; and for her mother to return.

                The birds sang once more and the heavens shined brightly.  Summer inhaled the breeze and dipped her feet in the nearby spring.  She was in her secret utopia once more.  She gazed at the dancing trees and threw her head back as she closed her eyes.  She opened them again and met with her waterfall.

Summer.  Summer we’re waiting for you.

                She awoke suddenly and hit her head on the bus stop bench.  It was smoldering hot outside and Summer was drenched in sweat.  She crawled out from beneath and looked around.

“Mom?”  She curiously called out.  She looked up and down; left and right.  There wasn’t a person in sight.  Summer suddenly heard a yelp and looked down.  It was a small Pomeranian dog.  Sandy red fur jutted out and its tongue flapped around.

“Where did you come from?  Are you alone, too?”

It let out a tiny sound, as if responding in agreement.  The dog’s beady eyes gazed into Summer's soul and captured her heart.

“Alright, alright, you can come with me.  We have to go find Mom!”

                Nighthawk, the name Summer graciously dubbed her little Pomeranian friend, trotted behind her.  The bus stop grew smaller in the background as they moved further away.  She had found an “OUT OF SERVICE” sign nearby, so Summer knew there wouldn’t be a bus coming.  She had a feeling that her mother may have had that knowledge as well.

                They must have walked down the road for about thirty minutes before they suddenly encountered temptation.  Through her heat stricken haziness, Summer heard a feint tune that sounded like happiness to her ears.  She sprinted down the road with sweat dripping down her back as Nighthawk followed.  She was determined to find the source of the music.

                “I knew it!!! An Ice cream truck!”  Summer ran to the truck without thinking about the fact that they were in the middle of nowhere.  Nighthawk was the only one that had a suspicion as he ran after Summer barking.

                The window slowly opened and a figure appeared.  For some reason, the window seemed a lot higher than normal.  Summer opened her bag and hastily rustled for any sign of coinage.  She remembered seeing her mother throw her wallet in there.  Success!  She pulled out a dollar from the wallet.  A pounding in her ear began as Nighthawk continuously barked.

                “Would you stop that, Nighthawk!?”  Summer was unusually impatient.

                “Yes, hi!  I would like a Fudgsicle.”  She moved her hand with the dollar slowly to the window.  Suddenly a shaded hand gripped onto Summer's wrist.  Her eyes grew wide with fear as she realized what was happening.

                “No! Let go!!”  The world started to grow darker and it seemed as if time began to slow.  Laughter began to echo and ring throughout her ears.  She wasn’t sure what was going on; she only felt a sense of impending doom. 

 

We have to save her.

What?  A voice?

But that would be against the rules.  She has to come to us.

She can’t come to us if they get her.

Fine. But you’re taking all the blame if this goes wrong!

Who?

Suddenly a bright light enveloped Summer and the frightening, cold feeling left her body.  She felt herself drifting to a sweet, sweet sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Summer awakened to a gentle breeze on her face.  The sound of rustling leaves tickled her ears and the crisp air delighted her senses.  She felt completely calm and all the tension that she previously had flew away in an instant.  Summer knew she was in her special place once more.  This time she was determined to not wake up.  If I could stay here forever.  The thought continuously ran through her mind.  Something felt different, however.  She noticed her waterfall and felt compelled to it.  Slowly, she made her way to the falling water.  Because her attention was completely captured by it, Summer failed to notice a boulder on the ground.  The boulder grasped her foot and her body made its way to the floor.

“Ow!!” She yelped in pain.  Summer wrapped her arms around her hurt knee and wiped the tears that were forced out of her eyes.

“Wait...Why does this hurt?”  She suddenly realized that she was not asleep. This was her reality.

“How did I get here?”

                Summer began to hear strange whispers coming from the waterfall.  She continued her venture towards it.  She stopped in front of the wall of continuous pouring liquid.  It was loud... and Summer was scared.  In her dreams, she was sure to never cross this boundary.  What would she find?

                She closed her eyes, and stepped into the fall.

 

                Summer couldn’t believe her vision.  The grass was a strange light blue color.  The sky looked as if it had been painted with pink water colors and there were bright lights dabbed throughout it.  What looked like trees were a purple color as they swayed back and forth. 

“I guess she technically found her way here.”

“Yeah, with a ridiculous amount of our help.”

                It registered to her that there was what looked like a man and woman who seemed to be waiting for her.  The woman’s arms were crossed, as her long strangely colored hair waved about.  The man had a big smile on his face and an oddly shaped Mohawk on the top of his head. 

                “Summer!  We’ve been waiting for you!” Yelled the man with a Mohawk.

                “Me?” Summer asked in a confused tone.  She hadn’t the faintest idea of what was going on.  Mohawk man’s arm suddenly began to make its way towards her.  She wondered what he was doing...because he was several feet away.  His arm then began to do something inhuman: it started to stretch as if it were bubble gum!  It tried to make its way to Summer's hand.

                “Ahh! What in the world?!”  She yelled in horror and stumbled to the ground.

                “Syrian, I don’t think humans have that ability.  We don’t want to scare the poor girl.”

                “Oops...I didn’t realize.”  Syrian’s hand shortened back into its original form.

                “Maybe you should go to her, Maple...she’s probably extremely terrified of me now.”  Syrian looked defeated.

                The woman, who was apparently named Maple, started to walk slowly towards Summer.  She had a majestic walk.  So beautiful...Summer had thought at that moment.

                “Summer, you must be confused.  Welcome to the world of Summer.”

                Did she just say the world of Summer?

                Suddenly, various forms of creatures of different colors began to peer out from the trees and bushes. 

                “Wh-what the!?  What are those things?!”  Summer nearly had a heart attack.

                Maple looked in to Summer's eyes and said, “We are known as Summerlings... And you created us.”


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2015 Kennedia


Author's Note

Kennedia
It's not finished, and it's my first attempt. I'm not very experienced in writing!:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the concept is enchanting, and you had a handful of really great lines! I think, personally, that what would take this story to the next level would be to take it from first person to third. I think that would open the doors for more possibilities. My only criticism would be to expand on the vocabulary used and to double check grammar! Otherwise, well done and interesting!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kennedia

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! I completely agree about changing the point of view! I have gone in and made th.. read more



Reviews

The idea is fantastic and the writing is truly compelling. Just watch out for cliches (chicken with its head cut off, etc) and only one exclamation point is needed at any given time.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I read it again since you made the switch and I have to say third person makes it seem so much more magical! You should be proud, this is well done so far! I also can't believe you used my advice, I'm very honored, because it took your story to another level, thank you for listening! I can't wait to see what you dish out next, well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think the concept is enchanting, and you had a handful of really great lines! I think, personally, that what would take this story to the next level would be to take it from first person to third. I think that would open the doors for more possibilities. My only criticism would be to expand on the vocabulary used and to double check grammar! Otherwise, well done and interesting!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kennedia

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! I completely agree about changing the point of view! I have gone in and made th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

378 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2015
Last Updated on June 10, 2015
Tags: fantasy, child, magical, happy, turmoil, short, beginning