Ancient Secrets

Ancient Secrets

A Story by Kerunai
"

I'm new to the world of Sci-Fi and I am trying to expand my knowledge as well as work on my skills in this area. Cover art is done by Zauberlich @

"

Darkness. Pitch black darkness that swallowed all available light. Cold. Nearly absolute zero, where no heat could be found. A feeling of floating, but there was a strong sense of being crushed that couldn’t be escaped. The pressure was building, threatening to erase all life. His eyes snapped open and the black that had once filled his mind, vanished into a haze of red. Alarms blared with a deafening nose, beyond the assumed safety of his sleeping pod. The hydrogen rich water that helped him to breath, was beginning to drain away. This accounted for the pressure he felt in his dreams. Quickly he reached for his mask, filled it with what little water remained, and fastened it quickly, with practiced precision. He scanned the room he was in, and quickly pressed the emergency release button on the inside of his pod. 

 

Noting that no one was here as of yet, he quickly closed his pod so as to not arise immediate suspicion. Focusing on controlling the irregular breathing, eyes of red would begin to asses the situation. His deep sleep cycle had been disturbed by a thundering of alarms, the emergency shut down had been initiated and now he was free from his dream into the chaos that surrounded him. When he had first begun the cycle, the ship was nearing Pirate controlled space. He wasn’t sure how much time had passed, or if they had even exited hyper-drive. He focused on the soles of his feet, feeling the ship’s movement, attempted to listen to the hum of it’s engine. Nothing could be definite over the sound of the alarms. With quick movements he went to the cabinet and grabbed his form fitted suit, donned his Lieutenant’s jacket, and buckled his boots. 

 

Other than the blasting alarm that rang throughout the ship, it was eerily silent. There was no pounding of boots along the metallic interior, no screams, no gun fire. It was as if he were still dreaming, and this was some bizarre turn of unforeseen events. For a moment he considered dreaming to be a possibility, until he turned the corner. One of his comrades at arms was pinned to the wall with his own sword. Black blood had pooled at his feet, no longer dripping from the wound. The soldier’s eyes were wide with terror. 

 

A low growl escaped his maw as he took the sword out of the other warrior's throat, placing him gently on the floor. He said the Warriors rights of passage and closed the lids, as a new wave of rage took over. He silently made his way to the cockpit, hoping to figure out what exactly was going on. There were plenty of on board cameras there perhaps he could discover the source. His limbs were still weak from having just been woken from his sleeping cycle. He struggled to wake up his groggy muscles, flexing his hands. It wasn't long before he made his way to the front of the small scouting ship.

 

He focused on waking up his body. He opened and closed all three of his eyes, stretched his long neck, rolled his shoulders, and breathed deeply through his water filled mask. His tail swung lazily behind him as he slowly opened the door that led to the cockpit. The lights in the main room were out, other than the blinking red of the alarms. In the flashes of blood red light the scene was unfolding around him. A yellow indicator on the dash of the console, where the hyperdrive controls were located, indicated that something had gone afoul during hyper space travel. This would have been nothing all that complex, save for the dead comrade he had just seen. 

 

He held the pistol he always had holstered at the ready. Preparing for anything that might come his way. His boots echoed on the metal flooring, until they made a wet sound, stepping on some form of liquid. Glancing down at his feet he noticed the black blood, and noted that it was still flowing. Quickly he spun and pointed the flashlight at the end of his pistol in the direction of the trail of blood, only to see another comrade, still alive, though barely. He was clawing at his own throat, a grim smile on his features as he did so.

 

 

“Eislek..” The soldier stopped his clawing to reach for the newly woken Draqu warrior. Eislek lifted this pistol to aim at the soldiers head, firing once. A clean shot to the temple exploded through the soldier’s skull, killing him instantly. No sooner did the lights leave the soldiers eyes, that Eislek’s peripheral vision caught movement to his right. He spun on his heels, but slipped in the spilled blood of his comrade, sending him to the floor with a thud. Using his heels to move backwards so that his back was against the nearest console he trained his weapon in the direction of the movement he had seen.  

 

He knew now that his comrade had not been reaching, but trying to point at what had been behind him. The source of what had gone wrong. What came out of the shadows in the red glow of the alarm lights, illuminated by the beam of his gun’s flashlight, was the captain. His eyes were wide and crazed, his mouth twisted in some strange form of smile. He was on all fours, as if a wild animal, instead of the revered captain that Eislek had come to honor. The only sound that came from the creature before him, was a maniacal laughter. Dried blood coated his claws, and his tail swished back and forth, like a nettik’s before it struck.

 

“It saw us, Eislek. We saw it! Oh but you didn’t see it. You were in dreamland, so perhaps it too did not see you! But it knows you were here. It told us all to kill! Fight it, we tried. That taunting voice. Beautiful, wretched voice. They lie, Eislek. The drive is not safe. Kill it I did. Had to. Not before it got hold of me. I’m gonna kill you soon. But first you must know. You must know! I tried to fight. But it sees you. Inside you. There is no escaping what lies inside.” 

 

The male before him seemed to be looking for an opening to pounce. Eislek aimed his gun at the captain he had come to revere, his mind froze. Even with the carnage that had come about, knowing that his captain had been the cause, Eislek froze, not wanting to kill the soldier he once honored. The crazed male before him seemed to fly from his spot in front of him and strike his gun from his hand. Eislek and the Draqu warrior he once called captain began to grapple. Claws ripped and tore at fabric as well as flesh. The two males slid along the floor, thanks to the blood of another, and the sounds of flesh and bone being banged against metal. Eilek reached for the gun that was just out of reach, just as the captain drew his own pistol. It was fast, a few flashes and a vicious thundering of metal meeting flesh and bone..

© 2016 Kerunai


Author's Note

Kerunai
I'm still trying to understand the formatting process from copying from my writing program onto this site, and words sometimes get cut, not sure how to fix this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on September 5, 2016
Last Updated on September 5, 2016
Tags: space, lizzard, man, reptile, alien, fish, dragon, draqu, science, fiction, sci-fi, worlds, planet, travel, secrets, ancient, guns, ship, spaceship

Author

Kerunai
Kerunai

About
I love to write, and I am learning to edit. So please, feel free to give crit! All cover art has been done by: http://zauberlich.deviantart.com/gallery/ He accepts all sorts of commissions so please c.. more..

Writing